Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Has anyone moved from KDE3.5 to KDE4?

Re: Has anyone moved from KDE3.5 to KDE4?

Gordon

On 2009-11-05, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Has anyone made the leap from KDE3.5 to KDE4? I still use KDE3.5.10 as my
> main desktop and work and at home and it suits my needs fine, but I'm not
> happy that it's no longer being actively maintained. I will make the change
> to KDE 4.3 eventually but from what I can tell there a some features
> missing - in particular the ability to run multiple session of KDE (i.e.
> two X sessions at once).

By all accounts 4.3 is the fit for use by all version. I have tried it on
and off and struggled to find the eye candy that is usefuel, as one reviewer
said. Gone LxDE to side step the need to get used to KDE4

Enkidu

Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-11-05, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Has anyone made the leap from KDE3.5 to KDE4? I still use KDE3.5.10 as my
>> main desktop and work and at home and it suits my needs fine, but I'm not
>> happy that it's no longer being actively maintained. I will make the change
>> to KDE 4.3 eventually but from what I can tell there a some features
>> missing - in particular the ability to run multiple session of KDE (i.e.
>> two X sessions at once).

> By all accounts 4.3 is the fit for use by all version. I have tried it on
> and off and struggled to find the eye candy that is usefuel, as one reviewer
> said. Gone LxDE to side step the need to get used to KDE4

I've just removed the KDE desktop (version 4.something). My machine
feels much fresher and cleaner now after all that eye candy gunk was
removed.

Incidentally, it didn't go quietly. On the first try, it suggested that
it was going to remove almost everything if it was going to be removed.
I got around that using a hint in an Ubuntu forum. It still left some
packages in a half-installed state, but I got around that too, but it
still left the KUbuntu splash screen. I had to remove and reinstall the
Gnome splash screen to fix that one!

Of course I've still got the KDE libs - I need them for Amarok and a few
games.

Cheers,

Cliff