Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > RAM usage in Windows 7 64 bit

RAM usage in Windows 7 64 bit

Bobby Johnson

Then your best bet is to contact Biostar Support and ask them why you
only get 3GB RAM with Win 7.

Are you sure you have the Windows 7 x64 version installed?

Endlessknight wrote:
> It was already set to "disable" setting to "enable" did nothing of note
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Then you need to find the setting in Memory for a "Memory Hole" and
>> change the setting.
>>

>> Endlessknight wrote:
>>> The motherboard manual says max ram is 4GB.
>>>
>>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

R. C. White

Hi, Bob.

In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another user
is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which reports 4.0 GB
RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is running 64-bit
Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no such limit in my Win7
x64 with 4 GB on board.

So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM limitation.
As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the mobo or somewhere
other than in Win7 itself.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Bob Costello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XE1Km.5910$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob Costello wrote:
>> Upgraded to Windows7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit. Added RAM to 5GB (reason
>> I upgraded to 64 bit was to get around the 3GB 32 bit limitation.) Now
>> system shows 5GB but only 3.3GB available for use. Task manager shows
>> 5.12GB installed, 3.326GB available or cached and 1.794GB "hardware
>> reserved"(?). Is this 1.794 not available for software? If not, how to
>> make it available for software?
>>
>> I really wanted the performance improvement of 64 bit and increased RAM.
>> How do I get Windows7 64 bit to utilize the full 5 GB?
>>
>> System is HP running 64 capable 2.13 hz dual core Intel.

> I am definitely running 64 bits. Did a clean install and it shows it is
> running 64 bits. Board is ASUS Tek Leonite 5.00 and the bios is Phoenix
> Tech LTD 5.09. The computer is an HP Media Center with 2.13 GHz Intel
> Core 2 HP-Pavilion RT680AA-ABA m7747c.
>
> Sounds like it is a BIOS limitation. I see no option in Bios to change
> anything related to this.

Franz Leu

R. C. White schrieb:
> Hi, Bob.
>
> In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another
> user is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which
> reports 4.0 GB RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is
> running 64-bit Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no
> such limit in my Win7 x64 with 4 GB on board.
>
> So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM
> limitation. As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the
> mobo or somewhere other than in Win7 itself.
>
> RC

Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
results in exact that difference for the RAM.
This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too
much does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB
should be a minimum.

HTH
Franz

Endlessknight

Positive it's x64. Thanks for your help.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Then your best bet is to contact Biostar Support and ask them why you only
> get 3GB RAM with Win 7.
>
> Are you sure you have the Windows 7 x64 version installed?
>

> Endlessknight wrote:
>> It was already set to "disable" setting to "enable" did nothing of note
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Then you need to find the setting in Memory for a "Memory Hole" and
>>> change the setting.

freddie b.

Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this operation,
one must fully understand the design concept of the manufacturer. The 32 bit
operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios. That being said, you can't
get 64 bit performance from a 32 bit tree. All configurations will remain in
the 32 bit realm. That being said, change the bios from 32 bit to 64 bit.
Contact the manufacturer and ask for a 64 bit image of the bios. Understand
that the hardware installed in the machine may have driver issues when going
from 32 bit to 64 bit. The operating system should fix this if drivers are
available. This should fix your problem forever. Your only limitation in ram
upgrade will be bios and physical machine profiles.
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

"Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. C. White schrieb:
>> Hi, Bob.
>>
>> In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another
>> user is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which reports
>> 4.0 GB RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is running
>> 64-bit Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no such limit
>> in my Win7 x64 with 4 GB on board.
>>
>> So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM limitation.
>> As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the mobo or
>> somewhere other than in Win7 itself.
>>
>> RC

> Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
> results in exact that difference for the RAM.
> This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too much
> does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB should be
> a minimum.
>
> HTH
> Franz

Bobby Johnson

Please find me just one link to any motherboard manufacturer that lists
a 64-bit BIOS.

There are NONE! There is no such thing in the wild!

freddie b. wrote:
> Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
> operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this
> operation, one must fully understand the design concept of the
> manufacturer. The 32 bit operating system was supported by a 32 bit
> bios. That being said, you can't get 64 bit performance from a 32 bit
> tree. All configurations will remain in the 32 bit realm. That being
> said, change the bios from 32 bit to 64 bit. Contact the manufacturer
> and ask for a 64 bit image of the bios. Understand that the hardware
> installed in the machine may have driver issues when going from 32 bit
> to 64 bit. The operating system should fix this if drivers are
> available. This should fix your problem forever. Your only limitation in
> ram upgrade will be bios and physical machine profiles.
> Thanks for your attention to this matter.
>
> "Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> R. C. White schrieb:
>>> Hi, Bob.
>>>
>>> In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general,
>>> another user is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer,
>>> which reports 4.0 GB RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that,
>>> yes, he is running 64-bit Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there
>>> showing no such limit in my Win7 x64 with 4 GB on board.
>>>
>>> So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM
>>> limitation. As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the
>>> mobo or somewhere other than in Win7 itself.
>>>
>>> RC

>> Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory,
>> which results in exact that difference for the RAM.
>> This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too
>> much does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB
>> should be a minimum.
>>
>> HTH
>> Franz

Tom Lake

"freddie b." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
> operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this operation,
> one must fully understand the design concept of the manufacturer. The 32
> bit operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios.

The BIOS in ROM has nothing to do with the bitness of the OS. Vista and Win
7
don't use the ROM for anything. It's totally replaced by 64-bit software
after
IPL. The ROM is only used to load the first part of the OS which then loads
the
rest of the OS. ROM calls haven't been used since Win ME. Soon there won't
even be a ROM BIOS. It is being replaced by EFI. In any case, ROM BIOS is
16-bit program, not 32-bit.

Tom Lake

Paul Shapiro

Agreed. Many BIOS's do have a setting to enable more than 4GB ram. The
setting might be called Enable Memory Mapping, or whatever other label the
motherboard mfg might have applied. That should only be enabled when running
a 64-bit os. It re-maps peripheral ram addresses out of the way so all
installed ram can be used.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please find me just one link to any motherboard manufacturer that lists a
> 64-bit BIOS.
>
> There are NONE! There is no such thing in the wild!
>

> freddie b. wrote:
>> Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
>> operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this
>> operation, one must fully understand the design concept of the
>> manufacturer. The 32 bit operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios.
>> That being said, you can't get 64 bit performance from a 32 bit tree. All
>> configurations will remain in the 32 bit realm. That being said, change
>> the bios from 32 bit to 64 bit. Contact the manufacturer and ask for a
>> 64 bit image of the bios. Understand that the hardware installed in the
>> machine may have driver issues when going from 32 bit to 64 bit. The
>> operating system should fix this if drivers are available. This should
>> fix your problem forever. Your only limitation in ram upgrade will be
>> bios and physical machine profiles.
>> Thanks for your attention to this matter.
>>
>> "Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
>>> results in exact that difference for the RAM.
>>> This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too
>>> much does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB
>>> should be a minimum.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Franz

infamous_otter

haha, gues what this is a known issue by microsoft and a very commo
issue with windows 7. I am having the same issue, upgrade from vist
(wich read all 6 gigs of my ram) to win 7 64bit wich sees all 6 gigs bu
but only considers 3.5 gigs usuable. Yup thats right Windows 7 64 Bi
sometimes just cant get past that 3.5 gig memory limit.

After spending a week dealing with microsoft tech support on the phon
they considerd this issue unresolved and claim the are currently workin
on an update to fix it.

according to the tech guy from microsoft, it is an issue with the bio
and the motherboard. all of you that are having this problem, it i
becuase something in windows 7 does not fully support either your mothe
board or your bios or both. The memory mapping will do you no good.
Unless you go out and buy the most latest motherboard, processor an
ram, you are going to continue to have this issue.* <-- Directly fro
microsoft tech support.

To the guy that posted this "It also depends on exactly which versio
of the board you have. There
are 3 editions of the PT880 Pro-A7 and the specs for 2 of them is only
2GB of RAM is supported. Now, even though they say only 2GB is
supported you may realize a bit more than that but not all 4GB. Dell
says my 1501 laptop only supports 2GB. With 4GB in the laptop Dell has
it configured so that Win 7 only sees 2.25GB."

Gues what? They lied to you. Their hardware is not fully compatibl
with windows 7. That is why it only sees 2.25 gb.

So... since I have installed windows 7 64 bit, I have lost over half o
my ram (3.5gigs Unusable), I have lost the ability to print on any o
the 20 printers at my home and office (there are as of yet no driver
for windows 7 64 bit on most printers), oh yeah, and the latest window
update killed microsoft office.

Check out this screen shot of windows 7 64bit not passing the 3.5 gi
memory limit http://www.rustycage.net/sysinfo.jpg

EPIC FAIL!!!

*I want my money back.

--
infamous_otte
infamous_otter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163605.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

Arie Broekhuizen

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT from September 2009 and Windows 7 (64 Bits)
installed.
The latest available BIOS is installed (Version 1.1.3)
This computer reports 6 Mb memory from the installed 6 Mb memory.
So what's the problem ??

Arie.B

"infamous_otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...