Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Well 3 stikes and you out and with No solid evidence of it.

Reply
Thread Tools

Well 3 stikes and you out and with No solid evidence of it.

 
 
Mary Hanna
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009

Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes policy to
disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid evidence or a
court order


Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free trade
talks.


http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...irates-091104/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
"Mary Hanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes policy
> to
> disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid evidence
> or a
> court order
>
>
> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free trade
> talks.
>
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...irates-091104/


Also, makes non-commercial copyright infringement a criminal rather than a
civil offense. Nice.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Hewett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
Mary Hanna wrote:
> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes policy
> to disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid
> evidence or a court order
> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free trade
> talks.
> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...rns-isps-into-

pirates-091104/

And - why is it being kept so secret?
What is there to hide?


http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2576630080B002
"If correct, this is cause for alarm and shows a significant change in
ACTA's focus,” says InternetNZ spokesperson Jordan Carter.
“The New Zealand negotiators need to argue for ACTA to focus on the big
economic problems caused by commercial piracy. The government should clarify
this stance and should put more information about what exactly is under
discussion into the public domain - and the sooner the better," he says.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257663006C3E16



 
Reply With Quote
 
Msg. Scooter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
On , , Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:15:04 +1300, Re: Well 3 stikes and you out and with No
solid evidence of it., "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mary Hanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes policy
>> to
>> disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid evidence
>> or a
>> court order
>>
>>
>> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free trade
>> talks.
>>
>>
>> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...irates-091104/

>
>Also, makes non-commercial copyright infringement a criminal rather than a
>civil offense. Nice.


It is really quite simple, don't pinch someone elses work.
What is so bloody difficult about that?

--
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.
 
Reply With Quote
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009

"Peter Hewett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hctsgp$mho$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Mary Hanna wrote:
>> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes
>> policy
>> to disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid
>> evidence or a court order
>> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free
>> trade
>> talks.
>> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...rns-isps-into-

> pirates-091104/
>
> And - why is it being kept so secret?
> What is there to hide?
>
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2576630080B002
> "If correct, this is cause for alarm and shows a significant change in
> ACTA's focus,” says InternetNZ spokesperson Jordan Carter.
> “The New Zealand negotiators need to argue for ACTA to focus on the big
> economic problems caused by commercial piracy. The government should
> clarify
> this stance and should put more information about what exactly is under
> discussion into the public domain - and the sooner the better," he says.
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257663006C3E16
>
>


Why "focus on the big economic problems caused by commercial piracy" and not
piracy itself? Are you suggesting that violation of copyright is ok so long
as you don't try to sell the goods you've pirated?

 
Reply With Quote
 
peterwn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
On Nov 5, 7:48*pm, Peter Hewett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mary Hanna wrote:
> > Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes policy
> > to disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid
> > evidence or a court order
> > Seems that we *will be in the same boat If Ozz is, *plus the US free trade
> > talks.
> >http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...rns-isps-into-

>
> pirates-091104/
>
> And - why is it being kept so secret?
> What is there to hide?


To try and prevent popular debate on the matter before state parties
have initially signed the treaty. those promoting the treaty have so
far been able to do a lot of work on it without interference from
opponents, protestors, etc.

The fundamental issue state parties are being confronted with is what
is a practical and effective way of protecting property interests in
creative works in a similar manner that owners of real estate and
other property are protected by society.

It is very difficult to argue with the proposition that owners of
intellectual property would expect, in a civilised society, that the
state provides mechanisms to help protect their property rights.

The issue then becomes one of how to protect these interests without
indue effect on ordinary human rights.

 
Reply With Quote
 
peterwn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
On Nov 5, 5:56*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes policy to
> disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid evidence or a
> court order
>
> Seems that we *will be in the same boat If Ozz is, *plus the US free trade
> talks.
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...-isps-into-pir...


I have responded to a similar thread on nz.comp as (because it is an
important matter):

> And - why is it being kept so secret?
> What is there to hide?


To try and prevent popular debate on the matter before state parties
have initially signed the treaty. those promoting the treaty have so
far been able to do a lot of work on it without interference from
opponents, protestors, etc.

The fundamental issue state parties are being confronted with is what
is a practical and effective way of protecting property interests in
creative works in a similar manner that owners of real estate and
other property are protected by society.

It is very difficult to argue with the proposition that owners of
intellectual property would expect, in a civilised society, that the
state provides mechanisms to help protect their property rights.

The issue then becomes one of how to protect these interests without
indue effect on ordinary human rights.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
"Msg. Scooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On , , Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:15:04 +1300, Re: Well 3 stikes and you out and
> with No
> solid evidence of it., "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Mary Hanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes
>>> policy
>>> to
>>> disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid
>>> evidence
>>> or a
>>> court order
>>>
>>>
>>> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free
>>> trade
>>> talks.
>>>
>>>
>>> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...irates-091104/

>>
>>Also, makes non-commercial copyright infringement a criminal rather than a
>>civil offense. Nice.

>
> It is really quite simple, don't pinch someone elses work.
> What is so bloody difficult about that?


Yeah, that's grossly oversimplified.

I recently got an illegally duplicated copy of a book that I wanted to read
but is out of print, and has been for 20 years. It's a collector's item and
is hard to find, and if you do manage to find it goes for around US$8000 a
copy. I'm not a collector, I just wanted to read it, I own legitimate
copies of all of the author's other works, and it's the 2nd book in a
trilogy that I have book 1 & 3 of.

I guess I should have just stumped up the US$8000 or be prepared to do jail
time huh.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger_Nickel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 19:48:57 +1300, Peter Hewett wrote:

> Mary Hanna wrote:
>> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes
>> policy to disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without
>> solid evidence or a court order
>> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free
>> trade talks.
>> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...rns-isps-into-

> pirates-091104/
>
> And - why is it being kept so secret? What is there to hide?
>
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/

EEC8CEAFC9C54B90CC2576630080B002
> "If correct, this is cause for alarm and shows a significant change in
> ACTA's focus,” says InternetNZ spokesperson Jordan Carter. “The New
> Zealand negotiators need to argue for ACTA to focus on the big economic
> problems caused by commercial piracy. The government should clarify this
> stance and should put more information about what exactly is under
> discussion into the public domain - and the sooner the better," he says.
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/

news/76BBB732F7361984CC257663006C3E16

The attempt to redefine copyright infringement (a civil offence) as
counterfeiting- (a criminal offence) is what disturbs me. No one has yet
explained to me exactly why why an Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
should be addressing copyright infringement. TRIPS, Berne Convention etc.
already address copyright.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Msg. Scooter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2009
On , , Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:21:50 +1300, Re: Well 3 stikes and you out and with No
solid evidence of it., "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Msg. Scooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On , , Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:15:04 +1300, Re: Well 3 stikes and you out and
>> with No
>> solid evidence of it., "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>"Mary Hanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>
>>>> Among other things, the ACTA draft calls for a global three-strikes
>>>> policy
>>>> to
>>>> disconnect alleged file-sharers from the Internet, without solid
>>>> evidence
>>>> or a
>>>> court order
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Seems that we will be in the same boat If Ozz is, plus the US free
>>>> trade
>>>> talks.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> http://torrentfreak.com/secret-anti-...irates-091104/
>>>
>>>Also, makes non-commercial copyright infringement a criminal rather than a
>>>civil offense. Nice.

>>
>> It is really quite simple, don't pinch someone elses work.
>> What is so bloody difficult about that?

>
>Yeah, that's grossly oversimplified.
>
>I recently got an illegally duplicated copy of a book that I wanted to read
>but is out of print, and has been for 20 years. It's a collector's item and
>is hard to find, and if you do manage to find it goes for around US$8000 a
>copy. I'm not a collector, I just wanted to read it, I own legitimate
>copies of all of the author's other works, and it's the 2nd book in a
>trilogy that I have book 1 & 3 of.
>
>I guess I should have just stumped up the US$8000 or be prepared to do jail
>time huh.


In a simplified explanation to you, I would say "Yes, you should be prepared to
jail time."
You acknowledge that you know that what you are doing is wrong where you say
"illegally".
No matter how you attempt to justify it to yourself and me, you know whatyou did
was wrong. It is still theft if you take an illegal copy.

--
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WEll you can not believe all that you read Gordon NZ Computing 3 07-29-2010 12:59 AM
Doing C# Development? Do you tend to color outside the lines andconsider yourself to be Creative? This is SOLID C# development onSTEROIDS!.. mikelaka@gmail.com C Programming 0 09-07-2009 02:33 PM
Doing C# Development? Do you tend to color outside the lines andconsider yourself to be Creative? This is SOLID C# development onSTEROIDS!.. mikelaka@gmail.com Python 0 09-07-2009 02:32 PM
Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive? Spin Computer Support 9 03-10-2008 09:32 AM
Hi Whats considered to be a well priced and well reviewed plasma tv 42 inch and above ? Hmmmmmmm DVD Video 8 09-28-2004 09:32 AM



Advertisments