Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration...............

Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration...............

BigglesZz

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11...a_frustration/

Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

And that's a sentiment already being voiced in the Ubuntu forums. Ubuntu
9.10 upgrader graydo64 posted: "Wish I'd done a clean install. Appreciate
that as an existing and generally content Ubuntu user I'm not Joe Public
but if I were I'd have dropped Ubuntu at about 9.30 last night and
toddled off to find a copy of Windows 7."

pretty sad reading ..& it is from the Theregister ... wonder how the
cola trolls / sailorsam will bypass this **** storm /disaster ...

Bigglesszzzz

BigglesZz

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:29:56 +1200, vitw wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
>> wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

> What do people expect?
>
> Forget what the website says.
> The real translation of 'Ubuntu' is 'death and rebirth twice a year'.
>
> Expecting a clean upgrade from one buntu version to the next is like
> driving at over 100km/h with your eyes shut.
>
> I gave up buntu 3 years ago and went back to Debian Unstable which,
> ironically, is one of the most stable operating systems available.

Beats me why people worship ubuntu either ... opensuse are claiming
rolling upgrades with 11.2 ...

And blaming it all on upgrades is .... well blinkered,,,,

Lots of people clean installed ubuntu and still had tons of freakin
problems .. just go read their forums.

Does Debian do rolling upgrades from one OS version to the next release?
And i dont want to be in the crap situation that ubuntu users end up in,

I heard the debian devs do as much in fighting as the gentoo devs ..
which kinda put me off it .. if Im wrong on this please .........
correct me lol.

Bigglezzz

Enkidu

vitw wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
>> wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

> What do people expect?
>
> Forget what the website says. The real translation of 'Ubuntu' is
> 'death and rebirth twice a year'.
>
> Expecting a clean upgrade from one buntu version to the next is like
> driving at over 100km/h with your eyes shut.

I've upgraded Ubuntu several times, with variable luck. KK is not too
bad. At least there is an upgrade path. The other OS doesn't even allow
an upgrade.

Cheers,

Cliff

victor

Enkidu wrote:
> vitw wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
>>> wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

>> What do people expect?
>>
>> Forget what the website says. The real translation of 'Ubuntu' is
>> 'death and rebirth twice a year'.
>>
>> Expecting a clean upgrade from one buntu version to the next is like
>> driving at over 100km/h with your eyes shut.
>>

> I've upgraded Ubuntu several times, with variable luck. KK is not too
> bad. At least there is an upgrade path. The other OS doesn't even allow
> an upgrade.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I have Google Chrome and several launchpad ppa apps etc that aren't in
the main distro, so I like to keep my options open.
I prefer to make a new OS partition, do a clean install, then symlink my
content into my home directory so that each app keeps its own new settings.