Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Adaptec SCSI adapter, 2940 -lack of 64 bit drivers

Adaptec SCSI adapter, 2940 -lack of 64 bit drivers

Peter Chant

Any idea whether I can expect drivers to appear for my SCSI card for Win 7
64 bit?

Pete
--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Chant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Any idea whether I can expect drivers to appear for my SCSI card for Win 7
>64 bit?

Thanks Pete for that snippet of information. I guess I will have to stick with
XP x64. It is good enough for my needs.

Richard Urban

When Adaptec makes them available - if ever. Did you check the manufacturers
web site for drivers?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Peter Chant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any idea whether I can expect drivers to appear for my SCSI card for Win 7
> 64 bit?
>
> Pete
> --
> http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Charlie Russel - MVP

You don't specify which 2940 card, there are many variants. The original
2940 is a very old card indeed, but has Vista drivers which should work for
Windows 7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Peter Chant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any idea whether I can expect drivers to appear for my SCSI card for Win 7
> 64 bit?
>
> Pete
> --
> http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

Richard Urban wrote:

> When Adaptec makes them available - if ever. Did you check the
> manufacturers web site for drivers?

First place I checked.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

> You don't specify which 2940 card, there are many variants. The original
> 2940 is a very old card indeed, but has Vista drivers which should work
> for Windows 7.

There's the thing - the box it came in says it is a 2904 and Win 7 states it
is a 2940UW! However, for both these cards Adaptec have only Vista 32 bit
drivers. The cards not all that old, a few years so I thought it would be
supported.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

> Thanks Pete for that snippet of information. I guess I will have to stick
> with
> XP x64. It is good enough for my needs.

I repartitioned and kept my XP partition just in case, but can also use
linux to do my scanning (card is needed for SCSI scanner).

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

philo wrote:

> I would *guess* that 64bit XP drivers would work

Worth a try

> If you try XP drivers, there is a risk of course...
> I did it right after a fresh install so had nothing to risk

I don't keep data on the machine so no issue if it goes wrong.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk