Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Creating delay in divider

Creating delay in divider

THurkmans

Hello,

I have a design in which I have a 1/x operation, which cannot be
optimized away. I'm using the fixed-point library of the new vhdl
standard, which supplies me with a reciprocal function.

Synthesizing such a design in synplify is giving me an sdiv block, and
a very large delay (probably due to the fact that it operates in one
clock cycle).

How can I modify my design such that I can still use the reciprocal
function of the fixed point library, but have a delay of multiple
clock cycles? Or do I have to build a dedicated divider?

Greetings,
Tim

KJ

On Nov 4, 10:22*am, THurkmans <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How can I modify my design such that I can still use the reciprocal
> function of the fixed point library, but have a delay of multiple
> clock cycles? Or do I have to build a dedicated divider?

Google for lpm_divide. It's a divider that operates on multiple clock
cycles.

KJ

Calculating propagation delay & transmission delay Stone Cisco 1 09-27-2006 06:26 PM
MCU clock divider vs. VHDL divider Matt Clement VHDL 3 04-28-2006 01:24 PM
Frequency divider Patrick VHDL 6 05-21-2004 05:32 AM
clk divider Schmigz VHDL 7 04-15-2004 08:23 AM
SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!! kpk VHDL 37 01-06-2004 02:53 PM

Advertisments