Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Multimedia keyboard install query

Multimedia keyboard install query

zulu

Widows XP Pro sp2
Dell Dimension 9510

My old multimedia keyboard is dying!

I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.

How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before installing
the new one?

Rod

rf

zulu wrote:
> Widows XP Pro sp2
> Dell Dimension 9510
>
> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
>
> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
>
> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
> installing the new one?

Why do you feel that you need to?

zulu

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fEdIm.52099$(E-Mail Removed)...
> zulu wrote:
>> Widows XP Pro sp2
>> Dell Dimension 9510
>>
>> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
>>
>> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
>>
>> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
>> installing the new one?

> Why do you feel that you need to?

Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!
....and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean sheet.

So just humor me, please...

TIA

rf

zulu wrote:
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fEdIm.52099$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> zulu wrote:
>>> Widows XP Pro sp2
>>> Dell Dimension 9510
>>>
>>> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
>>>
>>> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
>>>
>>> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
>>> installing the new one?

>> Why do you feel that you need to?

> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!

Why didn't' you take it back to the store and complain under waranty?

> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean
> sheet.

But it is a different sheet, clean or otherwise. It's a different
peripheral, different drivers. Like selling your ford and then buying a
honda. Your garage doesn't care.

If you really try hard you could find the windows device manager (it's
Really Hard To Find) and uninstall your current keyboard. That is assuming
your currrent keyboard is actually working.

If all else fails you can, as Ben C says, format your hard drive.

> So just humor me, please...

Why? There is nothing funny in here.

zulu

"Andy" <no@invalid> wrote in message
newsq98s6-fp4.ln1@unique_and_different_just_like_everyone_el se.westnet.com.au...
> zulu wrote:
>

>> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fEdIm.52099$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why do you feel that you need to?

>> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!
>> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean sheet.
>>

>> So just humor me, please...

> OK then.
>
> Unplug the old keyboard.
>
> Plug in the new one.

That's what ****ed this one, IMHO

For a stsrt, the drivers are dated 2001..

NOW, HOW DO I ENSURE I GET RID OF ALL THE OLD CRAP.??
(No, I _don't_ want to reinstall XP)

TY

zulu

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UOeIm.52113$(E-Mail Removed)...
> zulu wrote:
>> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fEdIm.52099$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why do you feel that you need to?

>> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!

> Why didn't' you take it back to the store and complain under waranty?
>
>> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean
>> sheet.

> But it is a different sheet, clean or otherwise. It's a different
> peripheral, different drivers. Like selling your ford and then buying a
> honda. Your garage doesn't care.
>
> If you really try hard you could find the windows device manager (it's
> Really Hard To Find) and uninstall your current keyboard. That is assuming
> your currrent keyboard is actually working.
>
> If all else fails you can, as Ben C says, format your hard drive.
>

>> So just humor me, please...

> Why? There is nothing funny in here.

There is now.
I mistakenly thjought this was a helpdesk, not a lunatic asylum...

rf

zulu wrote:
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOeIm.52113$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> zulu wrote:
>>> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:fEdIm.52099$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!

>> Why didn't' you take it back to the store and complain under waranty?
>>
>>> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean
>>> sheet.

>> But it is a different sheet, clean or otherwise. It's a different
>> peripheral, different drivers. Like selling your ford and then
>> buying a honda. Your garage doesn't care.
>>
>> If you really try hard you could find the windows device manager
>> (it's Really Hard To Find) and uninstall your current keyboard. That
>> is assuming your currrent keyboard is actually working.
>>
>> If all else fails you can, as Ben C says, format your hard drive.
>>

>>> So just humor me, please...

>> Why? There is nothing funny in here.

> There is now.
> I mistakenly thjought this was a helpdesk, not a lunatic asylum...

You get what you pay for.

news:hjb8s6-ng5.ln1@unique_and_different_just_like_everyone_el se.westnet.com.au...
> zulu wrote:
>

>> "Andy" <no@invalid> wrote in message
>> newsq98s6-fp4.ln1@unique_and_different_just_like_everyone_el se.westnet.com.au...

>>> OK then.
>>>
>>> Unplug the old keyboard.
>>>
>>> Plug in the new one.
>>>

>> That's what ****ed this one, IMHO

> Plugging it in?
>
>> For a stsrt, the drivers are dated 2001..

> Er...
>
>> NOW, HOW DO I ENSURE I GET RID OF ALL THE OLD CRAP.??

> YOU DON'T. KEYBOARDS ARE 'PLUG AND PLAY' DEVICES THESE DAYS.
>
> PS - I'M GLAD YOU ARE LOOKING AT REPLACING YOUR KEYBOARD AS IT ALSO
> APPEARS THERE MIGHT BE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR CAPS LOCK/SHIFT KEYS STICKING.
>
>> (No, I _don't_ want to reinstall XP)

> Install Linux instead then.
>
> HTH!
>
> --
> Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
> XPN 1.2.6 | Leafnode 1.11.7.rc1 | kernel 2.6.28-15-generic

zulu

"Andy" <no@invalid> wrote in message
news:hjb8s6-ng5.ln1@unique_and_different_just_like_everyone_el se.westnet.com.au...
> zulu wrote:
> >

> Install Linux instead then.
>
> HTH!

What' your other nam?
OIC

Andy Pandy

Nuff said

zulu

"§nühw¤£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9CB95E7899681snuhwolfnetscapenet@216.196.9 7.142...
> "zulu" <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
> of news:76cIm.10334$(E-Mail Removed)2:
>
>> Widows XP Pro sp2
>> Dell Dimension 9510
>>
>> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
>>
>> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
>>
>> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
>> installing the new one?
>>
>> Rod
>>

> Look in Control Panel> Add Remove Programs
> Might be something there.
> If you look at the Hardware tab in Control Panel> System there should
> be a keyboard listed. Right click on the keyboard. Look at Properties.
> Then Driver. Should be enough info for you to figure it out.

Thanks for your reply
Yes indeed!
The driver listed isgeneric MS & dated 2001.
<prehistoric in computer terms!>

Listed in Hardware as *HID Keyboard Device*

There is (as I knew) a *hotkey manager* program associated with the kb.

Like I said, I just want to install the new one _correctly_, and make_sure_
I first remove all the old/out of date stuff... permanently.