Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > website connection to database time out problem : login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'

website connection to database time out problem : login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'

Maellic

Hi,

The website I am working on is built with ASP.NET and connects to a
SQL Server 2000 database. The web server and database are on the same
machine. I have recently tried to modify the timeout of the website
from 20 mn to 60 mn. I changed the timeout setting in IIS. Now the
website itself doesn't time out, however after 20 mn, when I try to
access a page that needs to connect to the database, I get the
following error message

************************************************** ****************************************
Form Request:
ASP Code:
Error Number: -2147217843
ASP Source:
Error Category: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
File: /emissionsestimation/includes/db.asp
Line: 13
ASP Description:
Date: 1/13/2004 9:26:08 AM
************************************************** ******************************************

If I access a page that doesn't connect to the database, it works
fine.

My connection string to the database is:
"PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
Id=*USER_ID*;Password=*PASSWORD*;Initial
Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"

The connection to the database works fine unless the website is idle
for 20 mn. After 60 mn, I get the time out message I expected. So the
"login failed for user" message only happens if the application is
left idle between 20 mn and 60 mn.

Maybe the database has some kind of timeout setting that needs to be
modified as well? However why the "login failed" message ? Why this
user "ANONYMOUS" ? I'm kinda confused and I'd appreciate some help
onto why this happens and what to do about it.

Thanks heaps

Maelle

Hermit Dave

you are using trusted connection and are also specifying the user name
password... that is why when the db connection fails you get
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

first remove the trusted connection... that should make that error go off...
as to why it happens after 20 mins... i am not sure...

your connection should look like this

"PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
Id=*USER_ID*;Password=*PASSWORD*;Initial
Catalog=EmissionEstimations;"

or

"PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
Initial Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"

Second thing.. if you are using ASP.NET and are using Sql 2000 consider
using SqlClient namespace instead of OleDb
sqlclient is more efficient way ...

--
Regards,

HD

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

**************

****************

> If I access a page that doesn't connect to the database, it works
> fine.
>
> My connection string to the database is:
> "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
> Id=*USER_ID*;Password=*PASSWORD*;Initial
> Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"
>
> The connection to the database works fine unless the website is idle
> for 20 mn. After 60 mn, I get the time out message I expected. So the
> "login failed for user" message only happens if the application is
> left idle between 20 mn and 60 mn.
>
> Maybe the database has some kind of timeout setting that needs to be
> modified as well? However why the "login failed" message ? Why this
> user "ANONYMOUS" ? I'm kinda confused and I'd appreciate some help
> onto why this happens and what to do about it.
>
> Thanks heaps
>
> Maelle

Hermit Dave

sorry the second connection string using trusted connection should look
something like this

"PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*; Initial
Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"

--
Regards,

HD

"Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23y$(E-Mail Removed)...
> you are using trusted connection and are also specifying the user name
> password... that is why when the db connection fails you get
> Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.
>
> first remove the trusted connection... that should make that error go

off...
> as to why it happens after 20 mins... i am not sure...
>
> your connection should look like this
>
> "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
> Id=*USER_ID*;Password=*PASSWORD*;Initial
> Catalog=EmissionEstimations;"
>
> or
>
> "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
> Initial Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"
>
> Second thing.. if you are using ASP.NET and are using Sql 2000 consider
> using SqlClient namespace instead of OleDb
> sqlclient is more efficient way ...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> HD
>
> "Maellic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > The website I am working on is built with ASP.NET and connects to a
> > SQL Server 2000 database. The web server and database are on the same
> > machine. I have recently tried to modify the timeout of the website
> > from 20 mn to 60 mn. I changed the timeout setting in IIS. Now the
> > website itself doesn't time out, however after 20 mn, when I try to
> > access a page that needs to connect to the database, I get the
> > following error message

> **************
> > Form Request:
> > ASP Code:
> > Error Number: -2147217843
> > ASP Source:
> > Error Category: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
> > File: /emissionsestimation/includes/db.asp
> > Line: 13
> > ASP Description:
> > Date: 1/13/2004 9:26:08 AM

> ****************
> >
> > If I access a page that doesn't connect to the database, it works
> > fine.
> >
> > My connection string to the database is:
> > "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*;User
> > Id=*USER_ID*;Password=*PASSWORD*;Initial
> > Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"
> >
> > The connection to the database works fine unless the website is idle
> > for 20 mn. After 60 mn, I get the time out message I expected. So the
> > "login failed for user" message only happens if the application is
> > left idle between 20 mn and 60 mn.
> >
> > Maybe the database has some kind of timeout setting that needs to be
> > modified as well? However why the "login failed" message ? Why this
> > user "ANONYMOUS" ? I'm kinda confused and I'd appreciate some help
> > onto why this happens and what to do about it.
> >
> > Thanks heaps
> >
> > Maelle

Maellic

"Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> sorry the second connection string using trusted connection should look
> something like this
>
> "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=*IP_ADRESS*; Initial
> Catalog=EmissionEstimations;Trusted_Connection=yes ;"

Thanks a lot, I'll try that and see... Hopefully it'll fix my problem
although the timeout thing is weird.

> > Second thing.. if you are using ASP.NET and are using Sql 2000 consider
> > using SqlClient namespace instead of OleDb
> > sqlclient is more efficient way ...

I'll look into it. If you know of any good websites that explain the
difference between both, I'd appreciate your pointers, otherwise I'll
just google it.

Thanks for your help

Maelle