Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless needed

Wireless needed

MapleE.

Hi:
XP with SP3
I love the PC, however there is NO wireless card inside the PC. I want to
get 'wireless' because the brand new printer has wireless capacipy, also I
want to use 'wireless' adaptor rather than snaking a long, long cable to get
Internet hooked-up.

At local Staple, there is a charge to pay for not only wireless card also
its installation, around $50.

Someone told me that there is USB for wireless, then if possible, I'd like
to get this route, rather than its installation inside the PC.

Your imputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daddy

The big consumer wireless hardware manufacturers have tutorials on their
websites where you can learn a great deal about how to setup a home network,
including what equipment to buy. Have a look at the websites for Dlink,
Linksys and Netgear. Each manufacturer also has user forums where you can
ask all your questions.

Search the web with this as your search term...

how do i setup a home network

.... and you'll come across many helpful websites with loads of information
at an introductory level.

I did these things myself and found the information very useful.

Daddy

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> XP with SP3
> I love the PC, however there is NO wireless card inside the PC. I want to
> get 'wireless' because the brand new printer has wireless capacipy, also I
> want to use 'wireless' adaptor rather than snaking a long, long cable to
> get Internet hooked-up.
>
> At local Staple, there is a charge to pay for not only wireless card also
> its installation, around $50.
>
> Someone told me that there is USB for wireless, then if possible, I'd like
> to get this route, rather than its installation inside the PC.
>
> Your imputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

MapleE.

Thanks for the response. Your suggestion going to the web-sites to gain a
knowledge is a very good idea.

In the past, I installed memory chips to two different PCs with XP/SP1 and
worked very well after that. However, a friend of mine told me that
installation of wireless card is completely different from memory chip
installation. There needs some knowledge along with expertise poking around
inside the PC. Then, I'm quite afraid whether I may tamper or break
something inside.

BTW, have you ever heard about a device similar to wireless-card that does
not require to install internally? In my guess, external wireless card or
similar. But again, he might mix it up for USB wireless adaptor that
certainly needs wireless-card.

Any suggestions are very grateful.

Thanks,

"Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The big consumer wireless hardware manufacturers have tutorials on their
> websites where you can learn a great deal about how to setup a home
> network, including what equipment to buy. Have a look at the websites for
> Dlink, Linksys and Netgear. Each manufacturer also has user forums where
> you can ask all your questions.
>
> Search the web with this as your search term...
>
> how do i setup a home network
>
> ... and you'll come across many helpful websites with loads of information
> at an introductory level.
>
> I did these things myself and found the information very useful.
>
> Daddy
>
> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi:
>> XP with SP3
>> I love the PC, however there is NO wireless card inside the PC. I want
>> to get 'wireless' because the brand new printer has wireless capacipy,
>> also I want to use 'wireless' adaptor rather than snaking a long, long
>> cable to get Internet hooked-up.
>>
>> At local Staple, there is a charge to pay for not only wireless card also
>> its installation, around $50.
>>
>> Someone told me that there is USB for wireless, then if possible, I'd
>> like to get this route, rather than its installation inside the PC.
>>
>> Your imputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,

Lem

MapleE. wrote:
> Thanks for the response. Your suggestion going to the web-sites to gain a
> knowledge is a very good idea.
>
> In the past, I installed memory chips to two different PCs with XP/SP1 and
> worked very well after that. However, a friend of mine told me that
> installation of wireless card is completely different from memory chip
> installation. There needs some knowledge along with expertise poking around
> inside the PC. Then, I'm quite afraid whether I may tamper or break
> something inside.
>
> BTW, have you ever heard about a device similar to wireless-card that does
> not require to install internally? In my guess, external wireless card or
> similar. But again, he might mix it up for USB wireless adaptor that
> certainly needs wireless-card.
>
> Any suggestions are very grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The big consumer wireless hardware manufacturers have tutorials on their
>> websites where you can learn a great deal about how to setup a home
>> network, including what equipment to buy. Have a look at the websites for
>> Dlink, Linksys and Netgear. Each manufacturer also has user forums where
>> you can ask all your questions.
>>
>> Search the web with this as your search term...
>>
>> how do i setup a home network
>>
>> ... and you'll come across many helpful websites with loads of information
>> at an introductory level.
>>
>> I did these things myself and found the information very useful.
>>
>> Daddy
>>
>> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi:
>>> XP with SP3
>>> I love the PC, however there is NO wireless card inside the PC. I want
>>> to get 'wireless' because the brand new printer has wireless capacipy,
>>> also I want to use 'wireless' adaptor rather than snaking a long, long
>>> cable to get Internet hooked-up.
>>>
>>> At local Staple, there is a charge to pay for not only wireless card also
>>> its installation, around $50.
>>>
>>> Someone told me that there is USB for wireless, then if possible, I'd
>>> like to get this route, rather than its installation inside the PC.
>>>
>>> Your imputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

Installing an internal wireless adapter (in a desktop computer) probably
is *easier* than installing additional memory. However, wireless
adapters that connect via USB are very common and in fact have some
advantages over an internal wireless adapter.

You can buy a USB adapter that looks like a "thumb drive," but the
antenna of such devices will be a compromise. On the other hand, these
are very compact, which might be an advantage is you're using a laptop
that you have to carry around.

I suggest that you buy a wireless adapter that connects to the computer
with a USB cable. This will allow you to move the antenna around for
better performance, especially if your desktop is pushed up against the
wall under your desk.

You also have to decide which wireless standard you want to use. If you
are setting up your own wireless computer, be sure to match your
wireless router with your wireless adapter. Although wireless-N has
finally been ratified, it probably will be a while before public wifi
"hot spots" migrate from wireless-G to wireless-N.

Just as examples, here are the wireless adapters that Linksys currently
is pushing: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/Adapters
As you can see, they include USB "key" types, USB with cable, PC-Cards,
and internal (PCI) cards.

Similar products are available from D-Link, Netgear, and many more.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...eless-Adapters

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Pavel A.

Have you considered also the power line LAN?
It is very easy to setup and use for non-portable computers.
Slightly more expensive than cheap USB dongles, but it is really easier and
pays off.

Regards,
--pa

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> XP with SP3
> I love the PC, however there is NO wireless card inside the PC. I want to
> get 'wireless' because the brand new printer has wireless capacipy, also I
> want to use 'wireless' adaptor rather than snaking a long, long cable to
> get Internet hooked-up.
>
> At local Staple, there is a charge to pay for not only wireless card also
> its installation, around $50.
>
> Someone told me that there is USB for wireless, then if possible, I'd like
> to get this route, rather than its installation inside the PC.
>
> Your imputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
If it is a desktop you want a Card that its Antenna can be placed above the
system.
This is a good choice,
It has an external Antenna that improves the signal and it comes with a USB
extension cable that let you put the card above the system.
The configuration is very simple since it is USB.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).