Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > SAS help

SAS help

spock

Hello All

Is there yet any support for SAS under windows 7? I have adaptec and they don't seem to
have drivers.
I have adaptec 48300 and 4800 cards.
Lee

Bobby Johnson

Not likely anytime soon. You'll have to bug Adaptec until they publish
the needed drivers.

spock wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Is there yet any support for SAS under windows 7? I have adaptec and they don't seem to
> have drivers.
> I have adaptec 48300 and 4800 cards.
> Lee

spock

Anyone else with SAS raid adapter with support for windows 7?

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not likely anytime soon. You'll have to bug Adaptec until they publish the needed
> drivers.
>
> spock wrote:
>> Hello All
>>
>> Is there yet any support for SAS under windows 7? I have adaptec and they don't seem
>> to have drivers.
>> I have adaptec 48300 and 4800 cards.
>> Lee

Dominic Payer

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ may have some.

On 03/11/2009 12:17, spock wrote:
> Anyone else with SAS raid adapter with support for windows 7?
>

> "Bobby Johnson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not likely anytime soon. You'll have to bug Adaptec until they publish the needed
>> drivers.
>>
>> spock wrote:
>>> Hello All
>>>
>>> Is there yet any support for SAS under windows 7? I have adaptec and they don't seem
>>> to have drivers.
>>> I have adaptec 48300 and 4800 cards.
>>> Lee

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yech. I've seen a fair number of reports of issues...

I've had good success with 3Ware cards. Their support statement for Win7 is
shown here: http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15540

My Adaptec card works out of the box with Server 2k8 R2, so should also for
Win7.

There are a lot of drivers in Win7 for SAS and other RAID cards. So far I
haven't had one that wasn't recognized. And if it isn't, it should be able
to use a Vista/Server 2k8 driver if you have one of those.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ may have some.
>

> On 03/11/2009 12:17, spock wrote:
>> Anyone else with SAS raid adapter with support for windows 7?
>>

>> "Bobby Johnson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Not likely anytime soon. You'll have to bug Adaptec until they publish
>>> the needed
>>> drivers.

spock

I had a look at the setup.log and every few lines access denied

How do I intergrate the vista drivers into my dvd?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yech. I've seen a fair number of reports of issues...
>
> I've had good success with 3Ware cards. Their support statement for Win7 is shown here:
> http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15540
>
> My Adaptec card works out of the box with Server 2k8 R2, so should also for Win7.
>
> There are a lot of drivers in Win7 for SAS and other RAID cards. So far I haven't had
> one that wasn't recognized. And if it isn't, it should be able to use a Vista/Server 2k8
> driver if you have one of those.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ may have some.
>>

>> On 03/11/2009 12:17, spock wrote:
>>> Anyone else with SAS raid adapter with support for windows 7?
>>>

>>> "Bobby Johnson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

You don't integrate them. When you get to the installation screen that asks
you which drive to install on, you click on the Load Drivers button (or
whatever it's called, I don't have it up in front of me right now) and you
insert your USB stick with the drivers on it, and go on about your business.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had a look at the setup.log and every few lines access denied
>
> How do I intergrate the vista drivers into my dvd?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yech. I've seen a fair number of reports of issues...
>>
>> I've had good success with 3Ware cards. Their support statement for Win7
>> is shown here: http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15540
>>
>> My Adaptec card works out of the box with Server 2k8 R2, so should also
>> for Win7.
>>
>> There are a lot of drivers in Win7 for SAS and other RAID cards. So far I
>> haven't had one that wasn't recognized. And if it isn't, it should be
>> able to use a Vista/Server 2k8 driver if you have one of those.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ may have some.

spock

What is the best program for cloning a hard drive apart from symantec ghost?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't integrate them. When you get to the installation screen that asks you which
> drive to install on, you click on the Load Drivers button (or whatever it's called, I
> don't have it up in front of me right now) and you insert your USB stick with the
> drivers on it, and go on about your business.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I had a look at the setup.log and every few lines access denied
>>
>> How do I intergrate the vista drivers into my dvd?

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yech. I've seen a fair number of reports of issues...
>>>
>>> I've had good success with 3Ware cards. Their support statement for Win7 is shown
>>> here: http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15540
>>>
>>> My Adaptec card works out of the box with Server 2k8 R2, so should also for Win7.
>>>
>>> There are a lot of drivers in Win7 for SAS and other RAID cards. So far I haven't had
>>> one that wasn't recognized. And if it isn't, it should be able to use a Vista/Server
>>> 2k8 driver if you have one of those.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>>

>>> "Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dennis Pack

Spock:
A better alternative to Ghost is "Acronis® True Image Home 2010". Refer
to http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/ for more
information. Have a great day.
--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
"spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the best program for cloning a hard drive apart from symantec
> ghost?

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You don't integrate them. When you get to the installation screen that
>> asks you which drive to install on, you click on the Load Drivers button
>> (or whatever it's called, I don't have it up in front of me right now)
>> and you insert your USB stick with the drivers on it, and go on about
>> your business.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "spock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I had a look at the setup.log and every few lines access denied
>>>
>>> How do I intergrate the vista drivers into my dvd?
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> signature database 4573 (20091104) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4573 (20091104) __________

http://www.eset.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

Acronis would have been my first choice, but they seem to be in limbo. Not
sure what is happening with the company. IAC, I've used it and liked it in
the past. ShadowProtect is good solution for image backups. Paragon is
another.

Windows Home Server is more than a simple disc cloning application, but if
backup is your goal, it is simply the best I've ever used, full stop. It is
image based, and can be used to clone a disk, though that's hardly all it
does.