Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Flash interface with business logic in JAVA?

Flash interface with business logic in JAVA?

tnorgd

Hi,

I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
clip. So here are my questions:

1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
there any better option?

2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
_end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
has it ready under some address.

Many thanks for help,
Dominik

Arne Vajh°j

tnorgd wrote:
> I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
> the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
> clip. So here are my questions:
>
> 1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
> found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
> there any better option?
>
> 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
> set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
> in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
> _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
> download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
> has it ready under some address.

I think Adobe's solution is:
http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/

Arne

markspace

tnorgd wrote:

> 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
> set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
> in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
> _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
> download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
> has it ready under some address.

How about Drag To Install?

<http://channelsun.sun.com/video/demo:+drag-to-install/3864273001>

ck

On Nov 3, 7:53*am, tnorgd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
> the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
> clip. So here are my questions:
>
> 1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
> found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
> there any better option?

If you are looking for a typical web application, where client
interacts via browser, flex should fit in good. Although, using xml
for client server interaction is a standard practice. If you find it
messy, I would say its matter of getting use to the paradigm. Using
XML for interaction is what adobe flex advocates. Take a look at
http://www.adobe.com/products/air/develop/flex/
Browser would need Flash player installed.

> 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
> set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
> in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
> _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
> download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
> has it ready under some address.

If you are looking for a standalone desktop application which can run
without browser, then take a look at adobe air http://www.adobe.com/products/air/
Client would need adobe air runtime for this.
--
Ck
http://chandankumar.com

Richard Maher

Hi Dominik,

"tnorgd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
> the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
> clip. So here are my questions:
>
> 1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
> found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
> there any better option?

I realy, realy suggest using Javascript as the glue between your Java
Applets and you Flex/MXML.

Look up the Adobe "FABridge" functionality. I used to have IMnsHO a very
good example of a web-page using an Applet-based TCP/IP socket in Javascript
to populate a Flex DataSource/Collection. (Well I still have it but alas it
is no longer publicly hosted )

Anyway this *is* the mut's nuts! JAVA objects? Flex objects? Javascript does
it all!

Sadly, the web available examples were done away with when Adobe (in all its
wisdom) said "It's in the FlexBuilder product; get it there"

> 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
> set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
> in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
> _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
> download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
> has it ready under some address.
>
> Many thanks for help,
> Dominik

Cheers Richard Maher

PS. Silverlight also has a HTML Bridge (I think that's what it's called?)
and also gives you Socket access(1)

1. Sockets of a fashion. Nothing gives you the browser-based, (almost)
full-blown TCP/IP Socket access that JAVA does! Then there's also UDP! (and
why can't unsigned applets receive muticast messages via an unsigned
applet?)

Python Logic Map/Logic Flow Chart. (Example Provided) spike Python 8 02-09-2010 12:31 PM
Asynchronous Logic Gates and Analog Logic Gates Jyoti Ballabh Software 3 11-26-2009 06:48 PM
Add business logic to production application. =?Utf-8?B?RHNoYWg=?= MCSE 0 03-04-2005 10:09 PM
M$ Business Logic .brian. Firefox 0 09-23-2004 10:32 PM
Where does business logic go? Simon Harvey ASP .Net 4 05-23-2004 09:36 AM

Advertisments