Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Goto case?

Goto case?

Paul N

If I'm within a switch, then saying "case 10:" creates a sort of
label. Is it possible to jump directly to one of these, eg "goto case
12;"? I realise this can be done by adding a "normal" label next to
the "case" label, and that it might be possible to arrange a similar
thing by cunning use of fall-through or by changing the variable and
executing the switch again, but is there a neat syntax to jump to one
of the other cases?

Thanks.
Paul.

paperab

On Nov 2, 10:33*pm, Paul N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If I'm within a switch, then saying "case 10:" creates a sort of
> label. Is it possible to jump directly to one of these, eg "goto case
> 12;"? I realise this can be done by adding a "normal" label next to
> the "case" label, and that it might be possible to arrange a similar
> thing by cunning use of fall-through or by changing the variable and
> executing the switch again, but is there a neat syntax to jump to one
> of the other cases?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul.

A case expression is not a label (and in any case must be a
constant).
So there is no sort of label at all.
Cheers

Bo Persson

Paul N wrote:
> If I'm within a switch, then saying "case 10:" creates a sort of
> label. Is it possible to jump directly to one of these, eg "goto
> case 12;"? I realise this can be done by adding a "normal" label
> next to the "case" label, and that it might be possible to arrange
> a similar thing by cunning use of fall-through or by changing the
> variable and executing the switch again, but is there a neat syntax
> to jump to one of the other cases?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul.

No.

Perhaps the "neat" way is to factor the common code out to a separate
function, and call that one from several locations.

Bo Persson

Mick

Paul N wrote:
> If I'm within a switch, then saying "case 10:" creates a sort of
> label. Is it possible to jump directly to one of these, eg "goto case
> 12;"? I realise this can be done by adding a "normal" label next to
> the "case" label, and that it might be possible to arrange a similar
> thing by cunning use of fall-through or by changing the variable and
> executing the switch again, but is there a neat syntax to jump to one
> of the other cases?
>
> Thanks.
> Paul.

Create a function to call from the case and call that function.

--
------------
< I'm Karmic >

Bill Davy

"Bo Persson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul N wrote:
>> If I'm within a switch, then saying "case 10:" creates a sort of
>> label. Is it possible to jump directly to one of these, eg "goto
>> case 12;"? I realise this can be done by adding a "normal" label
>> next to the "case" label, and that it might be possible to arrange
>> a similar thing by cunning use of fall-through or by changing the
>> variable and executing the switch again, but is there a neat syntax
>> to jump to one of the other cases?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Paul.

> No.
>
> Perhaps the "neat" way is to factor the common code out to a separate
> function, and call that one from several locations.
>

> Bo Persson

But there is the lovely code (Tom Duff's (May 7, 1984) method for fast
copying) which should be kept tidied away in a function and with a good
comment somewhere..