Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fall Back, U.S.A!

Fall Back, U.S.A!

ray

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:56:21 +0000, whisky-dave wrote:

> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>> Great - now multiply the time it took to do it by 300,000,000 people in
>> the US. And don't forget the microwave, the oven, the VCR, . . .

> But you don;t need to change the microwave, or cooker time do you ?
> Cokoing time doesn't change depending oin time of year. VCR yes if you
> still have such an antique device my DVD recorder changes itself

Well, you don't NEED to change any of the damned things. I routinely
leave my watch set as it is and mentally subtract an hour (or is it add
one?) during the summer. But equally obviously, if they'd leave the
system alone no one would need to change a damned thing!

>>> It's far less complicated than figuring out if the Customer Service
>>> phones will be answered by companies in other time zones when I'm
>>> making calls early in the morning or late afternoon.

>> Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona, California or
>> New Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas of the time.
>> As I understand the Chinese get around the whole damned problem by
>> having one time zone for the entire country.

> And India splits it in to 30 min times zones.

ray

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:41:35 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

> whisky-dave wrote:
>> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>>> Great - now multiply the time it took to do it by 300,000,000 people
>>> in the US. And don't forget the microwave, the oven, the VCR, . . .

>> But you don;t need to change the microwave, or cooker time do you ?
>> Cokoing time doesn't change depending oin time of year. VCR yes if you
>> still have such an antique device my DVD recorder changes itself

> Yes, you do have to set the microwave--it has a clock, if you don't
> reset it then you're going to look at it one day forgetting that you
> didn't reset it and end up missing an important appointment.
>
> The real ****er is the idiots changing the date, so that some things now
> need to be reset _four_ times, twice when official change occurs, and
> twice more to unset the change that was programmed into them at the
> factory using the old dates. And no, they don't all have USB ports.

A real corker for me is the older digital clocks that can only be set
back an hour by advancing it 23 hours.

>>> Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona, California or
>>> New Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas of the time.
>>> As I understand the Chinese get around the whole damned problem by
>>> having one time zone for the entire country.

>> And India splits it in to 30 min times zones.

J. Clarke

ray wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:41:35 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> whisky-dave wrote:
>>> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> But you don;t need to change the microwave, or cooker time do you ?
>>> Cokoing time doesn't change depending oin time of year. VCR yes if
>>> you still have such an antique device my DVD recorder changes
>>> itself

>> Yes, you do have to set the microwave--it has a clock, if you don't
>> reset it then you're going to look at it one day forgetting that you
>> didn't reset it and end up missing an important appointment.
>>
>> The real ****er is the idiots changing the date, so that some things
>> now need to be reset _four_ times, twice when official change
>> occurs, and twice more to unset the change that was programmed into
>> them at the factory using the old dates. And no, they don't all
>> have USB ports.
>>

> A real corker for me is the older digital clocks that can only be set
> back an hour by advancing it 23 hours.

Yep.

The next time they mess with the daylight savings time they need to put in a
provision that no legislator may instruct a family member or staffer to
reset his clocks, he must do it for himself. Maybe if they have to set
their own clocks they'll figure out what a pain in the butt it is.

What we really need is a constitutional amendment stating that any
legislation that a reasonable man considers to be a pain in the ass is null
and void.

mianileng

whisky-dave wrote:
> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona,
>> California
>> or New Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas
>> of the
>> time. As I understand the Chinese get around the whole damned
>> problem by having one time zone for the entire country.

> And India splits it in to 30 min times zones.

Actually, India uses a uniform standard time throughout the
country, 5 1/2 hours ahead of UT. It's much smaller than the USA
but it's still a pretty large country. Between where I live on
the eastern side and Mumbai in the west, there's a 20° difference
and almost 1 1/2 hrs in local solar times. It's about 30° and 2
hrs between the two extreme ends of the country.

mianileng

J. Clarke wrote:

> The next time they mess with the daylight savings time they
> need to
> put in a provision that no legislator may instruct a family
> member or
> staffer to reset his clocks, he must do it for himself. Maybe
> if
> they have to set their own clocks they'll figure out what a
> pain in
> the butt it is.
>
> What we really need is a constitutional amendment stating that
> any
> legislation that a reasonable man considers to be a pain in the
> ass
> is null and void.

I would have thought that the physical task of setting clocks is
a passing and relatively minor inconvenience. I expect that
someone unused to DST would experience a more extended period of
adjusting one's biological clock, rather like jet lag. You
suddenly have to get to work an hour early while the clock says
that it's still the same 9 AM.

I also wonder about the amount of adjustments necessary to
certain things that have to be scheduled according to the actual
passage of time. Like medication that has to be taken at strictly
spaced intervals. And is the daily evening flight changed from 7
pm on October 31st to 6 pm the next day? The collective workload
and the psychological adjustments needed must be enormous.

tony cooper

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:43:39 -0000, "whisky-dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 3 Nov 2009 01:05:27 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> If it takes a person five minutes to change the necessary clocks, and
>> if that person would have spent those five minutes watching Jerry
>> Springer or Oprah if there wasn't a need to change the clocks, then
>> there is no waste. If the person multi-tasks, as most of us do, while
>> changing the clocks, there is no wasted time.

>But almost no one can multi-task that just think theyv can,
>what a person does is time-slice adn proiratorise even teh eye does that
>as only about 15% of our total vision is active at any one point the brain
>captutes the view then the eye scans another area and captures that and the
>brain joins
>it and pretends it's one picture, which is how and why magitians can perform
>their tricks.
>They use this time-slicing to make sure we don;t 'see' what they are doing.

When I say "multi-task", I don't mean re-setting the clocks and doing
neurosurgery at the same time. I can watch a football game on TV as I
reset the clocks and I'm multi-tasking.

>> Who here didn't have time to do something important Sunday because
>> they had to divert that time to changing the clocks?
>>
>> Don't all raise your hands at once.

>Nah most of mine change themselves, the others I do when I have 'free time'

I have no clocks that re-set themselves. I have clock displays in
electronic devices - computer, telephone, cable box, etc - that
self-adjust, but my alarm clocks and wall clocks don't.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

NameHere

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:56:21 -0000, "whisky-dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>> Great - now multiply the time it took to do it by 300,000,000 people in
>> the US. And don't forget the microwave, the oven, the VCR, . . .

>But you don;t need to change the microwave, or cooker time do you ?
>Cokoing time doesn't change depending oin time of year.

If you set it to cook your food 1 hour before you get home, you do. Or warm
last-night's coffee just before you get up.

(Doesn't anyone talk about cameras and photography anymore?)

>VCR yes if you still have such an antique device my DVD recorder changes
>itself
>
>>> It's far less complicated than figuring out if the Customer Service
>>> phones will be answered by companies in other time zones when I'm making
>>> calls early in the morning or late afternoon.

>> Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona, California or New
>> Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas of the time. As I
>> understand the Chinese get around the whole damned problem by having one
>> time zone for the entire country.

>And India splits it in to 30 min times zones.

Toxic

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:26:30 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> On 2009-11-02 23:50:37 -0800, Toxic <staring@my_hd.tv> said:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:46:34 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
>>

>>> Who here didn't have time to do something important Sunday because
>>> they had to divert that time to changing the clocks?

>> My clocks all set themselves, leaving me free to do the nothing of
>> importance stuff that happens at that time of the morning.

> So you either don't live in an area doomed by DST, or you don't own a
> camera, microwave oven, car with a clock, long case clock, or watch.

SoCal is indeed plagued with DST, and I did have to set the microwave at
a later non-critical time. The G-Shock 'solar-atomic' watches both set
themselves.
....and the Canon will get updated whenever I'm in the mood,
I don't use the EXIF anyway.

David J Taylor

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Well, you don't NEED to change any of the damned things. I routinely
> leave my watch set as it is and mentally subtract an hour (or is it add
> one?) during the summer. But equally obviously, if they'd leave the
> system alone no one would need to change a damned thing!

.... and try to have a good apology for when you're an hour late, and miss
the flight, or meeting your lady! <G> A risky policy....in other
words. An hour early and you could take some photos!

Cheers,
David

GregS

In article <4aef0d78$0$23472$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>mianileng wrote:
>> John Turco wrote:
>>> Hello, my fellow Americans...did you remember to move all of
>>> your
>>> timepieces, back an hour? Daylight Saving Time ended, early on
>>> Sunday
>>> morning (November 1, 2009), in our country.
>>>
>>> I, personally, needed to reset my wristwatch, several clocks,
>>> various
>>> electronic devices, a number of digicams and my lone DSLR
>>> (Pentax
>>> K100D); initially, I forgot a few of the devices (including
>>> some
>>> cameras), and did them later.

>> As someone living in a country where DST is not used, I have
>> never been able to understand the logic behind the practice or
>> how it's considered to be worth all the disruption and
>> adjustments it makes necessary. By adjustments, I mean not just
>> the twice-a-year resetting of clocks, but also adjusting life
>> (personal, business, time-critical management, etc.) to the new
>> timings. But I'm not blindly criticising something I don't
>> understand. I'm open to enlightenment.

>The idea is that in summer (because Winter time is closer to true time)
>more evening activities can take place in daylight. In other words, this
>takes daylight hours in the very early morning (when most people are
>still asleep) and puts them in the evening.
>
>Of course, if the offices of government and big companies, schools,
>daycare centers, shops, all started the day at 7am and finished it at
>4pm, this would have about the same effect.

They started changing the time for switchover recently to save ENERGY.
That has put more students in the dark. I liked the change overall.

greg

Re: Mob-ocracy and the Fall of the Republic Bigus DiŠkus MCSE 0 04-18-2006 01:44 AM
CrystalReports: Value does not fall within the expected range. =?Utf-8?B?amF2YXRvcGlh?= ASP .Net 4 10-14-2005 06:16 PM
VPN pix 506 - 501 fall down Fwed Cisco 0 08-30-2005 08:54 AM
Don't fall for the Firefox 1.01 "update" elaich Computer Support 8 02-26-2005 11:54 PM
table to css, fall at first hurdle foldface@yahoo.co.uk HTML 15 11-25-2003 10:31 PM

Advertisments