Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fall Back, U.S.A!

Fall Back, U.S.A!

tony cooper

On 2 Nov 2009 17:31:10 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:57:08 +0530, mianileng wrote:
>
>> John Turco wrote:
>>> Hello, my fellow Americans...did you remember to move all of your
>>> timepieces, back an hour? Daylight Saving Time ended, early on Sunday
>>> morning (November 1, 2009), in our country.
>>>
>>> I, personally, needed to reset my wristwatch, several clocks, various
>>> electronic devices, a number of digicams and my lone DSLR (Pentax
>>> K100D); initially, I forgot a few of the devices (including some
>>> cameras), and did them later.

>> As someone living in a country where DST is not used, I have never been
>> able to understand the logic behind the practice or how it's considered
>> to be worth all the disruption and adjustments it makes necessary. By
>> adjustments, I mean not just the twice-a-year resetting of clocks, but
>> also adjusting life (personal, business, time-critical management, etc.)
>> to the new timings. But I'm not blindly criticising something I don't
>> understand. I'm open to enlightenment.

>No logic to it at all. It's claimed it saves energy, but a study in
>Indiana (a 'split' state) showed that to be totally bogus. It's
>psychological - that's all. And a huge waste of resources, resetting all
>the damned clocks twice a year. It should certainly be abolished - would
>make life simpler all the way around.

I reset two automobile clocks, two alarm clocks, one wrist-watch, and
one wall clock yesterday. It took about as much resources to do as
sneezing.

It's far less complicated than figuring out if the Customer Service
phones will be answered by companies in other time zones when I'm
making calls early in the morning or late afternoon.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ray

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2009 17:31:10 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> As someone living in a country where DST is not used, I have never
>>> been able to understand the logic behind the practice or how it's
>>> considered to be worth all the disruption and adjustments it makes
>>> necessary. By adjustments, I mean not just the twice-a-year resetting
>>> of clocks, but also adjusting life (personal, business, time-critical
>>> management, etc.) to the new timings. But I'm not blindly criticising
>>> something I don't understand. I'm open to enlightenment.

>>No logic to it at all. It's claimed it saves energy, but a study in
>>Indiana (a 'split' state) showed that to be totally bogus. It's
>>psychological - that's all. And a huge waste of resources, resetting all
>>the damned clocks twice a year. It should certainly be abolished - would
>>make life simpler all the way around.

> I reset two automobile clocks, two alarm clocks, one wrist-watch, and
> one wall clock yesterday. It took about as much resources to do as
> sneezing.

Great - now multiply the time it took to do it by 300,000,000 people in
the US. And don't forget the microwave, the oven, the VCR, . . .

> It's far less complicated than figuring out if the Customer Service
> phones will be answered by companies in other time zones when I'm making
> calls early in the morning or late afternoon.

Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona, California or New
Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas of the time. As I
understand the Chinese get around the whole damned problem by having one
time zone for the entire country.

ray

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:21:27 -0500, Robert Haar wrote:

> On 11/2/09 10:35 AM, "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Another four million man-hours down the crapper!

> I think you underestimate by an order of magnitude or more.

Just a quick back of the envelope thing - you're probably right.

tony cooper

On 3 Nov 2009 01:05:27 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:21:27 -0500, Robert Haar wrote:
>
>> On 11/2/09 10:35 AM, "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another four million man-hours down the crapper!

>> I think you underestimate by an order of magnitude or more.

>Just a quick back of the envelope thing - you're probably right.

Before time can be considered to be wasted, you have to determine that
the time would be otherwise better spent on some more useful activity.

If it takes a person five minutes to change the necessary clocks, and
if that person would have spent those five minutes watching Jerry
Springer or Oprah if there wasn't a need to change the clocks, then
there is no waste. If the person multi-tasks, as most of us do, while
changing the clocks, there is no wasted time.

Who here didn't have time to do something important Sunday because
they had to divert that time to changing the clocks?

Don't all raise your hands at once.

--

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:46:34 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> On 3 Nov 2009 01:05:27 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I think you underestimate by an order of magnitude or more.

>>Just a quick back of the envelope thing - you're probably right.

> Before time can be considered to be wasted, you have to determine that
> the time would be otherwise better spent on some more useful activity.
>
> If it takes a person five minutes to change the necessary clocks, and if
> that person would have spent those five minutes watching Jerry Springer
> or Oprah if there wasn't a need to change the clocks, then there is no
> waste. If the person multi-tasks, as most of us do, while changing the
> clocks, there is no wasted time.
>
> Who here didn't have time to do something important Sunday because they
> had to divert that time to changing the clocks?
>
> Don't all raise your hands at once.

Wait til they get to work!

Toxic

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:46:34 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> Who here didn't have time to do something important Sunday because they
> had to divert that time to changing the clocks?

My clocks all set themselves, leaving me free to do the nothing of
importance stuff that happens at that time of the morning.

whisky-dave

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 3 Nov 2009 01:05:27 GMT, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> If it takes a person five minutes to change the necessary clocks, and
> if that person would have spent those five minutes watching Jerry
> Springer or Oprah if there wasn't a need to change the clocks, then
> there is no waste. If the person multi-tasks, as most of us do, while
> changing the clocks, there is no wasted time.

But almost no one can multi-task that just think theyv can,
what a person does is time-slice adn proiratorise even teh eye does that
as only about 15% of our total vision is active at any one point the brain
captutes the view then the eye scans another area and captures that and the
brain joins
it and pretends it's one picture, which is how and why magitians can perform
their tricks.
They use this time-slicing to make sure we don;t 'see' what they are doing.

> Who here didn't have time to do something important Sunday because
> they had to divert that time to changing the clocks?
>
> Don't all raise your hands at once.

Nah most of mine change themselves, the others I do when I have 'free time'

In there's one that I don't change from year to year.

whisky-dave

"No spam please" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hcpa8e$i5c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello guys.
>
> The UK first used Summer Time during World War One to help to increase
> productivity.

I thought the most recent excuse for todays time change was something to do
with kids
going to school o the dark and accidents when driving .

> The UK also tried to keep on Summer Time all through the winter. Nice
> experiment but not liked by those who voiced their opinion.

I only discovered a couple of weeks ago thatr india has 1/2 hour times zones
i.e not 24 hours but and extra increment. I discovered this using Apples
world clock
on New Delhi where my friend is currently staying.
I'd always thought that time zones were all 1 hour steps.

whisky-dave

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> Great - now multiply the time it took to do it by 300,000,000 people in
> the US. And don't forget the microwave, the oven, the VCR, . . .

But you don;t need to change the microwave, or cooker time do you ?
Cokoing time doesn't change depending oin time of year.
VCR yes if you still have such an antique device my DVD recorder changes
itself

>> It's far less complicated than figuring out if the Customer Service
>> phones will be answered by companies in other time zones when I'm making
>> calls early in the morning or late afternoon.

> Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona, California or New
> Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas of the time. As I
> understand the Chinese get around the whole damned problem by having one
> time zone for the entire country.

And India splits it in to 30 min times zones.

J. Clarke

whisky-dave wrote:
> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>> Great - now multiply the time it took to do it by 300,000,000 people
>> in the US. And don't forget the microwave, the oven, the VCR, . . .

> But you don;t need to change the microwave, or cooker time do you ?
> Cokoing time doesn't change depending oin time of year.
> VCR yes if you still have such an antique device my DVD recorder
> changes itself

Yes, you do have to set the microwave--it has a clock, if you don't reset it
then you're going to look at it one day forgetting that you didn't reset it
and end up missing an important appointment.

The real ****er is the idiots changing the date, so that some things now
need to be reset _four_ times, twice when official change occurs, and twice
more to unset the change that was programmed into them at the factory using
the old dates. And no, they don't all have USB ports.

>>> It's far less complicated than figuring out if the Customer Service
>>> phones will be answered by companies in other time zones when I'm
>>> making calls early in the morning or late afternoon.

>> Particularly when you don't know if they're in Arizona, California
>> or New Mexico (for example) all of whom have different ideas of the
>> time. As I understand the Chinese get around the whole damned
>> problem by having one time zone for the entire country.

> And India splits it in to 30 min times zones.

Re: Mob-ocracy and the Fall of the Republic Bigus DiŠkus MCSE 0 04-18-2006 01:44 AM
CrystalReports: Value does not fall within the expected range. =?Utf-8?B?amF2YXRvcGlh?= ASP .Net 4 10-14-2005 06:16 PM
VPN pix 506 - 501 fall down Fwed Cisco 0 08-30-2005 08:54 AM
Don't fall for the Firefox 1.01 "update" elaich Computer Support 8 02-26-2005 11:54 PM
table to css, fall at first hurdle foldface@yahoo.co.uk HTML 15 11-25-2003 10:31 PM

Advertisments