Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > cisco 871 series vpn network 4 locations complications

cisco 871 series vpn network 4 locations complications

Revyit Revyit is offline
Junior Member
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada

Hello there,

I have just started my IT business this year and don't have alot of experience with constructing networks from the ground up. I can troubleshoot, but am learning still about many little quirks in dealing with ISPs and customers themselves.

I had some trouble with some old SMC routers and decided to replace them (they aren't supported by SMC anymore). I got the company some 871 series cisco routers. We have 4 locations, one main that is hosted by one ISP, and 3 others that is hosted by a different local ISP. When I hook up the routers, they are fine for the first 2hrs. The last time I tried, I was even able to ping my server through the VPN tunnel at the main location from a remote location. They then quit and stop all internet traffic. I at first configured the routers statically and have since decided to go with dynamic. Telus, the main office ISP said they have never allowed clients to connect to the static ip addresses statically, and so I configured the main office router as a DHCP server. Same thing, on fine for 2hrs, then it stops all operation. I know the time precisely because there is someone using the wireless next to the main office and reports to me when the internet is down. It takes the same length of time everytime.

Any idea what might be happening? I would appreciate any input at this point. I am also just learning command line through and using hyperterminal as well.

Thanks.