Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > is ASP.NET SEO friendly?

is ASP.NET SEO friendly?

Anton

Hey

asp.net 3.5

I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
reported several things I didn't like:

* It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
but the generated code it had several spaces...

* because of the spaces in the title, it reported that my keywords wasn't in
the title, but the keywords are indeed there

*my keywords isn't in the top of the body section, because there asp.net had
placed some hidden fields. Wonder if that affects the sites's ranking

any suggestions?

Scott M.

"Anton" <no_email> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey
>
> asp.net 3.5
>
> I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
> reported several things I didn't like:
>
> * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
> used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
> but the generated code it had several spaces...
>
> * because of the spaces in the title, it reported that my keywords wasn't
> in the title, but the keywords are indeed there
>
> *my keywords isn't in the top of the body section, because there asp.net
> had placed some hidden fields. Wonder if that affects the sites's ranking
>
> any suggestions?

I don't experience those issues with my ASP .NET site or any other ASP .NET
site I've built. Page titles and keywords are manually added as static HTML
and do not get altered that way.

-Scott

Registered User

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:25:31 +0100, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:

>Hey
>
>asp.net 3.5
>
>I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
>reported several things I didn't like:

ASP.NET can be used to create SEO friendly sites. URL rewriting is
especially useful.

>* It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
>used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
>but the generated code it had several spaces...

What tool was used?

>* because of the spaces in the title, it reported that my keywords wasn't in
>the title, but the keywords are indeed there
>
>*my keywords isn't in the top of the body section, because there asp.net had
>placed some hidden fields. Wonder if that affects the sites's ranking

Probably not as this is not an uncommon occurrence.

>any suggestions?

Learn more about search engines, how they work, and the factors that
may influence search rankings. I would recommend 'Professional Search
Engine Optimization with ASP.NET" (ISBN 978-0-470-13147-3) or
something similar as a starting point.

regards
A.G.

Anton

I've ordered that book, looking forward to reading it

Alexey Smirnov

On Oct 31, 12:25*pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
> Hey
>
> asp.net 3.5
>
> I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
> reported several things I didn't like:
>
> * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
> used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
> but the generated code it had several spaces...

By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at https://www.google.com/webmasters
where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
site.

Scott M.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
> Hey
>
> asp.net 3.5
>
> I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
> reported several things I didn't like:
>
> * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
> used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
> but the generated code it had several spaces...

>By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
>the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
>space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
>more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
>that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
>SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
>https://www.google.com/webmasters
>where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
>site.

But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. ASP .NET does not generate
leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. If you are
getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your page
titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
ASP .NET.

-Scott

Alexey Smirnov

On Nov 2, 2:53*pm, "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
>

> > Hey

> > asp.net 3.5

> > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
> > reported several things I didn't like:

> > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
> > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
> > but the generated code it had several spaces...
> >By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
> >the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
> >space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
> >more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
> >that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
> >SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
> >https://www.google.com/webmasters
> >where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
> >site.

> But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. *ASP .NET does not generate
> leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. *If you are
> getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your page
> titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
> ASP .NET.
>
> -Scott- Hide quoted text -

It is generated by ASP.NET. Look at the header of www.asp.net for
instance.

germ

Alexey is correct- asp.net by default DOES add line feeds before & after
<title /> contents

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 2, 2:53 pm, "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
>

> > Hey

> > asp.net 3.5

> > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and
> > it
> > reported several things I didn't like:

> > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite
> > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
> > but the generated code it had several spaces...
> >By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
> >the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
> >space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
> >more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
> >that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
> >SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
> >https://www.google.com/webmasters
> >where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
> >site.

> But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. ASP .NET does not generate
> leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. If you
> are
> getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your
> page
> titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
> ASP .NET.
>
> -Scott- Hide quoted text -

It is generated by ASP.NET. Look at the header of www.asp.net for
instance.

Scott M.

"germ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23dENIG%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alexey is correct- asp.net by default DOES add line feeds before & after
> <title /> contents
>

> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 2, 2:53 pm, "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
>>

>> > Hey

>> > asp.net 3.5

>> > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and
>> > it
>> > reported several things I didn't like:

>> > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining,
>> > despite I
>> > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
>> > but the generated code it had several spaces...
>> >By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
>> >the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
>> >space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
>> >more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
>> >that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
>> >SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
>> >https://www.google.com/webmasters
>> >where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
>> >site.

>> But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. ASP .NET does not generate
>> leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. If you
>> are
>> getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your
>> page
>> titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
>> ASP .NET.
>>
>> -Scott- Hide quoted text -

> It is generated by ASP.NET. Look at the header of www.asp.net for
> instance.

Yes, I see (and know) what you mean by the spacing, however (again) this may
be more of a problem with the coding of dynamically generated titles, rather
than with ASP .NET itself.

This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

<head runat="server">
<title></title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">

</form>

-Scott

Anton

> This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:

> CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

> <head runat="server">
> <title></title>
> </head>
> <form id="form1" runat="server">

> </form>
>
> -Scott

The pages in my project are based on a masterpage, so I specify the title in
first line in the page
:<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Masters/MasterPage.master"
AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default"
Title="First Page" %>

Which generates:
<title>
First Page
</title>
(the line break after <title> and the spaces before the "First Page" text)

Also I want to add that I've run a test using Google Webmaster Tools, and it
report that they have no problem with the titles in my project.
http://www.instantposition.com/seotest.php reported that my site is poorly
optimized, I ran a test on the asp.net site also and it too was poorly
optimized too
(it said that the www.asp.net was missing the keyword asp.net in the
title...) Not sure how serious I can take the result from the test as I
suppose they who created asp.net is among the best developers microsoft know
about...

Look forward to reading that book

Seo Elite: New Seo Software Rune HTML 1 11-14-2007 10:30 AM
Google Seo Optimization Software - Seo Optimizer - Search Engine CONsulting software britneysspears@gmail.com Computer Support 1 05-13-2007 06:55 PM
Google Seo Optimization Software - Seo Optimizer - Search Engine CONsulting software britneysspears@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 05-13-2007 05:25 PM
Re: SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Seo Consulting Alvin Bruney [MVP] Python 19 05-09-2007 07:03 AM
Re: SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Seo Consulting Alvin Bruney [MVP] ASP .Net 17 05-01-2007 09:08 PM

Advertisments