Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Really stupid question.

Re: Really stupid question.

Mike Yetto

Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:
> remove wrote:
>> When you have to change your anti virus , maleware etc, and you delete a
>> certain version, what happens to all the quarantined trojans etc.?
>>
>> I know this is stupid for you wizz kids , but just wondering.

> I expect you'd like to know what happens to the 'femaleware' too?
>
> I'm sure any advice you receive here will cover that!
>
> In my opinion, if you *know* that you have been hit by malware (note
> spelling!) it is always a prudent move to 'flatten & rebuild' -
> re-install Windows after deleting *all* partitions.

Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
repel an invader?

Mike "we got past the rapids, sink the canoe" Yetto
In practice they are not.

chuckcar

Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:
>> remove wrote:
>>> When you have to change your anti virus , maleware etc, and you delete
>>> a certain version, what happens to all the quarantined trojans etc.?
>>>
>>> I know this is stupid for you wizz kids , but just wondering.

>> I expect you'd like to know what happens to the 'femaleware' too?
>>
>> I'm sure any advice you receive here will cover that!
>>
>> In my opinion, if you *know* that you have been hit by malware (note
>> spelling!) it is always a prudent move to 'flatten & rebuild' -
>> re-install Windows after deleting *all* partitions.
>>

> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
> repel an invader?

It's required practice for some viruses. For Trojans it's certainly
overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
system that viruses have. Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number of
reasons.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Desk Rabbit

chuckcar wrote:
> Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:

>>> I expect you'd like to know what happens to the 'femaleware' too?
>>>
>>> I'm sure any advice you receive here will cover that!
>>>
>>> In my opinion, if you *know* that you have been hit by malware (note
>>> spelling!) it is always a prudent move to 'flatten & rebuild' -
>>> re-install Windows after deleting *all* partitions.
>>>

>> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
>> repel an invader?
>>

> It's required practice for some viruses.

Eh?

> For Trojans it's certainly
> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
> system that viruses have.

Are you for real?

> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number of
> reasons.

<Splutter> What? Name one.

Mike Yetto

Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:
> Mike Yetto wrote:
>
>> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
>> repel an invader?

> No. Not at all!
>
> With a fort - a physical structure - if there were 'back-doors' left
> behind after the attack one would be able to see the actual holes in
> one's defences.
>
> One has absolutely no idea with a computer operating system!

If you can trust the AV you will know that the bad files were
caught. If you can't trust the AV you have the wrong AV.

Mike "or OS" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Mike Yetto

Bada bing Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> bada bang:
> chuckcar wrote:
>> Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:

>>> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
>>> repel an invader?
>>>

>> It's required practice for some viruses.

> Eh?
>
>> For Trojans it's certainly
>> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
>> system that viruses have.

> Are you for real?
>

>> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
>> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number of
>> reasons.

><Splutter> What? Name one.

I'm tempted to say that it's not just an OS it's a POS.

Mike "but I won't" Yetto
In practice they are not.

chuckcar

Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hcfack$a4f$(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>> Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> Bada bing ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> bada bang:

>>> Isn't that analogous to destroying the fort because it managed to
>>> repel an invader?
>>>

>> It's required practice for some viruses.

> Eh?

Eh what? What part of the world of viruses (as opposed to trojans) do you
understand least?

>> For Trojans it's certainly
>> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
>> system that viruses have.

> Are you for real?

Yup and so is what I said.

>> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
>> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number
>> of reasons.

> <Splutter> What? Name one.

Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from the
first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't corrupted or
even testing it for that.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

"§nühw¤£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9CB55BC935488snuhwolfnetscapenet@216.196.9 7.142:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile of
>
>> Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from
>> the first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't
>> corrupted or even testing it for that.
>>

> Use RegProt...keeps things under your control.

You don't mess with the registry at *all* unless you are trained how
professionally. These corruptions happen within windows. Any external
measures won't change that one bit. Even assuming that the program you
mention actually does anything worthwhile in principal.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

G. Morgan

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 00:14:12 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You don't mess with the registry at *all* unless you are trained how
>professionally.

I wasn't professionally trained on messing with the registry.

Oh crap, now it must be corrupted!

G. Morgan

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:46:46 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>Chucktard was *professionally* trained in stupidity.

Was RtS the instructor?

Desk Rabbit

chuckcar wrote:
> Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:hcfack$a4f$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> chuckcar wrote:
>>> Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

>>> It's required practice for some viruses.

>> Eh?
>>

> Eh what? What part of the world of viruses (as opposed to trojans) do you
> understand least?
>
>>> For Trojans it's certainly
>>> overkill because they don't have the same infection of the operating
>>> system that viruses have.

>> Are you for real?
>>

> Yup and so is what I said.
>
>>> Installing windows clean - assuming it's done
>>> correctly of course - every year isn't a bad idea anyways for a number
>>> of reasons.

>> <Splutter> What? Name one.

> Corruption of the OS. Specifically the registry - which aside from the
> first boot after installed - one has no way of knowing isn't corrupted or
> even testing it for that.

**** me. I realise where I've been going wrong all these years. The
hundreds of Windows servers my company supports should have been
stripped down and re-installed every year along with the thousands of
workstations they support. At least we could guarantee hours of downtime
for the clients instead of this 99% uptime nonsense.

stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
stupid test questions and stupid awnsers in Measureup 70-320 test john MCAD 0 10-13-2004 11:43 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM

Advertisments