Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > FILE COPY CORRUPTION on Windows XP x64 PRO ?!?!?

FILE COPY CORRUPTION on Windows XP x64 PRO ?!?!?

Richard Urban

You did notice that I said Windows Mail from Vista. I did not use the
Windows Mail that comes with Windows 7, as it is dysfunctional.

Just copy the Windows Mail folder from a Vista installation to a thumb
drive. In Windows 7, rename the existing Windows Mail folder to Windows Mail
old. Then copy the Vista version into the Program Files (x86) folder. Create
a shortcut of the .exe where you wish it to be. Then start using Windows
Mail.

If you have a 64 bit version of Windows 7 it would help to copy "both" the
32 bit and the 64 bit versions from Vista and place them in their respective
folders within Windows 7. I am using the 64 bit version from Vista at this
moment!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard:
> How did you install it along side WLM and where did you get the
> file? Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
>
> "Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have been using Windows Mail from Vista in Windows 7 since January!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>>

>> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Charlie:
>>> At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of
>>> XP x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should
>>> have been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to
>>> Office 2007 when I was still working. Have a great day.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dennis Pack
>>> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

>>> http://www.eset.com

Dennis Pack

Richard:
Thanks for the reply. The installation worked, I now have WM and WLM
side by side.
--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional.
"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You did notice that I said Windows Mail from Vista. I did not use the
> Windows Mail that comes with Windows 7, as it is dysfunctional.
>
> Just copy the Windows Mail folder from a Vista installation to a thumb
> drive. In Windows 7, rename the existing Windows Mail folder to Windows
> Mail old. Then copy the Vista version into the Program Files (x86) folder.
> Create a shortcut of the .exe where you wish it to be. Then start using
> Windows Mail.
>
> If you have a 64 bit version of Windows 7 it would help to copy "both" the
> 32 bit and the 64 bit versions from Vista and place them in their
> respective folders within Windows 7. I am using the 64 bit version from
> Vista at this moment!
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>

> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Richard:
>> How did you install it along side WLM and where did you get the
>> file? Have a great day.
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Pack
>> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, Richard. So have I. But it's _not_ a supported scenario, and one I
prefer to let folks find on their own.

Now, if I could get it to work cleanly in Server 2008 R2, I'd be a happy
camper. But still getting minor annoyances I haven't sorted yet.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been using Windows Mail from Vista in Windows 7 since January!
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>

> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie:
>> At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of
>> XP x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should
>> have been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to
>> Office 2007 when I was still working. Have a great day.
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Pack
>> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> single bit RAM, no ECC, no buffering plus bloody awful NIC drivers and
>>> consumer grade HDs., I'd be astonished if it weren't at times.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>>

>>> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:acd4b$4aea98f9$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...

>>> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

>>> http://www.eset.com

>> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

Richard Urban

I would rather have it unsupported and working than supported and not! (-:

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience & Security

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, Richard. So have I. But it's _not_ a supported scenario, and one I
> prefer to let folks find on their own.
>
> Now, if I could get it to work cleanly in Server 2008 R2, I'd be a happy
> camper. But still getting minor annoyances I haven't sorted yet.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have been using Windows Mail from Vista in Windows 7 since January!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>>

>> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Charlie:
>>> At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of
>>> XP x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should
>>> have been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to
>>> Office 2007 when I was still working. Have a great day.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dennis Pack
>>> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

>>> http://www.eset.com

Skybuck Flying

It was memory corruption

Bye,
Skybuck.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Remember what my first two comments were? "Single bit RAM, no ECC".

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3b532$4aedbc3e$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb. home.nl...
> It was memory corruption
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

I wonder if Microsoft Windows Update does a CRC32 check after applieing
updates to be sure no corruption occured ?!? (Or any other detection for
that matter? Or maybe even error correcting codes ?! )

Also failing that how could I verify that my windows is now not corrupt ?!?

Maybe some "microsoft windows comparision service" might be nice... at least
for when the system is functioning correctly and is recovering from a
corruption issue !

Bye,
Skybuck.