Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > FILE COPY CORRUPTION on Windows XP x64 PRO ?!?!?

FILE COPY CORRUPTION on Windows XP x64 PRO ?!?!?

Skybuck Flying

Hello,

My personal computer is experiencing corruption ?!

At least according to WinRar351.exe

There are file disk images inside a WinRar file... 5.1 GB or so
uncompressed.

I copy many of these big WinRar files... from hd-to-same-hd...

And then I test it... with WinRar's "test" function.

I reports CORRUPTION after a couple of tests.

I am not sure what to make if this...

This could mean:

1. My harddisk is damaged and slowly dieing/getting corrupted.
2. The file system is ****ed.
3. Explorer is ****ed.
Or worst of all:
4. Windows XP x64 Pro updates ****ED IT.

Please try and do the following:

1. Make some big files.
2. Compress them with WinRar.
3. Copy them around your harddisk.
4. Test them with WinRar (preferably winrar351.exe)

WHAT ARE YOUR RESULTS ?!

For now I will assume my Harddisk is ****ED.

But if I am wrong we Windows XP x64 Pro USERS ARE ALL ****ED ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

HOLYSHIT.

I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that the
code is good.

And the corruption IS REAL !

OH OH.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

I did one last check:

1. I reboot the PC to make sure it's not some corruption in the file system
cache.

2. Re-run the compare files tool, same position pops up: 316.802.701

Unless other people have the same offset/position as damaged then it's
probably just a problem with one of my hd-disks...

Big **** though... this means I will have to stop using my "Dream PC" which
can now be rightfully called "Nightmare PC" until I get new harddisks...
this also means the Antec 1200 case could be risky... especially when
cleaning dustfilters while hd's are on... this could also mean placing tower
on table is bad because of bumps against table or so... which might kill
hd's ?! BIG ****... can't place PC on ground because of dust.

Only solution is to make a remote computer... in a far away location from
me... so it wouldn't be affected by dust... or bangs... then I would need
super long monitor cable... to be able to work with the damn thing...

This could be a bit dangerous such a long monitor cable... alternatively...

I could place pc on a seperate table which could take care of most bangs
probably... it would still be a bit risky... and bang sensitive if I bang
against other table...

It could also be a matter of high usage... maybe Microsofts ! flight
simulator x had a little bit to do with it.. it has a huge load of files and
places extra stress on the file system which is bad. I recently deleted it
to get rid of it and its load on file system... to late now... this kinda
sucks...

I am also surprised the harddisk doesn't mark it as a bad sector... maybe
it's already way passed being able to divert to unused space... this could
be a bad sign...

Maybe it's not the hd that's bad... maybe it's just windows corrupted user
account but I doubt it somehow...

Smart thing to do would be to get new hd's copy the whole mother****er... do
a file by file... byte by byte comparision to know if everything was copied
properly... this gonna take a bitching long time but ok...

As long as I don't delete and put anything new on the disk it should be ok.
I hope...

So far it seems C: drive is ****ed... maybe D: drive still ok.

I guessed I made that data backup just in time ! I was about due... and the
user account corruption was also a bad sign... so I thought I better make
that backup just in case... and not a moment to late it seems !

Anyway this does prove that windows is good at detecting corruption even if
it's in weird ways... as long as the user "listens" to the system and pays
attention and is sensitive and googles around this will become apperent...

Windows update was failing which was the first sign of trouble. Somebody
mention user account corruption which was the second sign of trouble ?!? or
maybe primary cause... me not sure yet...

Ram trouble can probably be ruled out... since after fresh reboot... same
location would be unlikely...

Winrar bug can be ruled out... definetly not winrar bug.

Scary !

Now I run the risk of losing my whole system which took years to build and
gather ?! Shitty ?!

I don't want that to happen even if Windows is sometimes a piece of ****
It mostly works ok. Just sometimes explorer.exe hangs... and **** like
that... 99% statisfcation... 1% annoyances... ****.

So much trouble with this pc it's fricking unbelievable... but then again
this is the first PC which I spent day and night behind it... so sooner or
later something gonna pop up... To bad it has to happen/end like this lol.

To all "good ?" things come an end I guess... I had 3 years of fun with
it...

1. with at least two bad motherboard deaths...
2. one graphics card had to be removed/overheat...
3. gigaworks s750 death.
4. memory ram chip death.
5. pc case replacement was needed
6. cpu fan replacement was needed. original was too loudy..
7. paste **** needed/
8. new mouse needed.

Even motherboard started to wear and tear... at least three letters gone
lol.

**** you may call me a heavy user... the mother/dad of all son of bitches

Sucks being me... LOL but only during these situations... otherwise it s
rocking the cradle.

I wonder what is next to die ?

My monitor ? pls not my monitor... if my 1000 euro bux monitor dies I am
going to jump of the building but not really ofcourse... everything dies
sometime... but it's painfull expensive to die !

Big ****ing ****. Now I have to go back to my pentoum 3... me very glad I
still have it...

It has saved me three times before and now it will save me again... Holyshit
!

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** I hate being on that thing it's so damn
slow... ****.

I can forget about youtube video's for a while... especially the hd's one

Oh well.

Skybuck signing off and facing another death scenerio for now.

YES TOTAL INSTALLATION/FILE SYSTEM DEATH STARING ME IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW.

WITH NO SYSTEM BACKUP AVAILABLE !!! OHOHOH
IT'S TO BIG TO BACKUP ON DVD'S WHICH ARE CRAP ANYWAY.

I am out of my mind typing this long message... but maybe it not so bad...
it will be my last one from this PC for a while ! ((((

Bye,
BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Skybuck ! =D

David B.

Well I'll be damned.

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:acd4b$4aea98f9$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...
> HOLYSHIT.
>
> I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that the
> code is good.
>
> And the corruption IS REAL !
>
> OH OH.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Charlie Russel - MVP

single bit RAM, no ECC, no buffering plus bloody awful NIC drivers and
consumer grade HDs., I'd be astonished if it weren't at times.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:acd4b$4aea98f9$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...
> HOLYSHIT.
>
> I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that the
> code is good.
>
> And the corruption IS REAL !
>
> OH OH.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Dennis Pack

Charlie:
At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of XP
x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should have
been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to Office 2007
when I was still working. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> single bit RAM, no ECC, no buffering plus bloody awful NIC drivers and
> consumer grade HDs., I'd be astonished if it weren't at times.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:acd4b$4aea98f9$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...
>> HOLYSHIT.
>>
>> I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that
>> the code is good.
>>
>> And the corruption IS REAL !
>>
>> OH OH.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.

> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

http://www.eset.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

Mostly agreed. Though I don't use Office 2007, except Outlook and OneNote.
All the rest I use Office 2003. Windows Mail? I run it off the Server 2008
Terminal Server.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of XP
> x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should have
> been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to Office
> 2007 when I was still working. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> single bit RAM, no ECC, no buffering plus bloody awful NIC drivers and
>> consumer grade HDs., I'd be astonished if it weren't at times.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:acd4b$4aea98f9$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...
>>> HOLYSHIT.
>>>
>>> I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that
>>> the code is good.
>>>
>>> And the corruption IS REAL !
>>>
>>> OH OH.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck.

>> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Dennis Pack

Charlie:
I added Office 2007 because I know you don't prefer it, sorry just
joking. Is there a download available so that I can run it on Windows Home
Server to run it from there. I found a couple unsupported patches to convert
WLM to WM but they create more corruptions than most will realize and that's
not worth the effort on a running system unless it's a test system that
isn't registered yet.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise, x64 Win-7 Professional x64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mostly agreed. Though I don't use Office 2007, except Outlook and OneNote.
> All the rest I use Office 2003. Windows Mail? I run it off the Server 2008
> Terminal Server.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

http://www.eset.com

Richard Urban

I have been using Windows Mail from Vista in Windows 7 since January!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of XP
> x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should have
> been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to Office
> 2007 when I was still working. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> single bit RAM, no ECC, no buffering plus bloody awful NIC drivers and
>> consumer grade HDs., I'd be astonished if it weren't at times.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:acd4b$4aea98f9$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...
>>> HOLYSHIT.
>>>
>>> I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that
>>> the code is good.
>>>
>>> And the corruption IS REAL !
>>>
>>> OH OH.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck.

>> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

> signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Dennis Pack

Richard:
How did you install it along side WLM and where did you get the
file? Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...