Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > MCTS/MCTIP Database

MCTS/MCTIP Database

VIR

Hi,

I would like to get the certification in Database Administrator, but dont
know which one should i go for!!! should i go for 2005 or 2008. As i have
been working in IT for last 3 years as a developer, i just want to change it
to database administrator side!
However, my company uses the SQL 2000, and may be move to 2005 in nearer
future if get approval from top level mgnt.

So, can some one guide me

Vir Brahmbhatt
Sydney
Australia

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"VIR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to get the certification in Database Administrator, but dont
> know which one should i go for!!!

You should go for the one you have *experience* with.

> As i have been working in IT for last 3 years as a developer,
> i just want to change it to database administrator side!

The DBA certifications are not an easy road to follow and I do not recommend
trying to pursue a DBA certification unless you have actual hands-on
administrator experience with SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 in a
production environment. The topics are complex and varied, and many of them
are difficult to model in a training environment.

In addition, having worked both sides of the road, I cannot stress enough
the reality that the view from the 'administration' side of the road is
entirely different than the view from the 'development' side of the road,
and very little of your development exposure to SQL Server will translate
into the DBA certification.

Note: You might consider the Database Developer certification as a starting
point, rather than the Database Administrator.

However, all things considered (and excluding the question of experience),
the choice between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 certification is
almost too easy.

1. The SQL Server 2008 product is newer.

2. Mainstream support for SQL Server 2005 expires in 18 months, so it's
arguable that you could even complete the SQL Server 2005 MCITPBA
requirements before your MCTS: SQL Server 2005 expires.

3. The MCITPBA (SQL Server 200 requires only two exams; whereas the
MCITPBA (SQL Server 2005) requires three.
(This is also the case for the MCITPatabase Developer
certifications -- three exams for SQL2005; two exams for SQL2008.)

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA