Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Aaaargh! "global name 'eggz' is not defined"

Aaaargh! "global name 'eggz' is not defined"

Lie Ryan

Aahz wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I like using pyflakes. It catches most of these kinds of typo errors, but is
>> much faster than pylint or pychecker.

> Coincidentally, I tried PyFlakes yesterday and was unimpressed with the
> way it doesn't work with "import *".

If only IDLE's Intellisense worked without having to run the code first,
perhaps I wouldn't have abandoned using IDE altogether to write codes
and used vim/gedit/notepad/whateverpad instead. I've felt liberlized
since going plaintext.

Fabio Zadrozny

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM, kj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How can one check that a Python script is lexically correct?
>
> As my Python apps grow in complexity and execution, I'm finding it
> more often the situation in which a program dies after a lengthy
> (i.e. expensive) run because the execution reaches, say, a typo.
> Of course, this typo needs to be fixed, but I'd like to find out
> about it before I waste hours on a run that is bound to fail. *Is
> there any way to do this? *I imagine the answer is no, because
> given Python's scoping rules, the interpreter can't know about
> these things at compile time, but I thought I'd ask.

Pydev has a code-analysis feature which works analyzing the code while
you're typing. See: http://pydev.org/manual_adv_code_analysis.html

Cheers,

Fabio

Alan Franzoni

On 10/29/09 9:48 PM, kj wrote:
> How can one check that a Python script is lexically correct?

You can use a pseudo-static analyzer like pyflakes, pylint or pydoctor.

Or, better, you can avoid wild imports, excessive local or global
namespace manipulation, and break you program in smaller parts and write
unit tests for them.

Typos are very common but should very easy to catch. If you're not
catching them until a very long run of your program, then your code
coverage is probably too low.

--
Alan Franzoni
contact me at public@[mysurname].eu

Singletoned

On Oct 30, 8:53*am, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Robert Kern a écrit :> On 2009-10-29 16:52 PM, Aahz wrote:
> (snip)
> >> Coincidentally, I tried PyFlakes yesterday and was unimpressed with the
> >> way it doesn't work with "import *".

> > I consider "import *" the first error to be fixed, so it doesn't bother
> > me much.

> +1 QOTW

Bruno, do you actually get to decide the QOTW? Because everytime you `
+1 QOTW` it gets to be the QOTW.

Ed

BTW I was the grateful recipient of your vote the other week.