Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > sharing files between computers

sharing files between computers

UFO

hello, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question:
i have 2 computers. one is a desktop PC and is directly connected via a
cable to the router, and its OS is windows XP home edition SP3 32bit.
the second is a laptop PC and is connected to the router via WIFI , and its
OS is windows vista (i think it's ultimate 32bit ) SP2 .

what i would like to do is to access specific folders and files of each of
the computers, via each of the computers. maybe even play games together that
allow LAN playing.
what is the easiest and shortest way to do such a thing using those computers?
please help me and tell me the solution step by step.

thank you very much for your time.

Pavel A.

Yes, this is a wrong forum for this question.
Next time please find a right forum rather than apologizing.

For Vista: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
For XP and others: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Regards,
--pa

"UFO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question:
> i have 2 computers. one is a desktop PC and is directly connected via a
> cable to the router, and its OS is windows XP home edition SP3 32bit.
> the second is a laptop PC and is connected to the router via WIFI , and
> its
> OS is windows vista (i think it's ultimate 32bit ) SP2 .
>
> what i would like to do is to access specific folders and files of each of
> the computers, via each of the computers. maybe even play games together
> that
> allow LAN playing.
> what is the easiest and shortest way to do such a thing using those
> computers?
> please help me and tell me the solution step by step.
>
> thank you very much for your time.

UFO

@Don:
1.how do i do that? they are both just linked to the router, not to each
other (or maybe that's already like this automatically? ) .
2.how do i choose what to share and what not to share?

@Pavel:
this problem is related to networking, wireless connection between PCs using
a router , which both have a Windows OS , one has xp and the other has vista.
this problem can be entered in many categories here.

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> 1. Create a network linking your desktop and laptop.
> (If in doubt, do / start / help / network.) Both PCs are
> probably configured to do this, but you take the first
> steps on one, then create a floppy, and execute the
> floppy in the other.
> 2. When the two PCs are connected, ensure that
> each is set to Share at least one hard drive or folder.
> (If in doubt, see / start / help / sharing.)
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)
>

> .

Don Phillipson

"UFO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> hello, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question:
> i have 2 computers. one is a desktop PC and is directly connected via a
> cable to the router, and its OS is windows XP home edition SP3 32bit.
> the second is a laptop PC and is connected to the router via WIFI , and

its
> OS is windows vista (i think it's ultimate 32bit ) SP2 .
>
> what i would like to do is to access specific folders and files of each of
> the computers, via each of the computers. maybe even play games together

that
> allow LAN playing.
> what is the easiest and shortest way to do such a thing using those

computers?

1. Create a network linking your desktop and laptop.
(If in doubt, do / start / help / network.) Both PCs are
probably configured to do this, but you take the first
steps on one, then create a floppy, and execute the
floppy in the other.
2. When the two PCs are connected, ensure that
each is set to Share at least one hard drive or folder.
(If in doubt, see / start / help / sharing.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When you are done Reboot all the Network Devices, and the computers.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"UFO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> @Don:
> 1.how do i do that? they are both just linked to the router, not to each
> other (or maybe that's already like this automatically? ) .
> 2.how do i choose what to share and what not to share?
>
> @Pavel:
> this problem is related to networking, wireless connection between PCs
> using
> a router , which both have a Windows OS , one has xp and the other has
> vista.
> this problem can be entered in many categories here.
>
> "Don Phillipson" wrote:
>

>> 1. Create a network linking your desktop and laptop.
>> (If in doubt, do / start / help / network.) Both PCs are
>> probably configured to do this, but you take the first
>> steps on one, then create a floppy, and execute the
>> floppy in the other.
>> 2. When the two PCs are connected, ensure that
>> each is set to Share at least one hard drive or folder.
>> (If in doubt, see / start / help / sharing.)
>>
>> --
>> Don Phillipson
>> Carlsbad Springs
>> (Ottawa, Canada)
>>

>> .

Don Phillipson

"UFO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> @Don:
> 1.how do i do that? they are both just linked to the router, not to each
> other (or maybe that's already like this automatically? ) .

> "Don Phillipson" wrote:
> >
> > 1. Create a network linking your desktop and laptop.
> > (If in doubt, do / start / help / network.) Both PCs are
> > probably configured to do this, but you take the first
> > steps on one, then create a floppy, and execute the
> > floppy in the other.
> > 2. When the two PCs are connected, ensure that
> > each is set to Share at least one hard drive or folder.
> > (If in doubt, see / start / help / sharing.)

> 2.how do i choose what to share and what not to share?

That's up to you. If you are the only user, you can safely
share all directories (folders). Where there are multiple
users, the network administrator may choose to share
only selected folders, so the children cannot inspect your
income tax details or private porn collection. (Sharing
c:\windows may allow you to delete important Windows
files so this is seldom enabled unless you know in advance
of some functional need to do so.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

UFO

i have some problems with this manual, since it's too general. please give me
the instructions of my current situation.
examples of problems that i found:
1.there is no "Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing
Center window" for windows vista.
2.should both computers have the same workgroup name?
3.how do i access the other computer from the current one ?
4.on vista, how do i choose to share a folder? there is no "share" (or
"sharing and security") item in the context menu of folders.

please just give me a full step by step manual to my case .

btw, i still don't get any email notifications of this forum, even though i
choose "notify me of replies" .

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> Hi
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> When you are done Reboot all the Network Devices, and the computers.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "UFO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > @Don:
> > 1.how do i do that? they are both just linked to the router, not to each
> > other (or maybe that's already like this automatically? ) .
> > 2.how do i choose what to share and what not to share?
> >
> > @Pavel:
> > this problem is related to networking, wireless connection between PCs
> > using
> > a router , which both have a Windows OS , one has xp and the other has
> > vista.
> > this problem can be entered in many categories here.
> >
> > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
> >

> >> 1. Create a network linking your desktop and laptop.
> >> (If in doubt, do / start / help / network.) Both PCs are
> >> probably configured to do this, but you take the first
> >> steps on one, then create a floppy, and execute the
> >> floppy in the other.
> >> 2. When the two PCs are connected, ensure that
> >> each is set to Share at least one hard drive or folder.
> >> (If in doubt, see / start / help / sharing.)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Don Phillipson
> >> Carlsbad Springs
> >> (Ottawa, Canada)
> >>

> >> .
> >>

> .

UFO

can anyone please help?

UFO

please give me a step by step text here , and not an outside website with so
many pages to read . i ask for very basic functions.