Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Free AV for 64Bit Windows7

Free AV for 64Bit Windows7

El.Plates

Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
arriving tomorrow..
TIA

Rajesh Shenoy

I'd say the answer to this really depends on how much exposure to malware
your computer will be getting by your activities.

1. Are you good at recognising phishing mails, and avoid them?
2. Do you visit shady sites, and download files and executables from unknown
sources?
3. Your external storage devices - USB pen-drives, hard-drives, CD's, and
DVD's - do you share them with lots of other computers (friends' and public
computers)?

If you answered "yes," "no" and "no" respectively - all three exactly like
that - only then you can consider your computer usage habits as "safe."

And for safe usages, there is nothing better than Microsoft Security
Essentials, which works seamlessly with, and equally quietly, efficiently
and beautifully as Windows 7.

I'm a safe user, and I've been on MSE for close to a month now without any
issues. MSE once detected some malware in one of the mails in my spam
folder, and removed it automatically. That's about the only time I realised
I actually had an antivirus working on my PC!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
- Rajesh

"El.Plates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
> arriving tomorrow..
> TIA

El.Plates

"Rajesh Shenoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd say the answer to this really depends on how much exposure to malware
> your computer will be getting by your activities.
>
> 1. Are you good at recognising phishing mails, and avoid them?
> 2. Do you visit shady sites, and download files and executables from
> unknown sources?
> 3. Your external storage devices - USB pen-drives, hard-drives, CD's, and
> DVD's - do you share them with lots of other computers (friends' and
> public computers)?
>
> If you answered "yes," "no" and "no" respectively - all three exactly like
> that - only then you can consider your computer usage habits as "safe."
>
> And for safe usages, there is nothing better than Microsoft Security
> Essentials, which works seamlessly with, and equally quietly, efficiently
> and beautifully as Windows 7.
>
> I'm a safe user, and I've been on MSE for close to a month now without any
> issues. MSE once detected some malware in one of the mails in my spam
> folder, and removed it automatically. That's about the only time I
> realised I actually had an antivirus working on my PC!
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Cheers!
> - Rajesh
>
> "El.Plates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7
>> notebook arriving tomorrow..
>> TIA

I have always used the free Avira 32bit AV and would prefer something like
this with a tried and tested history rather than a Microsoft AV

Jane C

El.Plates wrote:
> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7
> notebook arriving tomorrow..
> TIA

Avira's AntiVir.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

El.Plates

"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> El.Plates wrote:
>> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7
>> notebook arriving tomorrow..
>> TIA

> Avira's AntiVir.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

That's what I want but cannot find a 64bit free version on the Avira
site....

mikeyhsd

Microsoft Security Essentials.

passes all others in security testing.

"mikeyhsd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Microsoft Security Essentials.

passes all others in security testing.

(E-Mail Removed)

"El.Plates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
arriving tomorrow..
TIA

Can you point me towards a test against Avira ?

Carlos

Hi,
Avast (www.avast.com) has a free "home" version that has almost you will
ever need.
On the other hand I am now giving a shot to the free (and lightweight)
Microsoft Security Essentials, which integrates antivirus+malware protection.
So far so good.
Carlos

"El.Plates" wrote:

> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
> arriving tomorrow..
> TIA

Charlie Russel - MVP

I've been using MS's Security Essentials and am quite pleased with it.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"El.Plates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for the best performing free AV solution for new Windows7 notebook
> arriving tomorrow..
> TIA

El.Plates

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been using MS's Security Essentials and am quite pleased with it.

Ok I'll give it a go !!