Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Building Python on Solaris 10?

Building Python on Solaris 10?

Judy Booth

Can anyone point me towards some instructions for building Python on
Solaris 10?
We need this for some of our test scripts and so far we cannot get this
to build.

We have tried both Python 2.6.4 and 3.1.1 and both fail with messages
like this:
Include/pyport.h:685:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/python.o'

The configure command used is:
../configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit --enable-universalsdk
LDFLAGS="-s
-L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/ssl/lib -lgcc" --prefix=/opt/python
--prefix=${PREFIX}

and the compiler version is gcc 3.4.3.

A search on Google showed this up as a problem several years ago and
suggested that there might be a problem with the way configure is working
on Solaris.

If anyone can help with this that would be great.

Thanks,

Judy

ryles

On Oct 28, 3:46*pm, Judy Booth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone point me towards some instructions for building Python on
> Solaris 10?
> We need this for some of our test scripts and so far we cannot get this
> to build.
>
> We have tried both Python 2.6.4 and 3.1.1 and both fail with messages
> like this:
> Include/pyport.h:685:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
> platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/python.o'
>
> The configure command used is:
> ./configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit --enable-universalsdk
> LDFLAGS="-s
> -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/ssl/lib -lgcc" --prefix=/opt/python
> --prefix=${PREFIX}
>
> and the compiler version is gcc 3.4.3.
>
> A search on Google showed this up as a problem several years ago and
> suggested that there might be a problem with the way configure is working
> on Solaris.
>
> If anyone can help with this that would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Judy

We never heard back from the OP of this thread, but you might try
building with cc instead of gcc:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....109ba2c86c3715

Judy Booth

"M.-A. Lemburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Why are you building with "--with-universal-archs=64-bit
> --enable-universalsdk" on Solaris ?
>
> Those options should only be used for Mac OS X.
>
> Python currently does not support building universal binaries
> on Solaris.
>
> If you're still having problems, you might want to look at this
> patch:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1628484
>
> If it works for you, please add a comment.

I can't answer the question about univeral binaries because I'm not
building it myself. As a software developer I can build our software
releases on the Solaris boxes but I have to ask one of the sysadmins to
install new software on there and the one tring to install Python for us
ran into problems.

Thanks for the comments - I will take a look at that patch and see if it
helps. However, from the sound of it I think the next step may be for me
to either sit with him or build it myself and then tell him what he needs
to do.

Whatever we end up doing I will try to post an update on here about how
we resolve this.

Thanks,

Judy