Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell Laptop

Dell Laptop

Charlie

Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
reconnected.
Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
show a short.

Charlie

NotMe

"Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hca6d9$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
: Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
: It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
: With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
is
: plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
: until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
then
: reconnected.
: Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
: A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
: show a short.
:

Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.

Charlie

"NotMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hca6o3$ft6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hca6d9$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
> : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
> : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
> it
> is
> : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
> : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
> then
> : reconnected.
> : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
> : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
> : show a short.
> :
>
> Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.

Tried that. No difference.

Charlie

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
>>It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
>>With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
>>is
>>plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
>>until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
>>then
>>reconnected.
>>Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
>>A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
>>show a short.

> Well, it's either the laptop or the power supply. Likely the battery
> is dead, hence it won't power up with the battery. Do you have another
> battery or another power supply?

No spare parts to try swapping. That is why it is a chore to decide what's
broken.

I am about to try a little test. I dug out a power resistor That is 16
ohms. The p/s is rated at 19 volts.

I am going to see if that shuts down the supply when used as a dummy load.

NotMe

"Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hca7j6$np2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
:
: "NotMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:hca6o3$ft6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
: >
: > "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:hca6d9$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
: > : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
: > : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
: > : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
: > it
: > is
: > : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
restored
: > : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
: > then
: > : reconnected.
: > : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially
history?
: > : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does
not
: > : show a short.
: > :
: >
: > Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.
: >
: >
:
: Tried that. No difference.

Just this moment found a similar problem. Turned out the wire between the
PS and the computer had a partial open (high resistance) in the circuit.

floffy

wrote:

>Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
>It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
>With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
>plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
>until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
>reconnected.
>Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
>A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
>show a short.
>

>Charlie

The computer power plug is short
try to find the short in the laptop

RickMerrill

floffy wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
>> It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
>> With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
>> plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
>> until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
>> reconnected.
>> Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
>> A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
>> show a short.
>>

>> Charlie
>>

> The computer power plug is [a] short
> try to find the short [circuit] in the laptop

Ditto! There is a short circuit somewhere between the power supply and
the computer innards.

Charlie

"NotMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hca8nf$3f3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hca7j6$np2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> :
> : "NotMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:hca6o3$ft6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> : >
> : > "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : > news:hca6d9$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> : > : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
> : > : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
> : > : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights
> until
> : > it
> : > is
> : > : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
> restored
> : > : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac
> and
> : > then
> : > : reconnected.
> : > : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially
> history?
> : > : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does
> not
> : > : show a short.
> : > :
> : >
> : > Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.
> : >
> : >
> :
> : Tried that. No difference.
>
> Just this moment found a similar problem. Turned out the wire between
> the
> PS and the computer had a partial open (high resistance) in the circuit.

I don't have my hands on the h/w right now but that is an easy check. I
should be so lucky.

Charlie

"floffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
>>It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
>>With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
>>is
>>plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
>>until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
>>then
>>reconnected.
>>Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
>>A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
>>show a short.
>>

>>Charlie
>>

> The computer power plug is short
> try to find the short in the laptop

I said that I had done an ohmeter check at the power socket and it was not
short or particularly low.

Of course, there may be something breaking down at full voltage. Really
hesitate to open a laptop unless there are no other options.

floffy

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:57:44 -0400, RickMerrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>floffy wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
>>> It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
>>> With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
>>> plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
>>> until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
>>> reconnected.
>>> Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
>>> A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
>>> show a short.
>>>

>>> Charlie
>>>

>> The computer power plug is [a] short
>> try to find the short [circuit] in the laptop
>>

>Ditto! There is a short circuit somewhere between the power supply and
>the computer innards.

Read connectly
With out plug , power supply work , when plug its short.
than the short is on the mother board of the laptop