Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 and 16-bit software

Windows 7 and 16-bit software

Frank

Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
32-bot software?

On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
configure the VM.

Thanks.

Richard Urban

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
> 32-bot software?
>
> On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
> preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
> configure the VM.
>
> Thanks.

Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.

If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.

Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Poutnik

In article <eN$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
> > 32-bot software?
> >
> > On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
> > preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
> > configure the VM.
> >
> > Thanks.

> Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.
>
> If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
> it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.
>
> Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

If having Home version, you are not out of luck.

You can try VirtualBox,
that does not have requirements
for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.

Bobby Johnson

VMware Player 3.0 is free and you can now create VMs as well. VMware
Player has full USB 2.0 support and a 'Unity' mode that is similar to
Microsoft's implementation of Virtual XP.

Poutnik wrote:
> In article <eN$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
>>> 32-bot software?
>>>
>>> On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
>>> preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
>>> configure the VM.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.
>>
>> If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
>> it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.
>>
>> Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

> If having Home version, you are not out of luck.
>
> You can try VirtualBox,
> that does not have requirements
> for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
> Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
> experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox

Charlie Russel - MVP

Windows 7 Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
32-bit version runs 32-bit and 16-bit software just fine. The 64-bit version
runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run 16-bit software. (No
64-bit MS operating system will run 16-bit software.)

For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
solution. The MS Windows VPC is only installable on Professional,
Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions of Windows 7.

The Starter Edition of Windows 7 is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
> 32-bot software?
>
> On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
> preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
> configure the VM.
>
> Thanks.

Poutnik

In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Windows 7 Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
> 32-bit version runs 32-bit and 16-bit software just fine. The 64-bit version
> runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run 16-bit software. (No
> 64-bit MS operating system will run 16-bit software.)
>
> For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
> solution. The MS Windows VPC is only installable on Professional,
> Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions of Windows 7.
>
> The Starter Edition of Windows 7 is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
> available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.

Does VirtualPC 2007 run on Win 7 ?
I ask because on Vista64 Home Premium it works
and need not HW virtuslization.

I know, it is not supported for Home Vista, but works well.

--

On Oct 28, 6:10*am, Poutnik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <eN$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

> > "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> > > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
> > > 32-bot software?

> > > On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
> > > preloaded to run16-bit? * I heard that you may have to download and
> > > configure the VM.

> > > Thanks.

> >WindowsVirtual PC does NOT come with any version ofWindows7.

> > If you haveWindows7Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
> > it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.

> > Get it here: *http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

> If having Home version, you are not out of luck.
>
> You can try VirtualBox,
> that does not have requirements
> for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
> Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
> experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/http://en....iki/VirtualBox
>
> --
> Poutnik
> The best depends on how the best is defined.- Hide quoted text -

Doe sthe user need to have a copy of Windows XP to run programs under
Virtual Box virtualization?

Frank

On Oct 28, 10:57*am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Windows7Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
> 32-bit version runs 32-bit and16-bitsoftware just fine. The 64-bit version
> runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run16-bitsoftware. (No
> 64-bit MS operating system will run16-bitsoftware.)
>
> For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
> solution. The MSWindowsVPC is only installable on Professional,
> Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions ofWindows7.
>
> The Starter Edition ofWindows7is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
> available. The Home Basic edition has *been dropped.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
> > 32-bot software?

> > On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
> > preloaded to run16-bit? * I heard that you may have to download and
> > configure the VM.

> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

With 7 Pro and Ultimate - MSFT provides a copy of XP on their
virtualiztion VM download/plug-in?

For 64-bit Home Premium - a third party could be VM Ware or MSFT's VM
but you will need a copy of XP?

Thanks.

Frank

On Oct 28, 9:11*am, Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> VMware Player 3.0 is free and you can now create VMs as well. *VMware
> Player has full USB 2.0 support and a 'Unity' mode that is similar to
> Microsoft's implementation of Virtual XP.
>

> Poutnik wrote:
> > In article <eN$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.

> >> If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
> >> it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.

> >> Get it here: *http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

> > If having Home version, you are not out of luck.

> > You can try VirtualBox,
> > that does not have requirements
> > for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
> > Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
> > experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.

> >http://www.virtualbox.org/
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox- Hide quoted text -

But the user will have to buy & load a copy of Windows XP OS or other
older version of Windows to run 16-bit? Then run VM Ware player?

Poutnik

In article <8b5fdbff-6003-4844-acec-
(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Doe sthe user need to have a copy of Windows XP to run programs under
> Virtual Box virtualization?

Sure, you do need to have a copy of Windows installed under VBox.

Always think about Virtual machines under any of virtualization
software as theywere real, physical machine.

VBox without installed OS is like PC without installed OS.