Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 and 16-bit software

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 7 and 16-bit software

 
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009

Yes.

Frank wrote:
> On Oct 28, 10:57 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Windows7Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
>> 32-bit version runs 32-bit and16-bitsoftware just fine. The 64-bit version
>> runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run16-bitsoftware. (No
>> 64-bit MS operating system will run16-bitsoftware.)
>>
>> For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
>> solution. The MSWindowsVPC is only installable on Professional,
>> Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions ofWindows7.
>>
>> The Starter Edition ofWindows7is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
>> available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>
>>
>>> Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
>>> 32-bot software?
>>> On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
>>> preloaded to run16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
>>> configure the VM.
>>> Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

>> - Show quoted text -

>
> With 7 Pro and Ultimate - MSFT provides a copy of XP on their
> virtualiztion VM download/plug-in?
>
>
> For 64-bit Home Premium - a third party could be VM Ware or MSFT's VM
> but you will need a copy of XP?
>
> Thanks.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009

Yes.

Frank wrote:
> On Oct 28, 6:10 am, Poutnik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <eN$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
>>>> 32-bot software?
>>>> On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
>>>> preloaded to run16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
>>>> configure the VM.
>>>> Thanks.
>>> WindowsVirtual PC does NOT come with any version ofWindows7.
>>> If you haveWindows7Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
>>> it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.
>>> Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

>> If having Home version, you are not out of luck.
>>
>> You can try VirtualBox,
>> that does not have requirements
>> for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
>> Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
>> experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.
>>
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/http://en....iki/VirtualBox
>>
>> --
>> Poutnik
>> The best depends on how the best is defined.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> Doe sthe user need to have a copy of Windows XP to run programs under
> Virtual Box virtualization?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009
Yes.

Frank wrote:
> On Oct 28, 9:11 am, Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> VMware Player 3.0 is free and you can now create VMs as well. VMware
>> Player has full USB 2.0 support and a 'Unity' mode that is similar to
>> Microsoft's implementation of Virtual XP.
>>
>>
>>
>> Poutnik wrote:
>>> In article <eN$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
>>>>> 32-bot software?
>>>>> On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
>>>>> preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
>>>>> configure the VM.
>>>>> Thanks.
>>>> Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.
>>>> If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
>>>> it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.
>>>> Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
>>> If having Home version, you are not out of luck.
>>> You can try VirtualBox,
>>> that does not have requirements
>>> for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
>>> Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
>>> experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.
>>> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox- Hide quoted text -

>> - Show quoted text -

>
> But the user will have to buy & load a copy of Windows XP OS or other
> older version of Windows to run 16-bit? Then run VM Ware player?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009
It doesn't currently install, so far as I'm aware. It's possible that there
may be a solution at some point, but I haven't seen any details.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64


"Poutnik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPG.2552bd1ddab75555989850@127.0.0.1...
> In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Windows 7 Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
>> 32-bit version runs 32-bit and 16-bit software just fine. The 64-bit
>> version
>> runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run 16-bit software. (No
>> 64-bit MS operating system will run 16-bit software.)
>>
>> For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
>> solution. The MS Windows VPC is only installable on Professional,
>> Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions of Windows 7.
>>
>> The Starter Edition of Windows 7 is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't
>> widely
>> available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.

>
> Does VirtualPC 2007 run on Win 7 ?
> I ask because on Vista64 Home Premium it works
> and need not HW virtuslization.
>
> I know, it is not supported for Home Vista, but works well.
>
> --
> Poutnik
> The best depends on how the best is defined.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009
Correct on both counts. Though I don't believe that there is a MS solution
at this time for Home Premium, but certainly VMWare (or other third party)
would be a viable solution. But you would need a copy of XP.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64


"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 28, 10:57 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Windows7Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
> 32-bit version runs 32-bit and16-bitsoftware just fine. The 64-bit version
> runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run16-bitsoftware. (No
> 64-bit MS operating system will run16-bitsoftware.)
>
> For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
> solution. The MSWindowsVPC is only installable on Professional,
> Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions ofWindows7.
>
> The Starter Edition ofWindows7is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
> available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
> > 32-bot software?

>
> > On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
> > preloaded to run16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
> > configure the VM.

>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


With 7 Pro and Ultimate - MSFT provides a copy of XP on their
virtualiztion VM download/plug-in?


For 64-bit Home Premium - a third party could be VM Ware or MSFT's VM
but you will need a copy of XP?

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jane C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009
Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> It doesn't currently install, so far as I'm aware. It's possible that
> there may be a solution at some point, but I haven't seen any details.
>

I have it running here (the old Virtual PC 2007 SP1) on Windows 7 x64
just fine. It won't install if you've previously tried to install
Windows Virtual PC, you need to fiddle around and remove that first
completely. On a fresh install of Windows 7, VPC will install and run
with no issues. Virtual Server on the other hand is blocked on 7.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2009
Ah, must have been a message I saw from someone who had installed WinVPC
first. I knew about the blockage of VS.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uVHU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> It doesn't currently install, so far as I'm aware. It's possible that
>> there may be a solution at some point, but I haven't seen any details.
>>

> I have it running here (the old Virtual PC 2007 SP1) on Windows 7 x64
> just fine. It won't install if you've previously tried to install Windows
> Virtual PC, you need to fiddle around and remove that first completely.
> On a fresh install of Windows 7, VPC will install and run with no issues.
> Virtual Server on the other hand is blocked on 7.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John UK VOIP 0 08-29-2007 05:14 AM
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John ASP .Net 0 08-29-2007 05:08 AM
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John Java 0 08-28-2007 05:53 AM
Catalog of Free Windows Software including software to copy DVDs freeforwindows DVD Video 0 01-31-2006 04:02 PM



Advertisments