Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Idea: Time clock with bell.

Idea: Time clock with bell.

Skybuck Flying

Hello,

There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
computer.

A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
Like old clocks do...

So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...

Or maybe user specified...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Bob I

Pick the one you fancy
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...arm&aqi=g2g-m8

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
> computer.
>
> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
> Like old clocks do...
>
> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
>
> Or maybe user specified...
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
install this on any other computer I might be at

I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:

"It's now 4 o clock"

or

"It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes"

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pick the one you fancy
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...arm&aqi=g2g-m8
>
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
>> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
>> with a computer.
>>
>> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
>> intervals... Like old clocks do...
>>
>> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
>>
>> Or maybe user specified...
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.

Tom Willett

How about plain common sense?
Pilots should know better.

news:6170c$4ae767b0$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.n b.home.nl...
:
: I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
:
: "It's now 4 o clock"
:
: or
:
: "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes"
:
: Bye,
: Skybuck.
:
: "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Pick the one you fancy
: >
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...arm&aqi=g2g-m8
: >
: > Skybuck Flying wrote:
: >> Hello,
: >>
: >> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
time...
: >> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
: >> with a computer.
: >>
: >> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
: >> intervals... Like old clocks do...
: >>
: >> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
: >>
: >> Or maybe user specified...
: >>
: >> Bye,
: >> Skybuck.
: >
:
:

David B. Mathews

Wife has a Cookoo Clock and I have a Grandfather clock in which both chime
on the 1/2 hour and count the hour plus grandfather plays tune on hour and
guess what. After hearing it for all these years we don't even hear it
anymore. My guess your idea would work the same. Now if it opened a screen
that covered the whole monitor at set time where you have to click on the X
in the upper right corner to close it would be the only way it would work
for me.
===================
"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4d55c$4ae7519c$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.n b.home.nl...
> Hello,
>
> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with
> a computer.
>
> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
> intervals... Like old clocks do...
>
> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
>
> Or maybe user specified...
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Anthony Buckland

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6170c$4ae767b0$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.n b.home.nl...
> Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
> install this on any other computer I might be at
>
> I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
>
> "It's now 4 o clock"
>
> or
>
> "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes"

I Googled talking clocks and noted various downloadable applications,
but then it hit me, this is the Christmas shopping season, just the
time of year when cheap gadgets that do this kind of thing inhabit
the shelves of places like the Source (Canadian successor to
Radio Shack). Get a talking clock. A literal, standalone device.
Put it on your work surface where you can hear it. Turn it on.
No virus problems other than possible H1N1 from the last person
to pass by who couldn't stand listening to the thing, or who
decided to give you a Halloween treat by switching it to Santiago
time and changing the language to Spanish.

Antares 531

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:01:46 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
>something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
>computer.
>
>A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
>Like old clocks do...
>
>So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
>
>Or maybe user specified...
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.

In the olden days pirates got along quite well with a talking parrot
on their shoulder. Would this work for you? Of course there is that
problem of parrot excrement. Maybe computer viruses aren't so nasty,
after all??? Gordon

biermanoski

It must be just Me...I find myself looking down to the right (System Tray)
every 15 minutes or so.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't help my computer addiction ((

Maybe, I need one of those rubber mallets, to hit Me in the head every 15
minutes instead. hehehe

Jean

"Tom Willett" wrote:

> How about plain common sense?
> Pilots should know better.
>
> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6170c$4ae767b0$d53372a9$(E-Mail Removed)1.n b.home.nl...
> : Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
> : install this on any other computer I might be at
> :
> : I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
> :
> : "It's now 4 o clock"
> :
> : or
> :
> : "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes"
> :
> : Bye,
> : Skybuck.
> :
> : "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > Pick the one you fancy
> : >
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...arm&aqi=g2g-m8
> : >
> : > Skybuck Flying wrote:
> : >> Hello,
> : >>
> : >> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
> time...
> : >> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
> : >> with a computer.
> : >>
> : >> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
> : >> intervals... Like old clocks do...
> : >>
> : >> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
> : >>
> : >> Or maybe user specified...
> : >>
> : >> Bye,
> : >> Skybuck.
> : >
> :
> :
>

> .

Bob I

Then you should forget the clock business, and get your PC security up
to par first!

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
> install this on any other computer I might be at
>
> I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
>
> "It's now 4 o clock"
>
> or
>
> "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes"
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Pick the one you fancy
>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...arm&aqi=g2g-m8
>>
>>Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
>>>something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
>>>with a computer.
>>>
>>>A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
>>>intervals... Like old clocks do...
>>>
>>>So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
>>>
>>>Or maybe user specified...
>>>
>>>Bye,
>>> Skybuck.

Gary Mount

I think there are Windows Vista and Windows 7 desktop or sidebar gadgets
that do this kind of thing.