Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: If RtS ran a hotel...

Re: If RtS ran a hotel...

richard

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:05:56 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091026/...rouble_in_taos
>
> TAOS, N.M. Larry Whitten marched into this northern New Mexico town
> in late July on a mission: resurrect a failing hotel.
>
> The tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules.
> Among them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down,
> Southwestern adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence
> (he thought they'd be talking about him), and ordered some to
> Anglicize their names.
>
> No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos.
> Now it would be Mark.

Mr. Platt sir? Did you know it's required by US federal law for persons who
want to become US citizens know, and speak the English language?
If his employees are in fact, law abiding citizens, then they must know the
proper lingo. As they don't give the oath in any language but English.

As an American citizen, living in the good ole USA, it is NOT my duty to
learn YOUR language. It is YOUR duty to learn mine. If you went to visit
Mexico City, didn't know Spanish, do you expect them to know English just
because you're a big bad dumbass gringo?

I see it all the time travelling across the country. Motel clerks barely
know enough english to do the job. The mexican maids barely know any.

Is this guy an asshole? To a degree. He doesn't like the names, tough ****.
Live with it. Can he legally require the employees to speak to him only in
English. Yes he can. I've seen it way to many times. Mexicans love to play
the game of "I no comprehende inglis", but you know damn good and well they
know every word you're saying.

When I worked for a major trucking company, I was in the dispatch office
one day. They had a driver in who knew not one word of English. I said,
bullshit. How the hell did he get his CDL? The written test is given only
in English, and they don't allow you to have someone else present.

It's a damn shame that more and more Americans are bending over backwards
to make the life of Spanish speaking people more enjoyable in this country.
Are you gonna sit still when your kid comes home from school and tells you
he has to learn spanish because his teacher speaks nothing but spanish and
it ain't a foreign language class? I'd be bitchin to the school board damn
quick.

You know the old saying? When in Rome.......

alan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:05:56 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091026/...rouble_in_taos
>>
>> TAOS, N.M. - Larry Whitten marched into this northern New Mexico town
>> in late July on a mission: resurrect a failing hotel.
>>
>> The tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules.
>> Among them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down,
>> Southwestern adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence
>> (he thought they'd be talking about him), and ordered some to
>> Anglicize their names.
>>
>> No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos.
>> Now it would be Mark.

> Mr. Platt sir? Did you know it's required by US federal law for persons
> who
> want to become US citizens know, and speak the English language?
> If his employees are in fact, law abiding citizens, then they must know
> the
> proper lingo. As they don't give the oath in any language but English.
>
> As an American citizen, living in the good ole USA, it is NOT my duty to
> learn YOUR language. It is YOUR duty to learn mine. If you went to visit
> Mexico City, didn't know Spanish, do you expect them to know English just
> because you're a big bad dumbass gringo?
>
> I see it all the time travelling across the country. Motel clerks barely
> know enough english to do the job. The mexican maids barely know any.
>
> Is this guy an asshole? To a degree. He doesn't like the names, tough
> ****.
> Live with it. Can he legally require the employees to speak to him only in
> English.

---He was demanding that they speak English *in his presence*. Learn to read
more carefully.

> When I worked for a major trucking company, I was in the dispatch office
> one day. They had a driver in who knew not one word of English. I said,
> bullshit. How the hell did he get his CDL? The written test is given only
> in English, and they don't allow you to have someone else present.

---*Bullshit* (if by "CDL" you mean California Drivers License), you can
take the written test in Spanish, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian,
Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian,
Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian/Farsi, Polish,
Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Tagalog/Filipino, Thai,
Tongan, Turkish, and Vietnamese.

> It's a damn shame that more and more Americans are bending over backwards
> to make the life of Spanish speaking people more enjoyable in this
> country.

You don't read much history do you, Richard? Language shifts have taken
place all over the world and over the course of thousands of years. It
happens. Get used to it.
One thing for sure, laws have not really had much influence on trends in
language shifting . . . .

richard

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:01:03 -0700, alan wrote:

> [...]

> ---*Bullshit* (if by "CDL" you mean California Drivers License), you can
> take the written test in Spanish, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian,
> Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian,
> Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian/Farsi, Polish,
> Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Tagalog/Filipino, Thai,
> Tongan, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
>
>> It's a damn shame that more and more Americans are bending over backwards
>> to make the life of Spanish speaking people more enjoyable in this
>> country.

> You don't read much history do you, Richard? Language shifts have taken
> place all over the world and over the course of thousands of years. It
> happens. Get used to it.
> One thing for sure, laws have not really had much influence on trends in

No dumbshit, "Commercial Drivers License" as required by every interstate
trucker in the country. see www.fmcsa.dot.gov

You ever seen a road sign posted in Spanish or any other language?

alan

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hc5goj$4g1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:05:56 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091026/...rouble_in_taos
>>>
>>> TAOS, N.M. - Larry Whitten marched into this northern New Mexico town
>>> in late July on a mission: resurrect a failing hotel.
>>>
>>> The tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules.
>>> Among them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down,
>>> Southwestern adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence
>>> (he thought they'd be talking about him), and ordered some to
>>> Anglicize their names.
>>>
>>> No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos.
>>> Now it would be Mark.

>> Mr. Platt sir? Did you know it's required by US federal law for persons
>> who
>> want to become US citizens know, and speak the English language?
>> If his employees are in fact, law abiding citizens, then they must know
>> the
>> proper lingo. As they don't give the oath in any language but English.
>>
>> As an American citizen, living in the good ole USA, it is NOT my duty to
>> learn YOUR language. It is YOUR duty to learn mine. If you went to visit
>> Mexico City, didn't know Spanish, do you expect them to know English just
>> because you're a big bad dumbass gringo?
>>
>> I see it all the time travelling across the country. Motel clerks barely
>> know enough english to do the job. The mexican maids barely know any.
>>
>> Is this guy an asshole? To a degree. He doesn't like the names, tough
>> ****.
>> Live with it. Can he legally require the employees to speak to him only
>> in
>> English.

> ---He was demanding that they speak English *in his presence*. Learn to
> read more carefully.
>

>> When I worked for a major trucking company, I was in the dispatch office
>> one day. They had a driver in who knew not one word of English. I said,
>> bullshit. How the hell did he get his CDL? The written test is given only
>> in English, and they don't allow you to have someone else present.

> ---*Bullshit* (if by "CDL" you mean California Drivers License), you can
> take the written test in Spanish, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian,
> Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian,
> Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian/Farsi, Polish,
> Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Tagalog/Filipino, Thai,
> Tongan, Turkish, and Vietnamese.

And if you don't believe it, have a look:
http://es.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#languages

>> It's a damn shame that more and more Americans are bending over backwards
>> to make the life of Spanish speaking people more enjoyable in this
>> country.

> You don't read much history do you, Richard? Language shifts have taken
> place all over the world and over the course of thousands of years. It
> happens. Get used to it.
> One thing for sure, laws have not really had much influence on trends in
> language shifting . . . .

Mike Yetto

Bada bing richard <(E-Mail Removed)> bada bang:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:05:56 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091026/...rouble_in_taos
>>
>> TAOS, N.M. – Larry Whitten marched into this northern New Mexico town
>> in late July on a mission: resurrect a failing hotel.
>>
>> The tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules.
>> Among them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down,
>> Southwestern adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence
>> (he thought they'd be talking about him), and ordered some to
>> Anglicize their names.
>>
>> No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos.
>> Now it would be Mark.

> Mr. Platt sir? Did you know it's required by US federal law for persons who
> want to become US citizens know, and speak the English language?
> If his employees are in fact, law abiding citizens, then they must know the
> proper lingo. As they don't give the oath in any language but English.

There is no requirement that anyone *never* speak a language
other than english.

> As an American citizen, living in the good ole USA, it is NOT my duty to
> learn YOUR language. It is YOUR duty to learn mine. If you went to visit
> Mexico City, didn't know Spanish, do you expect them to know English just
> because you're a big bad dumbass gringo?

In the US of A there is no official language, just a common one.

> I see it all the time travelling across the country. Motel clerks barely
> know enough english to do the job. The mexican maids barely know any.

You really should stop harassing the maids, no matter what
language you think they are speaking.

> Is this guy an asshole? To a degree. He doesn't like the names, tough ****.
> Live with it. Can he legally require the employees to speak to him only in
> English. Yes he can. I've seen it way to many times. Mexicans love to play
> the game of "I no comprehende inglis", but you know damn good and well they
> know every word you're saying.

Do you really think he was asking them to speak to him only in
english? Re-read the article. He forbade the speaking of
spanish in his presence.

> When I worked for a major trucking company, I was in the dispatch office
> one day. They had a driver in who knew not one word of English. I said,
> bullshit. How the hell did he get his CDL? The written test is given only
> in English, and they don't allow you to have someone else present.

How is this apropos to the discussion? All it does is illuminate
your prejudice further.

> It's a damn shame that more and more Americans are bending over backwards
> to make the life of Spanish speaking people more enjoyable in this country.
> Are you gonna sit still when your kid comes home from school and tells you
> he has to learn spanish because his teacher speaks nothing but spanish and
> it ain't a foreign language class? I'd be bitchin to the school board damn
> quick.

Please let us know where and when this happened, in any K-12 school.

> You know the old saying? When in Rome.......

Have you ever been in Rome? It isn't difficult to get by with
only english.

Mike "I don't mean Rome, NY" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Jordon

richard wrote:
> No dumbshit, "Commercial Drivers License" as required by every interstate
> trucker in the country. see www.fmcsa.dot.gov

Hey numbnuts. It's not just interstate. It's for any
commercial motor vehicles with a GVWR of more than
26,000 pounds, or carry more than 15 people, or is
required to display hazardous materials placards.

And you call yourself a ex trucker?

Read the site you referenced...

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...ng/cdl/cdl.htm

--