Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 2000 install - moving from RAID to IDE

Windows 2000 install - moving from RAID to IDE

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

Can use Ghost to from one physical disk (RAID array) to internal IDE
but I get the STOP error with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE.

Checked Boot.ini and it seems to point to correct disk. Booted from
CD
into Recovery mode and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but no difference.

I'm guessing that something is telling windows that its boot disk is
RAID disk, rather than IDE internal disk. How do I change this? Any
ideas?

why?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:21:45 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

Given up with the other thread?

You didn't say what RAID level it was, may not help however.

Nor if it was software only, hardware?

>Can use Ghost to from one physical disk (RAID array) to internal IDE
>but I get the STOP error with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE.
>
>Checked Boot.ini and it seems to point to correct disk. Booted from
>CD
>into Recovery mode and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but no difference.

The Win image you made will have the RAID device drivers installed. The
boot sector stuff won't help with that. Windows config thinks the RAID
is still there.

>I'm guessing that something is telling windows that its boot disk is
>RAID disk, rather than IDE internal disk. How do I change this? Any
>ideas?

Don't have a fix, best bet is searching www.google.com and find a
utility the may help.

Me

chuckcar

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can use Ghost to from one physical disk (RAID array) to internal IDE
> but I get the STOP error with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE.
>
> Checked Boot.ini and it seems to point to correct disk. Booted from
> CD
> into Recovery mode and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but no difference.
>
> I'm guessing that something is telling windows that its boot disk is
> RAID disk, rather than IDE internal disk. How do I change this? Any
> ideas?

Actually *installing* windows 2000 properly to the computer with the
changed hardware would be a good start. Windows 2000 does *not* like
messing with it's drives to put it mildly.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On Oct 26, 8:49*pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Can use Ghost to from one physical disk (RAID array) to internal IDE
> > but I get the STOP error with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE.

> > Checked Boot.ini and it seems to point to correct disk. Booted from
> > CD
> > into Recovery mode and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but no difference.

> > I'm guessing that something is telling windows that its boot disk is
> > RAID disk, rather than IDE internal disk. How do I change this? Any
> > ideas?

> Actually *installing* windows 2000 properly to the computer with the
> changed hardware would be a good start. Windows 2000 does *not* like
> messing with it's drives to put it mildly.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) *car(chuck) )

Yeh. Re-install would be a pain.

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On Oct 27, 2:06*pm, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:21:45 -0700 (PDT), "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
> >Can use Ghost to from one physical disk (RAID array) to internal IDE
> >but I get the STOP error with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE.

> >Checked Boot.ini and it seems to point to correct disk. Booted from
> >CD
> >into Recovery mode and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but no difference.

> >I'm guessing that something is telling windows that its boot disk is
> >RAID disk, rather than IDE internal disk. How do I change this? Any
> >ideas?

> My expert answer depends on what type array you have.

Hardware RAID card in machine.

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com

On Oct 27, 2:50*pm, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:07:52 -0700 (PDT), "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>

> >On Oct 27, 2:06?pm, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> My expert answer depends on what type array you have.

> >Hardware RAID card in machine.

> Cannot create a bootable image from a RAID container using Ghost as
> far as I know. Download a trial of Acronis True Image or a warez
> version and try it. Do some research using Google and read up.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah. We got Acronis workstation (licensed version) but of course, its
no good for windows 2000 server.

chuckcar

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Oct 26, 8:49*pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:538c

> 614c-2ea6-4a12-aa06-1edf046c1ff6@31g...oglegroups.com:
>>
>> > Can use Ghost to from one physical disk (RAID array) to internal IDE
>> > but I get the STOP error with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE.

>> > Checked Boot.ini and it seems to point to correct disk. Booted from
>> > CD
>> > into Recovery mode and ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but no difference.

>> > I'm guessing that something is telling windows that its boot disk is
>> > RAID disk, rather than IDE internal disk. How do I change this? Any
>> > ideas?

>> Actually *installing* windows 2000 properly to the computer with the
>> changed hardware would be a good start. Windows 2000 does *not* like
>> messing with it's drives to put it mildly.
>>

> Yeh. Re-install would be a pain.

Well, as my point stated, I doubt there's a choice. You *can't* remove and
then detect hard drives with 2000. That would be the only way of fixing your
problem. The problem is that once you remove the drives, 2000 no longer can
boot *at* *all*.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )