Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Python GUI

Re: Python GUI

Philip Semanchuk

On Oct 25, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Ronn Ross wrote:

> I need to create a gui for python. I'm looking for something that is
> easy to
> learn and cross platform. Any suggestions? If you have any good
> tutorials
> please send along. Thanks in advance.

wxPython (which wraps wxWidgets) is popular and IMO reasonably well
laid out. I hear great things about PyQt (which wraps QT) but I
haven't used it. PySide is a new wrapper for QT that has generated a
lot of excitement but is still its infancy, I think.

HTH
Philip

Grant Edwards

On 2009-10-26, Philip Semanchuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Ronn Ross wrote:
>
>> I need to create a gui for python. I'm looking for something that is
>> easy to
>> learn and cross platform. Any suggestions? If you have any good
>> tutorials
>> please send along. Thanks in advance.

> wxPython (which wraps wxWidgets) is popular and IMO reasonably well
> laid out.

I wouldn't call wxPython easy to learn. (It is, however, what
I use when I need a cross-platform GUI.) IMO, Tkinter is much
easier to learn. But, it doesn't use native widgets, so Tkinter
apps look like Tkinter apps rather than like other native apps.

> I hear great things about PyQt (which wraps QT) but I haven't
> used it. PySide is a new wrapper for QT that has generated a
> lot of excitement but is still its infancy, I think.

I've always intended to look into pyFLTK, but have never had
time to do more than a simple "hello world" program.

--
Grant

eb303

On Oct 26, 3:53 am, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-10-26, Philip Semanchuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 25, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Ronn Ross wrote:

> >> I need to create a gui for python. I'm looking for something that is
> >> easy to
> >> learn and cross platform. Any suggestions? If you have any good
> >> tutorials
> >> please send along. Thanks in advance.

> > wxPython (which wraps wxWidgets) is popular and IMO reasonably well
> > laid out.

> I wouldn't call wxPython easy to learn. (It is, however, what
> I use when I need a cross-platform GUI.) IMO, Tkinter is much
> easier to learn. But, it doesn't use native widgets, so Tkinter
> apps look like Tkinter apps rather than like other native apps.

Not anymore: tcl/tk 8.5 now includes the ttk themed widget set, which
can be made to use native widgets by setting the proper theme.

> > I hear great things about PyQt (which wraps QT) but I haven't
> > used it. PySide is a new wrapper for QT that has generated a
> > lot of excitement but is still its infancy, I think.

> I've always intended to look into pyFLTK, but have never had
> time to do more than a simple "hello world" program.

Does FLTK support native widgets? Last time I looked, it didn't seem
to... But it was quite a long time ago.