Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL documentation tool

Reply
Thread Tools

VHDL documentation tool

 
 
john@doe.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2009
hullo,
I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
files.
I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
Any suggestion?

rix
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Floyd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2009
On 25 Oct 2009 14:16:38 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hullo,
> I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
> files.
> I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
> doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
> Any suggestion?


Doxygen?

A bientot
Paul Floyd
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Floyd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2009
On 25 Oct 2009 14:16:38 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hullo,
> I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
> files.
> I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
> doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
> Any suggestion?


I've only used Doxygen with C++ and C, and found its various diagrams
quite impressive. You need dot to get the most out of it.

What do you mean by gerarchy? Hierarchy?

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2009
(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> hullo,
> I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
> files.
> I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
> doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
> Any suggestion?


I've used Natural Docs with VHDL - with the following in Languages.txt:

Language: Vhdl

Extensions: vhd vho vhm
Line Comment: --
Block Comments:
Package Separator: .
Enum Values: Global
Function Prototype Enders: ; is
Variable Prototype Enders: ; :=


Language: UCF

Extension: ucf
Line Comment: #
Block Comments:

It doesn't do a bad job IMHO, although it's not perfect, as it is
"template matching" rather than truely understanding the VHDL. It
also doesn't generate a hierarchy diagram.

Cheers,
Martin

--
(E-Mail Removed)
TRW Conekt - Consultancy in Engineering, Knowledge and Technology
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Benjamin Couillard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2009

There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Benjamin Couillard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2009
On 27 oct, 00:18, Benjamin Couillard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
> of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
> need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.


I also agree that Doxygen isn't really suited for VHDL. It seems like
someone patched doxygen for VHDL.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Floyd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2009
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:19:59 -0700 (PDT), Benjamin Couillard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27 oct, 00:18, Benjamin Couillard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
>> of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
>> need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.

>
> I also agree that Doxygen isn't really suited for VHDL. It seems like
> someone patched doxygen for VHDL.


And what would you you say is lacking?

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
 
Reply With Quote
 
Benjamin Couillard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2009
On 27 oct, 15:12, Paul Floyd <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:19:59 -0700 (PDT), Benjamin Couillard
> * *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 27 oct, 00:18, Benjamin Couillard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
> >> of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
> >> need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.

>
> > I also agree that Doxygen isn't really suited for VHDL. It seems like
> > someone patched doxygen for VHDL.

>
> And what would you you say is lacking?
>
> A bientot
> Paul
> --
> Paul Floyd * * * * * * * *http://paulf.free.fr


A hierarchy diagram mostly, because the inheritance diagram in the
exmple below is somehow meaningless.
For "regular" programming language like C, I think that doxygen is
greatto document self-contained modules (like a driver for example),
but less so to document a whole project.

http://www.doxygen.nl/examples/mux/html/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VHDL-2002 vs VHDL-93 vs VHDL-87? afd VHDL 1 03-23-2007 09:33 AM
converting XSD documentation to HTML documentation kev.sully@gmail.com XML 1 09-16-2006 12:09 PM
Documentation tool? jhcorey@yahoo.com ASP .Net 0 02-03-2006 08:14 PM
Python documentation: How about structured documentation? Looking for comments/suggestions Kenneth McDonald Python 2 05-06-2004 04:11 AM
Principles of documentation (was: Python Documentation Blows!) Cameron Laird Python 1 04-03-2004 06:54 PM



Advertisments