Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade to W7 and Office activation

Upgrade to W7 and Office activation

Ron Rosenfeld

I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have several
modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.

Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?

--ron

Bobby Johnson

If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on
your Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate
over the telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to
Win 7.

Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
icons transferred.

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have several
> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
>
> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
>
> --ron

Rick Rothstein

I'll be moving to Windows 7 soon also and, like Ron, I'll be doing a *full*
install (Ron called it a "clean install"), not an upgrade. So, can you
clarify when the "Windows Easy Transfer" program would be run? Would I do
that before I destroyed the information on the hard disk by overwriting it
with Windows 7? Where does the information go... on a CD? Or does that
program only work for upgrades from Windows XP or Vista? Any clarification
for this that you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

--
Rick

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on your
> Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate over the
> telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to Win 7.
>
> Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
> to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
> setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
> pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
> icons transferred.
>

> Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have several
>> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
>>
>> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do
>> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
>>
>> --ron

Bobby Johnson

Go to
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...p-to-windows-7

East Transfer is under Tab 2.

You are directed to links to download Easy Transfer.

Rick Rothstein wrote:
> I'll be moving to Windows 7 soon also and, like Ron, I'll be doing a
> *full* install (Ron called it a "clean install"), not an upgrade. So,
> can you clarify when the "Windows Easy Transfer" program would be run?
> Would I do that before I destroyed the information on the hard disk by
> overwriting it with Windows 7? Where does the information go... on a CD?
> Or does that program only work for upgrades from Windows XP or Vista?
> Any clarification for this that you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

Bobby Johnson

For some reason I was thinking you could use Easy Transfer from the Win
7 DVD but apparently you need to download the program from Microsoft's
website. Links are in my response to Rick Rothstein.

I did my wife's about 2 months ago and don't remember some specific details.

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on
> your Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate
> over the telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to
> Win 7.
>
> Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
> to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
> setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
> pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
> icons transferred.
>

> Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have several
>> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
>>
>> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to
>> do to
>> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
>>
>> --ron

Rick Rothstein

I just printed the upgrading tutorial out... thanks!

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...p-to-windows-7
>
> East Transfer is under Tab 2.
>
> You are directed to links to download Easy Transfer.
>

> Rick Rothstein wrote:
>> I'll be moving to Windows 7 soon also and, like Ron, I'll be doing a
>> *full* install (Ron called it a "clean install"), not an upgrade. So, can
>> you clarify when the "Windows Easy Transfer" program would be run? Would
>> I do that before I destroyed the information on the hard disk by
>> overwriting it with Windows 7? Where does the information go... on a CD?
>> Or does that program only work for upgrades from Windows XP or Vista? Any
>> clarification for this that you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:37:45 -0400, Bobby Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on
>your Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate
>over the telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to
>Win 7.
>
>Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
>to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
>setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
>pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
>icons transferred.
>

>Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have several
>> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
>>
>> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
>> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
>>
>> --ron

Thanks for that information, Bobby.

I know about the Easy Transfer program. I'm planning on using it for my Outlook
stuff; but probably not for other program settings, as they are easily
reproduced. And I don't have much customization, anyway.
--ron

Charlie Russel - MVP

You _can_ run it from the Win7 DVD (it's in Support\MigWiz). But ONLY if you
are running the same "bitness". IOW, if you currently have 64-bit Windows,
and you're converting to 64-bit Win7, then you use the same DVD. If you're
currently running 32-bit Windows, you'll need to either do the download, or
use the migwiz.exe from the 32-bit Win7.

You can _not_ run WET to go from 64-bit Windows to 32-bit Win7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OtTT$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For some reason I was thinking you could use Easy Transfer from the Win 7
> DVD but apparently you need to download the program from Microsoft's
> website. Links are in my response to Rick Rothstein.
>
> I did my wife's about 2 months ago and don't remember some specific
> details.
>
> Bobby Johnson wrote:
>> If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on
>> your Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate
>> over the telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to
>> Win 7.
>>
>> Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
>> to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
>> setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
>> pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
>> icons transferred.
>>

>> Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>>> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have
>>> several
>>> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
>>>
>>> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do
>>> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7
>>> installation?
>>>
>>> --ron

Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:50:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You _can_ run it from the Win7 DVD (it's in Support\MigWiz). But ONLY if you
>are running the same "bitness". IOW, if you currently have 64-bit Windows,
>and you're converting to 64-bit Win7, then you use the same DVD. If you're
>currently running 32-bit Windows, you'll need to either do the download, or
>use the migwiz.exe from the 32-bit Win7.
>
>You can _not_ run WET to go from 64-bit Windows to 32-bit Win7.

From what has been written, am I correct in assuming that you CAN use WET to go
from 32 bit Windows XP to 64-bit Windows 7?

Also, is there a list of exactly what WET does? I know where the stuff is I
want to copy over. But I don't want to copy extraneous settings, and
information from defunct add-ins.

Is the storage scheme in Documents and Settings the same in W7 as it was in XP
Pro? In particular, the ...\My Documents, ...\Application Data, and ...\Local
Settings folders?

--ron

Charlie Russel - MVP

Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is worth
it, IME.

When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2 GB
or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.

Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
the reverse.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64