Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Steven Hilgendorf

Hello,

This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents,
files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows
7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
running, or is this not necessary?

Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

Thank you,

Steven

Jeff Gaines

On 24/10/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Steven
Hilgendorf wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array and
>I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
>formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents, files,
>program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
recognise it.

>If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
>disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows 7
>64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
>running, or is this not necessary?

I don't think that should be necessary.

>Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose it
may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk of
failure.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Bobby Johnson

Win 7 x64 drivers for the RAID host will be needed. Make sure you can
obtain them before you start.

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
> formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents,
> files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.
>
> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
> disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows
> 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
> running, or is this not necessary?
>
> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steven

Steven Hilgendorf

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 24/10/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Steven
> Hilgendorf wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
>> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an
>> existing formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains
>> documents, files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

> If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
> recognise it.

Yes, It's FAT32 setup and formated with VISTA.

>> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I
>> temporarily disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and
>> install Windows 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once
>> everything is up and running, or is this not necessary?

> I don't think that should be necessary.

OK, however I still may unplug the drive during setup and format so that
the IDE drive content does not get zapped.

>> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

> Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose
> it may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk
> of failure.

I've installed my last two OS's on RAID 0 ARRAYS and have not worried
about failure, since I backup my data regularly. I also try to upgrade
my hardware every year or so.

Thanks again,

Steven

Steven Hilgendorf

Ah good point!

Thanks again,

Steven

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> Win 7 x64 drivers for the RAID host will be needed. Make sure you can
> obtain them before you start.
>

> Steven Hilgendorf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
>> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an
>> existing formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains
>> documents, files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.
>>
>> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I
>> temporarily disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and
>> install Windows 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once
>> everything is up and running, or is this not necessary?
>>
>> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Steven

Charlie Russel - MVP

Why would the content get "zapped"? You're going to be formatting the array,
fine, but that won't change the data drive.

I also think that having RAID0 is a really bad idea, since it does double
your chance of failure. And while you might have a good backup, it's still a
pain.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Steven Hilgendorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 24/10/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Steven
>> Hilgendorf wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>>> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
>>> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
>>> formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents,
>>> files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

>> If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
>> recognise it.
>>

> Yes, It's FAT32 setup and formated with VISTA.
>
>>> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
>>> disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows
>>> 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
>>> running, or is this not necessary?

>> I don't think that should be necessary.
>>

> OK, however I still may unplug the drive during setup and format so that
> the IDE drive content does not get zapped.
>
>>> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

>> Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose
>> it may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk
>> of failure.
>>

> I've installed my last two OS's on RAID 0 ARRAYS and have not worried
> about failure, since I backup my data regularly. I also try to upgrade my
> hardware every year or so.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Steven

mikeyhsd

be cautious.
make sure drivers are available for the RAID array before installing.

been at least 1 report of no raid drivers.

"Steven Hilgendorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello,

This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents,
files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows
7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
running, or is this not necessary?

Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

Thank you,

Steven

swarfega

You may want to convert the hard drives from fat32 to ntfs when you come to
format them.

"Steven Hilgendorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array and
> I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
> formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents, files,
> program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.
>
> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
> disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows 7
> 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
> running, or is this not necessary?
>
> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steven

David B.

Not necessarily, depends on the chipset, 7 has drivers for some.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win 7 x64 drivers for the RAID host will be needed. Make sure you can
> obtain them before you start.
>

> Steven Hilgendorf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
>> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
>> formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents, files,
>> program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.
>>
>> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
>> disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows
>> 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
>> running, or is this not necessary?
>>
>> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Steven

David B.

How is it a hassle? Yes it doubles the chance of a hard drive failure, but
frequent backups take care of that risk.

news(E-Mail Removed)...