Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > my button died and I'm totally lost

my button died and I'm totally lost

Steve

Hi-

I had this nice little wizard application running. It was comprised of
several Panel controls initially set w/ their visibility off except for the
first one, then as you progress through the page, a code-behind method would
manage the correct panel's visibility, giving the illusion of separate
steps. Fine, great.

All the panels has server button controls for "Next" and "Previous"
The last panel has a button control (server of course) that would call a
different Click event than the other buttons in the previous panels.

I did something, I don't know what but when I click the button "Finish"....
the event never fires, digging deeper I realized that Page_Load() isn't even
firing. So... what it does is make the window flash, then it all goes
white. The page never posts.

Here is the rendered HTML for the button:
<input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" onclick="if
(typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "
language="javascript" id="Button_Finish" />

I think it has something to do with the button being inside a panel.

Actually, I just found out why it's not working.... there is no
Page_ClientValidate() function in the rendered HTML. I guess it creates it
in the first panel that holds a button that Causes Validation, then later
when I hide that panel, there is no script rendered. This is speculation of
course, but if this is the case.... I would think that this would be a bug,
wouldn't you.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Anything would be cool,

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

OK, so I turned off validation. It still won't post. I've put a breakpoint
right in Page_Load and it doesn't fire

here is the rendered HTML for the button
<input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" id="Button_Finish"
/>

looks fine to me?.....

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi-
>
> I had this nice little wizard application running. It was comprised of
> several Panel controls initially set w/ their visibility off except for

the
> first one, then as you progress through the page, a code-behind method

would
> manage the correct panel's visibility, giving the illusion of separate
> steps. Fine, great.
>
> All the panels has server button controls for "Next" and "Previous"
> The last panel has a button control (server of course) that would call a
> different Click event than the other buttons in the previous panels.
>
> I did something, I don't know what but when I click the button

"Finish"....
> the event never fires, digging deeper I realized that Page_Load() isn't

even
> firing. So... what it does is make the window flash, then it all goes
> white. The page never posts.
>
> Here is the rendered HTML for the button:
> <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" onclick="if
> (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "
> language="javascript" id="Button_Finish" />
>
> I think it has something to do with the button being inside a panel.
>
> Actually, I just found out why it's not working.... there is no
> Page_ClientValidate() function in the rendered HTML. I guess it creates

it
> in the first panel that holds a button that Causes Validation, then later
> when I hide that panel, there is no script rendered. This is speculation

of
> course, but if this is the case.... I would think that this would be a

bug,
> wouldn't you.
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions??
>
> Anything would be cool,
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

George Durzi

Check your On_Load event, it's generated by the IDE. Sometimes stuff gets
deleted from there. You might have to add the delegate manually

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, so I turned off validation. It still won't post. I've put a

breakpoint
> right in Page_Load and it doesn't fire
>
> here is the rendered HTML for the button
> <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH"

id="Button_Finish"
> />
>

> looks fine to me?.....
>
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi-
> >
> > I had this nice little wizard application running. It was comprised of
> > several Panel controls initially set w/ their visibility off except for

> the
> > first one, then as you progress through the page, a code-behind method

> would
> > manage the correct panel's visibility, giving the illusion of separate
> > steps. Fine, great.
> >
> > All the panels has server button controls for "Next" and "Previous"
> > The last panel has a button control (server of course) that would call a
> > different Click event than the other buttons in the previous panels.
> >
> > I did something, I don't know what but when I click the button

> "Finish"....
> > the event never fires, digging deeper I realized that Page_Load() isn't

> even
> > firing. So... what it does is make the window flash, then it all goes
> > white. The page never posts.
> >
> > Here is the rendered HTML for the button:
> > <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" onclick="if
> > (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "
> > language="javascript" id="Button_Finish" />
> >
> > I think it has something to do with the button being inside a panel.
> >
> > Actually, I just found out why it's not working.... there is no
> > Page_ClientValidate() function in the rendered HTML. I guess it creates

> it
> > in the first panel that holds a button that Causes Validation, then

later
> > when I hide that panel, there is no script rendered. This is

speculation
> of
> > course, but if this is the case.... I would think that this would be a

> bug,
> > wouldn't you.
> >
> > Thoughts? Suggestions??
> >
> > Anything would be cool,
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

Ron Vecchi

Check the InitilizeComponent() function. Most likly the Page_Load event
wiring has been removed by the designer.
Has happened to me a few times.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, so I turned off validation. It still won't post. I've put a

breakpoint
> right in Page_Load and it doesn't fire
>
> here is the rendered HTML for the button
> <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH"

id="Button_Finish"
> />
>

> looks fine to me?.....
>
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi-
> >
> > I had this nice little wizard application running. It was comprised of
> > several Panel controls initially set w/ their visibility off except for

> the
> > first one, then as you progress through the page, a code-behind method

> would
> > manage the correct panel's visibility, giving the illusion of separate
> > steps. Fine, great.
> >
> > All the panels has server button controls for "Next" and "Previous"
> > The last panel has a button control (server of course) that would call a
> > different Click event than the other buttons in the previous panels.
> >
> > I did something, I don't know what but when I click the button

> "Finish"....
> > the event never fires, digging deeper I realized that Page_Load() isn't

> even
> > firing. So... what it does is make the window flash, then it all goes
> > white. The page never posts.
> >
> > Here is the rendered HTML for the button:
> > <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" onclick="if
> > (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "
> > language="javascript" id="Button_Finish" />
> >
> > I think it has something to do with the button being inside a panel.
> >
> > Actually, I just found out why it's not working.... there is no
> > Page_ClientValidate() function in the rendered HTML. I guess it creates

> it
> > in the first panel that holds a button that Causes Validation, then

later
> > when I hide that panel, there is no script rendered. This is

speculation
> of
> > course, but if this is the case.... I would think that this would be a

> bug,
> > wouldn't you.
> >
> > Thoughts? Suggestions??
> >
> > Anything would be cool,
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

Steve

Thanks for the responses guys,

That was however the first thing that I checked, I made sure everything was
still wired up.

thanks though!

"Ron Vecchi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23UnwH5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check the InitilizeComponent() function. Most likly the Page_Load event
> wiring has been removed by the designer.
> Has happened to me a few times.
>

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > OK, so I turned off validation. It still won't post. I've put a

> breakpoint
> > right in Page_Load and it doesn't fire
> >
> > here is the rendered HTML for the button
> > <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH"

> id="Button_Finish"
> > />
> >

> > looks fine to me?.....
> >
> > "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi-
> > >
> > > I had this nice little wizard application running. It was comprised

of
> > > several Panel controls initially set w/ their visibility off except

for
> > the
> > > first one, then as you progress through the page, a code-behind method

> > would
> > > manage the correct panel's visibility, giving the illusion of separate
> > > steps. Fine, great.
> > >
> > > All the panels has server button controls for "Next" and "Previous"
> > > The last panel has a button control (server of course) that would call

> > > different Click event than the other buttons in the previous panels.
> > >
> > > I did something, I don't know what but when I click the button

> > "Finish"....
> > > the event never fires, digging deeper I realized that Page_Load()

isn't
> > even
> > > firing. So... what it does is make the window flash, then it all goes
> > > white. The page never posts.
> > >
> > > Here is the rendered HTML for the button:
> > > <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" onclick="if
> > > (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "
> > > language="javascript" id="Button_Finish" />
> > >
> > > I think it has something to do with the button being inside a panel.
> > >
> > > Actually, I just found out why it's not working.... there is no
> > > Page_ClientValidate() function in the rendered HTML. I guess it

creates
> > it
> > > in the first panel that holds a button that Causes Validation, then

> later
> > > when I hide that panel, there is no script rendered. This is

> speculation
> > of
> > > course, but if this is the case.... I would think that this would be a

> > bug,
> > > wouldn't you.
> > >
> > > Thoughts? Suggestions??
> > >
> > > Anything would be cool,
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Steve

Hermit Dave

y dont you post you code so we can have a more detailed look on it...

--
Regards,

HD

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the responses guys,
>
> That was however the first thing that I checked, I made sure everything

was
> still wired up.
>
> thanks though!
>

> "Ron Vecchi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23UnwH5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Check the InitilizeComponent() function. Most likly the Page_Load event
> > wiring has been removed by the designer.
> > Has happened to me a few times.
> >

> > "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > OK, so I turned off validation. It still won't post. I've put a

> > breakpoint
> > > right in Page_Load and it doesn't fire
> > >
> > > here is the rendered HTML for the button
> > > <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH"

> > id="Button_Finish"
> > > />
> > >

> > > looks fine to me?.....
> > >
> > > "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> of

> for
> > > the

method
> > > would

separate

call

> > > "Finish"....

> isn't
> > > even

goes

> creates
> > > it

> > later

> > speculation
> > > of

> > > bug,

Steve

you guys aren't gonna believe what it was..... the size of the files I was
posting was too big, so it was not a code problem, but I file size problem.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, problem solved finally

Take it easy!

news:ea%(E-Mail Removed)...

"

panel.

> > creates

then
> > > later
> > > speculation

be

Ron Vecchi

I ran in to that prob before. It set me back a while also.

news:u8p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> you guys aren't gonna believe what it was..... the size of the files I was
> posting was too big, so it was not a code problem, but I file size

problem.

> Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, problem solved finally
>
> Take it easy!
>

> "Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ea%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > y dont you post you code so we can have a more detailed look on it...
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > HD
> >
> > "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks for the responses guys,
> > >
> > > That was however the first thing that I checked, I made sure

everything
> > was
> > > still wired up.
> > >
> > > thanks though!
> > >

> > > "Ron Vecchi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%23UnwH5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> event

> comprised
> > > of

> except
> > > for

> > method

> > separate

> "Previous"

would
> > call

> panels.

Page_Load()
> > > isn't

all
> > goes

> onclick="if

Page_ClientValidate();
> "

> panel.

> > > creates

> then

would
> be

Steve

Yeah, I imagine it could be a common proeblem. Did you find a way to
increase the size allowed?

"Ron Vecchi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I ran in to that prob before. It set me back a while also.
>

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u8p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > you guys aren't gonna believe what it was..... the size of the files I

was
> > posting was too big, so it was not a code problem, but I file size

> problem.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, problem solved finally
> >
> > Take it easy!
> >

> > "Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:ea%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > y dont you post you code so we can have a more detailed look on it...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > HD
> > >
> > > "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> everything
> > > was

> > event

> > comprised

> > except

code-behind
> > > method
> > > separate

> > "Previous"

> would
> > > call

> > panels.

> Page_Load()

> all
> > > goes

> > onclick="if

> Page_ClientValidate();
> > "

> > panel.

no

it

> > then

> would
> > be

Ron Vecchi

Yes, web.config - maxRequestLength = "Number of KB" - my example is 30
mb.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="30720" />
</system.web>
</configuration>

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, I imagine it could be a common proeblem. Did you find a way to
> increase the size allowed?
>

> "Ron Vecchi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I ran in to that prob before. It set me back a while also.
> >

> > "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:u8p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > you guys aren't gonna believe what it was..... the size of the files I

> was
> > > posting was too big, so it was not a code problem, but I file size

> > problem.
> > >
> > > Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, problem solved finally
> > >
> > > Take it easy!
> > >

> > > "Hermit Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
> > > news:ea%(E-Mail Removed)...

it...

> > everything

Page_Load
> > > event

put

> > > comprised

off
> > > except

> code-behind

of

> > > "Previous"

> > would
> > > panels.

button

> > Page_Load()

it
> > all

> > > onclick="if

> > Page_ClientValidate();
> > > "

> > > panel.

> no

guess
> it

Validation,
> > > then

is

> > would
> > > be

robot b9 from lost in space died doS Computer Support 4 01-21-2009 02:25 AM
totally lost newbie mark Python 3 05-27-2007 10:58 AM
Update SQL database from form - newbie and totally lost! guardsman85 ASP .Net 2 08-29-2006 03:08 AM
stl errors - totally lost karthik kumar C++ 8 12-03-2004 01:33 PM
Dell system died... totally... Kenneth Computer Support 7 11-18-2003 07:49 AM

Advertisments