Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > UAC Virtual PC

UAC Virtual PC

Jeff Gaines

I installed my retail copy of Win7 Pro - 64 yesterday and have pretty well
all my apps installed. I have even got my Canoscan 5200F working with the
Vista 64 driver.

I am struggling to get to grips with UAC - I have turned it down one notch
but I don't want to turn it off. I run backups overnight from a batch file
which include exporting a branch of the registry:

CALL D:\Apps\Backups\savexanakey.bat
which contains one line:
C:\windows\regedit.exe /e xana.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Woozle

When I run it I get a UAC prompt, which is not much good if I'm asleep!
The batch file then calls SmartSync Pro which runs fine and SyncBackSE
which throws up a UAC prompt.
Is there any way to add the batch file or the programs to a trusted list
so I don't get a UAC prompt? I cannot understand why one app runs but
another gets the prompt.

I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.

Many thanks

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Richard Urban

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I installed my retail copy of Win7 Pro - 64 yesterday and have pretty well
> all my apps installed. I have even got my Canoscan 5200F working with the
> Vista 64 driver.
>
> I am struggling to get to grips with UAC - I have turned it down one notch
> but I don't want to turn it off. I run backups overnight from a batch file
> which include exporting a branch of the registry:
>
> CALL D:\Apps\Backups\savexanakey.bat
> which contains one line:
> C:\windows\regedit.exe /e xana.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Woozle
>
> When I run it I get a UAC prompt, which is not much good if I'm asleep!
> The batch file then calls SmartSync Pro which runs fine and SyncBackSE
> which throws up a UAC prompt.
> Is there any way to add the batch file or the programs to a trusted list
> so I don't get a UAC prompt? I cannot understand why one app runs but
> another gets the prompt.
>
> I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
> is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
> installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
> run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
> I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
> this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
> Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Wow! I can see there is going to be a huge amount of problems with
"VirtualPC" flavors.

Please be specific as to which ones you are referring to.

There is VirtualPC 2004

There is VirtualPC 2007

There is VirtualPC 2007 SP1

Then, there is Windows Virtual PC which is for Windows 7. This is the
version that is meant to run Windows XP Mode. You need a CPU and motherboard
bios that supports hardware virtualization to run this combination. Do you
have the necessary hardware?

So, which version are you trying to run Windows XP Mode within?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Jeff Gaines

On 24/10/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
Urban wrote:

>Wow! I can see there is going to be a huge amount of problems with
>"VirtualPC" flavors.

Am I the first!

>Please be specific as to which ones you are referring to.
>
>There is VirtualPC 2004
>
>There is VirtualPC 2007
>
>There is VirtualPC 2007 SP1

That's the one I installed - VirtualPC 2007 SP1 - after I installed XP
Mode and the Virtual PC file that is on the same page for down-load.

>Then, there is Windows Virtual PC which is for Windows 7. This is the
>version that is meant to run Windows XP Mode. You need a CPU and
>motherboard bios that supports hardware virtualization to run this
>combination. Do you have the necessary hardware?
>
>So, which version are you trying to run Windows XP Mode within?

I am successfully running Windows XP Mode in the version the XP Mode
website pointed to:
Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu

It's good it has such a descriptive name

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Carlos

Jeff,
You can use Virtual PC for creating other VM's.
Start, All Programs, Windows Virtual PC.
Click on Windows Virtual PC.
This will open a folder, not the application but...
Click on the menu option "Create Virtual Machine" and a Wizard will open to
assist you in the creation of a new VM.
Is that what you were looking for?
Carlos

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> I installed my retail copy of Win7 Pro - 64 yesterday and have pretty well
> all my apps installed. I have even got my Canoscan 5200F working with the
> Vista 64 driver.
>
> I am struggling to get to grips with UAC - I have turned it down one notch
> but I don't want to turn it off. I run backups overnight from a batch file
> which include exporting a branch of the registry:
>
> CALL D:\Apps\Backups\savexanakey.bat
> which contains one line:
> C:\windows\regedit.exe /e xana.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Woozle
>
> When I run it I get a UAC prompt, which is not much good if I'm asleep!
> The batch file then calls SmartSync Pro which runs fine and SyncBackSE
> which throws up a UAC prompt.
> Is there any way to add the batch file or the programs to a trusted list
> so I don't get a UAC prompt? I cannot understand why one app runs but
> another gets the prompt.
>
> I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
> is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
> installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
> run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
> I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
> this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
> Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
> .

Jeff Gaines

On 24/10/2009 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Carlos wrote:

>Jeff,
>You can use Virtual PC for creating other VM's.
>Start, All Programs, Windows Virtual PC.
>Click on Windows Virtual PC.
>This will open a folder, not the application but...
>Click on the menu option "Create Virtual Machine" and a Wizard will open to
>assist you in the creation of a new VM.
>Is that what you were looking for?
>Carlos

Yes Carlos, thank you

Just tested it with Lemmings in DOS 6.22!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Poutnik

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
> is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
> installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
> run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
> I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
> this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
> Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.

Concerning VirtualPC, if there are problems to have it installed/run on
Win7, try VirtualBox (Freeware) with your Virtual disks.

http://www.virtualbox.com

It is multiplatform, for both 32/64 bit both hosts and guests.
( You need CPU supporting HW virtualization for 64b guests,
but on the other hand 64guests can run on 32b host )

VirtualBox can natively use virtual disks from VirtualPC,
or you can convert it to VDI disk format.

Personally I use W2K and Win7RC as guests on Vista64 Home Premium.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.

Jeff Gaines

On 24/10/2009 in message <MPG.254d19bec4fb321e989846@127.0.0.1> Poutnik
wrote:

>Concerning VirtualPC, if there are problems to have it installed/run on
>Win7, try VirtualBox (Freeware) with your Virtual disks.
>
>http://www.virtualbox.com

Thanks, Poutnik

It's actually http://www.virtualbox.org if anybody else wants to try.

It is much slower than Virtual PC running DOS 6.22 - HocusPocus this time

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Poutnik

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On 24/10/2009 in message <MPG.254d19bec4fb321e989846@127.0.0.1> Poutnik
> wrote:
>
> >Concerning VirtualPC, if there are problems to have it installed/run on
> >Win7, try VirtualBox (Freeware) with your Virtual disks.
> >
> >http://www.virtualbox.com

> Thanks, Poutnik
>
> It's actually http://www.virtualbox.org if anybody else wants to try.
>
> It is much slower than Virtual PC running DOS 6.22 - HocusPocus this time

Then it has to be caused by something else.

In past I used to run w2k under VPC, now under VBox.
I did not noticed difference.

Anyway, DosBOX would be much slower,
being emulation, not virtualization.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.

Poutnik

In article <MPG.254d488762de9f05989849@127.0.0.1>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > It is much slower than Virtual PC running DOS 6.22 - HocusPocus

this time

There is one issue wilh older systems,
like Windows 9x, 3.x and DOS,
thay do not use HALT instruction when idle.

This is obstacle in virtualization,
making VirtualBox quite busy,
executing waiting loops.

Microsoft, who knows their systems obviously the best,
could has done in VPX some workarounds for that.

Vista uac problems patrick Java 3 01-08-2008 11:31 PM
ClickOnce Vista UAC. Application Manifest. =?Utf-8?B?VG9teTExMDI=?= ASP .Net 1 06-08-2007 04:41 AM
UAC has to be turned off to run MS Office 2007 =?Utf-8?B?bGNpY2NhcjIyMg==?= Windows 64bit 10 04-21-2007 08:32 PM
Aol recommended turning off UAC in order to listen to their XM radio canixs Windows 64bit 2 03-06-2007 09:25 AM
UAC had to be turn off for IE developer toolbar installed correctly canixs Windows 64bit 0 03-02-2007 03:42 PM

Advertisments