Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: netbook repair

Re: netbook repair

Jeff Strickland

"DJH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
>I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It didn't
>all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and the
>processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't working.
>It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt etc for it
>now . What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a reasonable cost
>(i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?

I'd be pulling the key tops off and cleaning the switches with a 409-type of
product. Perhaps alcohol would clean this out, or maybe even plain water on
a rag.

You can get a can of Contact Cleaner from the electronics store. Press each
button several times to be sure it's working freely. When the switches work
freely, put the key tops back on.

You can start the machine and open NotePad to see what the switches do, then
put the right key top in the right place.