Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: netbook repair

Re: netbook repair

JD

DJH wrote:
> I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
> didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and
> the processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't
> working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt
> etc for it now . What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a
> reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?

Hi DJH

if it is only the keyboard that is not working this should be pretty
simple to fix, the part you need is only 24 and you should be able to
do it yourself, you usually take off the bezel above the keyboard (may
have some buttons on it) and there will be a couple of screws once these
are removed the keyboard will lift out, there is only one ribbon cable
to remove/connect (there are release catches on the connector side use a
small screwdriver and push them outward)

once the keyboard is removed you can wash it using a shower head, wrap
it in a towel and leave it on a radiator or somewhere warm for a few
days till its completely dry then refit it, or replace with a new one

part you might want:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-la...item5ad3c00976

if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp PC
World.

Good luck
JD

baron

JD Inscribed thus:

> DJH wrote:
>> I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
>> didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and
>> the processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard
>> aren't working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the
>> receipt etc for it now . What's the likelihood of it being
>> repaired at a reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK)
>> or is it scrap?
>>

> Hi DJH
>
> if it is only the keyboard that is not working this should be pretty
> simple to fix, the part you need is only £24 and you should be able
> to do it yourself, you usually take off the bezel above the keyboard
> (may have some buttons on it) and there will be a couple of screws
> once these are removed the keyboard will lift out, there is only one
> ribbon cable to remove/connect (there are release catches on the
> connector side use a small screwdriver and push them outward)
>
> once the keyboard is removed you can wash it using a shower head, wrap
> it in a towel and leave it on a radiator or somewhere warm for a few
> days till its completely dry then refit it, or replace with a new one
>
> part you might want:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-la...item5ad3c00976

> if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp
> PC World.
>
> Good luck
> JD

I wouldn't touch the above part with a barge pole at that price under
those conditions. In my experience an awful lot of insurance claims
are for damage because of liquid spillage. Also coffee is quite
nasty ! It can do irepairable damage to the printed tracks on the
keyboard foils used.

The OP might get away with removing the keyboard and giving it a wash
with plain water and then letting it drain and dry out over a few days
in a warm airing cupboard.

This assumes that the OP has the skills to go down this route and remove
the keyboard without causing further damage.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4ae09c8e$0$2487$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DJH wrote:
>> I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
>> didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and the
>> processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't
>> working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt
>> etc for it now . What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a
>> reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?
>>

> Hi DJH
>
> if it is only the keyboard that is not working this should be pretty
> simple to fix, the part you need is only 24 and you should be able to do
> it yourself, you usually take off the bezel above the keyboard (may have
> some buttons on it) and there will be a couple of screws once these are
> removed the keyboard will lift out, there is only one ribbon cable to
> remove/connect (there are release catches on the connector side use a
> small screwdriver and push them outward)
>
> once the keyboard is removed you can wash it using a shower head, wrap it
> in a towel and leave it on a radiator or somewhere warm for a few days
> till its completely dry then refit it, or replace with a new one
>
> part you might want:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-la...item5ad3c00976
>
> if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp PC
> World.
>
> Good luck
> JD

The price is okay, I suppose. I don't know the exchange rate of the pound
vs. the dollar, but assuming an even exchange, twenty five dollars doesn't
seem bad. The problem is, you have no idea if the part works until you
discover that it doesn't. I have to know the price of a known-good keyboard
before I could pass judgement on the value of the part you found on eBay.

For a coffee (with cream and surgar) spill, I'd try cleaning the switches
before I spent a dime on parts or service. Keyboard these days are designed
well enough that internal damage should be minimal to non-existant for a
minor spill. Sticky keys might result, but this should be able to be
remedied through careful removal of the buttons affected and cleaning with a
suitable product. I'd consider contact cleaner, but a consideration is the
lubricant inside of the key switches that one would not want to wash out.

JD

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4ae09c8e$0$2487$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> DJH wrote:
>>> I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
>>> didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and the
>>> processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't
>>> working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt
>>> etc for it now . What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a
>>> reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?
>>>

>> Hi DJH
>>
>> if it is only the keyboard that is not working this should be pretty
>> simple to fix, the part you need is only 24 and you should be able to do
>> it yourself, you usually take off the bezel above the keyboard (may have
>> some buttons on it) and there will be a couple of screws once these are
>> removed the keyboard will lift out, there is only one ribbon cable to
>> remove/connect (there are release catches on the connector side use a
>> small screwdriver and push them outward)
>>
>> once the keyboard is removed you can wash it using a shower head, wrap it
>> in a towel and leave it on a radiator or somewhere warm for a few days
>> till its completely dry then refit it, or replace with a new one
>>
>> part you might want:
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-4489-la...item5ad3c00976
>>
>> if you take it to a pc repair shop they will charge you a fortune esp PC
>> World.
>>
>> Good luck
>> JD

> The price is okay, I suppose. I don't know the exchange rate of the pound
> vs. the dollar, but assuming an even exchange, twenty five dollars doesn't
> seem bad. The problem is, you have no idea if the part works until you
> discover that it doesn't. I have to know the price of a known-good keyboard
> before I could pass judgement on the value of the part you found on eBay.
>
> For a coffee (with cream and surgar) spill, I'd try cleaning the switches
> before I spent a dime on parts or service. Keyboard these days are designed
> well enough that internal damage should be minimal to non-existant for a
> minor spill. Sticky keys might result, but this should be able to be
> remedied through careful removal of the buttons affected and cleaning with a
> suitable product. I'd consider contact cleaner, but a consideration is the
> lubricant inside of the key switches that one would not want to wash out.

breakers, it was an example there are plenty of them on ebay, and quite
frankly the risk of 24 Vs 100+ is worth it. but you are quite right I
should have pointed out this fact (or possibly used one of the other
results).

as with all posts on newsgroups there are no guarantee's given, I
would assume the OP would remove his keyboard or atempt it before doing
anything else, once he has removed the keyboard, washing it would be a
sensible and free step, if that step didnt work, aquiring a keyboard
would be his next step, be it a cheap recovered/repaired or new. ether
way removing the keyboard is the first step even just to get the part
number, serching for the laptop make/model will yield some results but
the keyboard part number will result in many more options (part no. on
underside of KB), as keyboards are often used in different machines.

as for spills being the gratest cuase of laptop repairs thats debatable
I've seen far more drops than spills, where its the casings and screens
rather than spill's on the keyboard.

on a lighter note, this reminds me of when I bought a Brand new GFX
card, a X1950 PCI-E (was quite a while ago now) took it out of its
packaging, dismantled my pc, reached onto my desk to get my coffee and
knocked the mug of the desk the entire mug of coffee landed on the GFX
card, warrenty now stuffed i only had one choice, strip the card down
(remove heatsink and fan unit) wash the card, dry it and reassemble it
(reaplying thermal paste's etc) it worked perfictly, no real harm done.

guess the moral of the story is keep liquids away from electronic equipment.

Who all Pre-orderd Win7 if anyone that is?

JD

BillW50

In news:hbsrl5$h1g$(E-Mail Removed),
James D. Andrews typed on Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:11:50 -0500:
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4ae1e732$0$2477$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Who all Pre-orderd Win7 if anyone that is?
>>
>> JD

> Not I.
> As a standard rule, I wait to see what happens to everyone else
> before I upgrade. I'd rather their systems be trashy than mine -
> although the reviews on Win7 are overwhelmingly positive and the
> features displays I watched on ZDNet were pretty cool.

Well I used to wait awhile before jumping on the bandwagon as well. And
I said before Vista came out that I wouldn't run it before 2011 when I
was forced into it. Well it looks like that isn't ever going happen. And
I didn't even run any Windows XP machines until 2006!

I also have so many computers and many backups that I can afford to try
new things and it won't affect my other systems. And Windows 7
evaluation version is totally free anyway, so why not? I also preordered
two Windows 7 copies back in July before I have had much experience with
it.

Now I have a lot my experience with Windows 7 on two different machines.
I am not impressed with it at all. And I can see how inexperienced users
would like it. As it holds your hand a lot. Protects one from doing
something stupid, has a lot of eye candy, etc. But those kinds of things
actually slow people like me down and are totally unnecessary. Worse, it
is much slower than Windows 2000/XP. And I don't like this at all and I
don't have any use for an OS like this.

Now my preordered Windows 7 just came in. And I have no interested in it
at all. So there they go on the shelf with the other unused junk I have
sitting there.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

BillW50

James D. Andrews wrote on Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:13:14 -0500:
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hbsvc1$hfe$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In news:hbsrl5$h1g$(E-Mail Removed),
>> James D. Andrews typed on Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:11:50 -0500:
>>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4ae1e732$0$2477$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Not I.
>>> As a standard rule, I wait to see what happens to everyone else
>>> before I upgrade. I'd rather their systems be trashy than mine -
>>> although the reviews on Win7 are overwhelmingly positive and the
>>> features displays I watched on ZDNet were pretty cool.

>> Well I used to wait awhile before jumping on the bandwagon as well. And I
>> said before Vista came out that I wouldn't run it before 2011 when I was
>> forced into it. Well it looks like that isn't ever going happen. And I
>> didn't even run any Windows XP machines until 2006!

>> I also have so many computers and many backups that I can afford to try
>> new things and it won't affect my other systems. And Windows 7 evaluation
>> version is totally free anyway, so why not? I also preordered two Windows
>> 7 copies back in July before I have had much experience with it.
>>
>> Now I have a lot my experience with Windows 7 on two different machines. I
>> am not impressed with it at all. And I can see how inexperienced users
>> would like it. As it holds your hand a lot. Protects one from doing
>> something stupid, has a lot of eye candy, etc. But those kinds of things
>> actually slow people like me down and are totally unnecessary. Worse, it
>> is much slower than Windows 2000/XP. And I don't like this at all and I
>> don't have any use for an OS like this.
>>
>> Now my preordered Windows 7 just came in. And I have no interested in it
>> at all. So there they go on the shelf with the other unused junk I have
>> sitting there.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

> I don't have the luxury of running numerous more-or-less up-to-date
> machines, though I provide basic tech support to quite a few, so I make do
> with what I have on hand. This is why I need to hold off and see what
> problems are noted with the OS before I jump into the pool.

I believe that is the best way to do it James.

> You point out two of Win7's features as "totally unnecessary," specifically
> the improved user interface and improved protection against user errors.
> Now, features that are a significant aid to most users aren't really
> "unnecessary" just because you as an individual power user don't need or
> want them. They're still there should you decide to use these features
> later. I'm actually grateful for these features so that it's a little less
> likely for my users to **** things up. Of course, I'm not making $$$ off my
> repair work.

Yes I fully understand why Microsoft has done this and why most people
would welcome it. And I have no problems here at all. Although for me
and I am a minority, they all can't be disabled. So I am sort of out of
luck.

> The biggest problem noted with Windows 7 so far is the lack of a mail tool.
> Supposedly, neither Outlook Express nor Vista's mail program are included in
> the Win7 package, and this bites. Now I have to try several mail tools and
> find one I like. Since I've been using OE for so long, I'm not looking
> forward to it. Something about old dogs and new tricks.

Well Microsoft does have Windows Live Mail for free that works on
Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Parts of it are OE like while other
parts are not. That is what I use on my Windows 7 machines.

> Whether I agree or not, it is good to hear your review of the OS. I like to
> hear both good and bad things about a product before I buy. More informed
> decision and all that.

Yes that is very wise. And remember I am just a minority.

> Aren't you going to sell your unused copies of Win7 instead of leaving them
> on a shelf?

I might do that. As it has passed my mind anyway.

> Are you going to upgrade your XP to SP3? If not, why?

Two of mine are SP3. But the others have to stay at SP2 do to I have
Microsoft EWF installed on them and SP3 breaks it. This makes the system
drive as read only. So it can't get infected with anything. But you can
toggle it on and off if you do want to write to it once in awhile.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

JD

James D. Andrews wrote:

> I don't have the luxury of running numerous more-or-less up-to-date
> machines, though I provide basic tech support to quite a few, so I make do
> with what I have on hand. This is why I need to hold off and see what
> problems are noted with the OS before I jump into the pool.
>
> You point out two of Win7's features as "totally unnecessary," specifically
> the improved user interface and improved protection against user errors.
> Now, features that are a significant aid to most users aren't really
> "unnecessary" just because you as an individual power user don't need or
> want them. They're still there should you decide to use these features
> later. I'm actually grateful for these features so that it's a little less
> likely for my users to **** things up. Of course, I'm not making $$$ off my
> repair work.

I'm in two minds about the interface on one hand its clean and easy to
navigate, but they have hidden things like folder options,requires
serching the help file and clicking a button all this to turn off hide
extensions, show all files, as for the other nanying it can be turned
off however it is not as bad as vista.

other usefull features include xp mode (seperate download, win7 Pro+),
defender, MRT, windows firewall (inbound and outbound rules) and free
antivirus (seperate download, xp,vista,win7)

program compatability, no problems so far everything works, things that
do have small problems you just turn compatability mode on and tell the
program its XP sp2.

> The biggest problem noted with Windows 7 so far is the lack of a mail tool.
> Supposedly, neither Outlook Express nor Vista's mail program are included in
> the Win7 package, and this bites. Now I have to try several mail tools and
> find one I like. Since I've been using OE for so long, I'm not looking
> forward to it. Something about old dogs and new tricks.

I can see your point but Outlook is a huge problem there are plenty of
free email clients out there, and with most people using webmail these
days it's not really a probelm, but I guess your like me and like a mail
client

I do belive Outlook is still supplied in the MS Office package tho so it
wont effect buisness customers.

> Whether I agree or not, it is good to hear your review of the OS. I like to
> hear both good and bad things about a product before I buy. More informed
> decision and all that.

I have said before that I like win7, have been using it since beta and
RC and I receved my copy of win7 pro (full retail) on release day and
installed it, it is worth getting while its cheap BTW, I got the Full
retail as I'm a EU customer and the IE was supposed to be removed, but I
can confirm that the EU copy HAS IE and there were no choice windows
(supposed to chose between IE, firefox, opera and a few others)

Full retail package includes 32 bit, 64bit, upgrade and clean install.

> Aren't you going to sell your unused copies of Win7 instead of leaving them
> on a shelf?
> Are you going to upgrade your XP to SP3? If not, why?

SP3 has a few bugs, theres one particular one that messes up the Realtec
Audio driver, you have to install XP sp2 , audio driver then SP3 or it
will not work, so XP SP3 slipstream disks are problematic.

I think Bill mentiond on an erlier post that it was slow, I have not
expierenced this at all I'd say it was faster (Qaud core, virulisation
support, 4GB ram, also tested on AMD 64x2, 4Gb ram) should probably
assemble an old AMD socket A 2600+ and try it on that see how it pans out.

JD