Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Access Denied for shared folders

Access Denied for shared folders

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

Okay, I have seen a whole bunch of file and print sharing issues here but
none of them clearly answer my issues, which are simple I am sure.

I have two desktop computers and one laptop, they are all running Windows XP
Home edition. I have a Linksys Wireless Gateway which all the computers are
connected to the internet via a residential gateway network. I am useing the
microsoft firewall. I can print from all the computers to the one computer
that has the printer. I can see a whole bunch of available folders on the
computer that has the printer for example, from the laptop. However, when I
try to select any of these, including the Shareddocs folder, I get the error
Access Denied. What is up? Can someone just give me a simple and clear
answer as to why I can see but not select any of these folders? If I have to
turn off the Firewall, then that is an unacceptable optioin.

Clark

Turning off the firewall is a normal troubleshooting step. If you are
worried about the interned, remove the connection.

Do the folders you wish to share have a hand under them in the icon? Have
you looked at the sharing and securities settings when you right click on
the folder?

Are you a user on the other computer?

Clark

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, I have seen a whole bunch of file and print sharing issues here but
> none of them clearly answer my issues, which are simple I am sure.
>
> I have two desktop computers and one laptop, they are all running Windows
> XP
> Home edition. I have a Linksys Wireless Gateway which all the computers
> are
> connected to the internet via a residential gateway network. I am useing
> the
> microsoft firewall. I can print from all the computers to the one
> computer
> that has the printer. I can see a whole bunch of available folders on the
> computer that has the printer for example, from the laptop. However, when
> try to select any of these, including the Shareddocs folder, I get the
> error
> Access Denied. What is up? Can someone just give me a simple and clear
> answer as to why I can see but not select any of these folders? If I have
> turn off the Firewall, then that is an unacceptable optioin.

Frank

Everything Clark said plus:
once you have your network working and sharing you add the computers to the
trusted zones on your firewall. If it's XP firewall, their is tons of info
at microsoft to tell you what to do. It is very easy.
Good Luck
Frank L

"Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:32NEe.16$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Turning off the firewall is a normal troubleshooting step. If you are
> worried about the interned, remove the connection.
>
> Do the folders you wish to share have a hand under them in the icon? Have
> you looked at the sharing and securities settings when you right click on
> the folder?
>
> Are you a user on the other computer?

> Clark
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Okay, I have seen a whole bunch of file and print sharing issues here but
>> none of them clearly answer my issues, which are simple I am sure.
>>
>> I have two desktop computers and one laptop, they are all running Windows
>> XP
>> Home edition. I have a Linksys Wireless Gateway which all the computers
>> are
>> connected to the internet via a residential gateway network. I am useing
>> the
>> microsoft firewall. I can print from all the computers to the one
>> computer
>> that has the printer. I can see a whole bunch of available folders on
>> the
>> computer that has the printer for example, from the laptop. However,
>> when I
>> try to select any of these, including the Shareddocs folder, I get the
>> error
>> Access Denied. What is up? Can someone just give me a simple and clear
>> answer as to why I can see but not select any of these folders? If I
>> have to
>> turn off the Firewall, then that is an unacceptable optioin.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

One question before I try these things, in my wireless client manager, right
now I have only my Wireless Gateway Internet connection, should I have an
additional one for the file sharing from computer to computer? Or are they
going through the Access Point to each other? I guess I don't really
understand what is going on here. They are all currently Individual
computers that access the network through a Residential Gateway, maybe this
is my problem?