Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > problems on installing PyGTK in Windows XP

problems on installing PyGTK in Windows XP

Yang

Python 2.6.3 is installed on my Windows XP throught the binary file
provided by Python.org. Then I followed the steps described here:

http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=sh...=faq21.001.htp

to install PyGTK. However, I still get the following error:
>>> import pygtk
>>> pygtk.require('2.0')
>>> import gtk

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line
48, in <mod
ule>
from gtk import _gtk

I googled this problem and noticed that there are quite a few people
having the same problem. But I am unable to find anything which helps
me solve this problem.

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Thanks!

News123

Hi Yang,

Did you modify the path environment variable to point to your gtk lib?

This might be the problem.

Below the steps, that I followed.

> General instructions are under http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html
>
> In detail:
>
> Install the GTK+ bundle
>
> * Download the bundle http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binar...1013_win32.zip
> * unpack it and copy the directory for example to C:\
> * Now append C:\gtk+-bundle_2.16.6-20091013_win32\bin to the path environment variable of windows You can change it under:
> My_Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment_Variables->System_Variables->Path
>
> Test it:
> Open a new cmd window and type
>
> gtk-demo
>
> A window should pop up. if not your installation failed
>

> Now install PyCairo, PyGObject and PyGTK (please select the binary corresponding to your python version) The links are currently:
>
> * http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binar...2/pycairo/1.4/
> * http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binar...ygobject/2.14/
> * http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binar...32/pygtk/2.12/

bye