Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PySide > PyQt

PySide > PyQt

rm

Have you guys heard about PySide:

http://www.pyside.org/

It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL. The FAQ explains a bit more
history. Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

rm

On Oct 20, 6:14*pm, Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-10-20 16:48 PM, rm wrote:
>
> > Have you guys heard about PySide:

> >http://www.pyside.org/

> > It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
> > licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL. *The FAQ explains a bit more
> > history. *Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

> Welcome to two months ago.
>
> PySide still needs a fair chunk of work to go before it could really be claimed
> that it is a wholesale replacement for PyQt, but it looks like it will be a
> compelling alternative.

I did a search for PySide here and only saw the announcement. I was
surprised that no discussion ensued, did I miss it. So, I assumed
that not a lot of people knew about it and wanted to help spread the
word and hear some opinions. But, what you say is probably right on
the mark. Thanks.

Carl Banks

On Oct 20, 6:45*pm, rm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 6:14*pm, Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 2009-10-20 16:48 PM, rm wrote:

> > > Have you guys heard about PySide:

> > >http://www.pyside.org/

> > > It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
> > > licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL. *The FAQ explains a bit more
> > > history. *Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

> > Welcome to two months ago.

> > PySide still needs a fair chunk of work to go before it could really be claimed
> > that it is a wholesale replacement for PyQt, but it looks like it will be a
> > compelling alternative.

> I did a search for PySide here and only saw the announcement. *I was
> surprised that no discussion ensued, did I miss it. *So, I assumed
> that not a lot of people knew about it and wanted to help spread the
> word and hear some opinions. *But, what you say is probably right on
> the mark. *Thanks.

One thing PySide has going against it is the shared library binaries
are a lot larger than PyQT4's, because of its use of boost:ython.
Not a good thing for something that exists so that it can be put on a
mobile device.

Still, I see PySide being the eventual end of my GUI toolkit journeys.

Carl Banks

Robert Kern

On 2009-10-21 07:11 AM, Carl Banks wrote:

> One thing PySide has going against it is the shared library binaries
> are a lot larger than PyQT4's, because of its use of boost:ython.
> Not a good thing for something that exists so that it can be put on a
> mobile device.

I believe the consensus amongst the PySide devs is to move to the Shiboken
wrapper generator which uses the raw CPython API. It still needs a lot of work,
though.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

PySide / PyQt autocompletion in IDEs Merwin Python 0 12-29-2011 08:22 PM
OSX application built with py2app can't see bundled PySide module? Aaron Scott Python 1 09-02-2011 01:21 PM
PySide: Python for Qt version 1.0.0~beta2 "Mineshaft gap" released Matti Airas Python 0 12-18-2010 12:04 AM
PySide > PyQt rm Python 0 10-20-2009 09:45 PM
ANN: PySide has been released Lauro Moura Python 0 08-18-2009 02:06 PM

Advertisments