Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Processes

Processes

Andy Petro

In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean . Is
this amount normal ?
It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
memory

chuckcar

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hbj2ql$s2p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean
> . Is this amount normal ?
> It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
> memory

Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:hbj2ql$s2p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean
>> . Is this amount normal ?
>> It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
>> memory

>Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

How's it going to restart if they disabled startup?
--

From jog to sprint
or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2rW1alVv8

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean . Is
>this amount normal ?
>It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
>memory

To me 60 process in the task manager is a lot. as there are many more
that aren't being shown.

I keep mine within the 30 range.

Almost every program you install want's to phone home for an update,
it might see once a year if that.

That's the first thing I'd do is right click on each system tray icon
(that's not important, Like the Java icon) and disable it from calling
out. (Java I actually had to delete the update program to stop it, you
can still manually update it)

Then each program you run go into options and stop the auto updates.

As Nobody mentioned use Process explorer.

I tried an online search, so I could tell you how to configure it, it
used to be google only but Microsoft bought sysinternals, I figured
you needed I.E. to search.

BUT I couldn't do a search, I have the latest 11.33 and it won't work
for me. In fact:
"since 11.00, online search does not work. it opens the web browser,
calls google, but only searches for "%1""
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_...6397&PID=55311

Sorry bout that, as it was really handy - you can double click on a
process, go to image, copy the file name and enter it into google, the
file name, to google is usually the last file name in the command line
section.

Speaking of Autoruns it's very handy if you know what your doing, if
you don't, you can disable things that shouldn't be.

Use this program to stop DLL's from loading twice, if it can't find a
file (file missing) try to find it or why it's gone - reinstall the
program or stop the file from trying to load.

also if you trying to connect to a network during startup and it's
down it will take a long time to boot up.

Just a few reasons you might be having long startup problems - but
trimming 60 process's down to 20-40 would help a lot.

--

From jog to sprint
or
If it's your time, you can't hide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2rW1alVv8

hwf

Andy Petro wrote:
> In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean . Is
> this amount normal ?
> It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
> memory

Install "HijackThis" and poast the output, net abuser

Or get processkill and start experimentin!

Good Times.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39MhPrLQz4

www.snuhwolf.9f.com | http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

_..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
: `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
: .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
: .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
: .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
:. .::' ::: : `: .:::
`: .:: : : .::'
: .:: . :. .::
: ::' `: .::.
.\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
:.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
: `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
. :' .::. .: .:: :
: :' ::: :' .:: .
: `:: : .::
:' .::. .: .:::
: .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
: .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
: .::: ::: ::: .:::
: .::: ::: ::: .:::
`._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
~~~ :: :: ~~~

Tony

That makes perfect sense to me.

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:hbj2ql$s2p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
> >
> >> In task manager I have a list of about 60 processes . What do they mean
> >> . Is this amount normal ?
> >> It takes a long time for my computer to start up. Win XP.Pro . 1 gig of
> >> memory

> >Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

> How's it going to restart if they disabled startup?
> --
>
> From jog to sprint
> or
> If it's your time, you can't hide.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2rW1alVv8

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

rf

news(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:hbj2ql$s2p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

>>> Try disabling startup by running msconfig and restart.

>> How's it going to restart if they disabled startup?

> You can temporarily turn off everything in startup and the computer will
> work just fine. Add back the items you need such as antivirus.

Untill you end up with 60 processes running.