Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 freeze

Windows 7 freeze

VE2

Hello
I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
and restarting several times did not help. I ended up
booting from my system repair disk and doing a full
image restore from my backup.
Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
could have done?

Bobby Johnson

Virtually impossible to know without more information.

VE2 wrote:
> Hello
> I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
> some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
> I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
> I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
> busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
> and restarting several times did not help. I ended up booting from my
> system repair disk and doing a full
> image restore from my backup.
> Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
> could have done?

VE2

Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
the task manager to get a clue...

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Virtually impossible to know without more information.
>
> VE2 wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
>> some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
>> I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
>> I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
>> busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
>> and restarting several times did not help. I ended up booting from my
>> system repair disk and doing a full
>> image restore from my backup.
>> Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
>> could have done?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Some things to try if this happens again:

hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see if
it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe mode,
and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the startup
process and try booting to see if that solves it.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
> the task manager to get a clue...
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Virtually impossible to know without more information.
>>
>> VE2 wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
>>> some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
>>> I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
>>> I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
>>> busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
>>> and restarting several times did not help. I ended up booting from my
>>> system repair disk and doing a full
>>> image restore from my backup.
>>> Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
>>> could have done?

VE2

Yes, I should have tried that. My backup was only a couple of
days old so I went that route. One thing it allowed me to do
after ctrl-alt-del was switch users but I only had one. I now
have two with admin privileges; hopefully now I could at least
do a simple restore point.

news:ePC#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some things to try if this happens again:
>
> hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see if
> it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe mode,
> and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the startup
> process and try booting to see if that solves it.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
>> the task manager to get a clue...
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Virtually impossible to know without more information.

mikeyhsd

did you by chance notice if all your devices properly propagated when booting.

sometimes a hard drive fails to spin up in time.

"VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:et8%(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello
I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
and restarting several times did not help. I ended up
booting from my system repair disk and doing a full
image restore from my backup.
Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
could have done?

John Barnes

You can do a restore point from the install DVD

"VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I should have tried that. My backup was only a couple of
> days old so I went that route. One thing it allowed me to do
> after ctrl-alt-del was switch users but I only had one. I now
> have two with admin privileges; hopefully now I could at least
> do a simple restore point.

> news:ePC#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Some things to try if this happens again:
>>
>> hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see
>> if it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe
>> mode, and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the
>> startup process and try booting to see if that solves it.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
>>> the task manager to get a clue...
>>>
>>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

VE2

Good to know! The system repair disk had a restore point
option but in my case the restore failed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can do a restore point from the install DVD
>
> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, I should have tried that. My backup was only a couple of
>> days old so I went that route. One thing it allowed me to do
>> after ctrl-alt-del was switch users but I only had one. I now
>> have two with admin privileges; hopefully now I could at least
>> do a simple restore point.

>> news:ePC#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Some things to try if this happens again:
>>>
>>> hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see
>>> if it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe
>>> mode, and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the
>>> startup process and try booting to see if that solves it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>

>>> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

VE2

Everything seemed normal. The PC is multibooted with Windows XP
and it worked fine so I don't suspect hardware.

What I do suspect now however was the last program I installed and was
running before shutdown - picophone, a 32bit voip app. Perhaps because
it deals with IP addresses and port numbers (maybe some assembly language?)
it is not 64bit compatible.

"mikeyhsd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
did you by chance notice if all your devices properly propagated when booting.

sometimes a hard drive fails to spin up in time.

(E-Mail Removed)

freeze string fails to freeze ??? jwaala.amplify@gmail.com Ruby 5 03-15-2007 11:29 PM
windows freeze pat Computer Support 2 10-28-2004 05:55 PM
Machine freeze-ups, weird Windows? Xeno Chauvin Computer Support 0 10-02-2004 05:22 PM
windows freeze LO&MsLO Computer Support 20 02-27-2004 03:03 AM
Windows XP temporary windows freeze Stuart Betts Computer Support 0 07-27-2003 09:33 PM

Advertisments