Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Powerline networking

Re: Powerline networking

Pavel A.

"Jef Roe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am I missing something on this networking principle...
>
> Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
> implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.

No, why? A kit contains *both* devices either 14 or 85 Mbps.
Newer powerline devices on sale now are 200 Mbps.
14 Mbps are very old and should sell dirt cheap.

> Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.

Regards,
--pa

Barb Bowman

there are some caveats. for instance, in an MDU environment, if you
do NOT enable security on the PL devices, depending on how the
building is wired, your neighbor can see and join your network
simply by purchasing a PL adapter.

as was said earlier, there are RFI issues. the presence on say, a
uninterruptible power supply or filtration device on the same
circuit (does not have to be on the same outlet) can stop the
transmission or greatly reduce the speed.

the future will bring something called WiFi Direct - devices that
can auto negotiate a secure wifi connection with a special
handshake.

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:49:09 +0200, "Pavel A."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
>It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
>No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
>no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
>Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
>You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
>And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Barb Bowman

bluetooth can do this today.
the WiFi Alliance folks will certify this new technology. If it
means a very secure connection, I would like it.

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:45:25 +0100, "Jef Roe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>anything or anyone using those special handshakes should be steered clear
>of...IMHO.
>

>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> there are some caveats. for instance, in an MDU environment, if you
>> do NOT enable security on the PL devices, depending on how the
>> building is wired, your neighbor can see and join your network
>> simply by purchasing a PL adapter.
>>
>> as was said earlier, there are RFI issues. the presence on say, a
>> uninterruptible power supply or filtration device on the same
>> circuit (does not have to be on the same outlet) can stop the
>> transmission or greatly reduce the speed.
>>
>> the future will bring something called WiFi Direct - devices that
>> can auto negotiate a secure wifi connection with a special
>> handshake.
>>
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:49:09 +0200, "Pavel A."
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
>>>It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
>>>No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
>>>no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
>>>Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
>>>You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
>>>And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.

>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP
>> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
>> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Pavel A.

"Jef Roe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> anything or anyone using those special handshakes should be steered clear
> of...IMHO.

this means an excellent security

-pa

Re: Powerline networking Jack [MVP-Networking] Wireless Networking 0 10-18-2009 12:22 AM
Re: Powerline networking Lem Wireless Networking 0 10-17-2009 05:23 PM
Powerline ethernet gene martinez Cisco 5 02-22-2006 11:52 PM
Powerline ethernet TT Computer Support 0 04-30-2004 10:07 PM
Powerline Ethernet Jim PKP Computer Support 7 03-02-2004 06:01 PM

Advertisments