Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Powerline networking

Re: Powerline networking

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
One of the problems with info concerning Entry Level Network hardware is
that their is No adequate disclose about what the quoted "Speed" numbers
actually mean.
The numbers usually represent the Speed of the core chipset of the Network
device, it does not represent the real world performance that as it is
affected by the rest of the hardware, the OS, the software, and in cases of
Wireless and Power Line, the environmental effects of the medium (I.e signal
in the air, and the Power Lines per-se).
The actual PowerLine Network Speed is greatly reduced by the need for signal
compression, security, and by the compensation for spikes and instabilities
in the specific power line system thta the adaptors are plugged into.
"Speed" (Bandwidth) expectation of Ethernet Home Networks using Windows -
http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware? -
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Jef Roe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am I missing something on this networking principle...
>
> Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
> implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.
>
> Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

Re: Powerline networking Pavel A. Wireless Networking 3 10-29-2009 12:59 PM
Re: Powerline networking Lem Wireless Networking 0 10-17-2009 05:23 PM
Powerline ethernet gene martinez Cisco 5 02-22-2006 11:52 PM
Powerline ethernet TT Computer Support 0 04-30-2004 10:07 PM
Powerline Ethernet Jim PKP Computer Support 7 03-02-2004 06:01 PM

Advertisments