Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra's "managed" speeds

Xtra's "managed" speeds

Jack Spratt

No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
cease to be.
I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
broadband speed tests.
However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
unplayable.
I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
posting this through Google.
I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
just fine with acceptable speeds.
Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
Am I being "managed"?

Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
unmanaged speeds enjoy?

Gordon

On 2009-10-17, Jack Spratt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
> Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
> types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
> Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
> cease to be.
> I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
> My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
> broadband speed tests.
> However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
> 120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
> Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
> unplayable.
> I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
> posting this through Google.
> I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
> just fine with acceptable speeds.
> Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
> Am I being "managed"?
>
> Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
> unmanaged speeds enjoy?

i have no real problem with the speed of p2p, for it goes 24/7. A bit like
the water and power supply to ones place. Or the roads for that matter. If
I am downloading a Creative Commons copyrighted movie, (yes they do exist,
thanks Mininova), I care not if it arrives now! For it is "project" I am
receiving via the Internet. To date it is free of advertisments. yes!

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:00:02 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Jack Spratt wrote:
>> No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
>> Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
>> types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
>> Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
>> cease to be.
>> I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
>> My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
>> broadband speed tests.
>> However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
>> 120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
>> Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
>> unplayable.
>> I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
>> posting this through Google.
>> I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
>> just fine with acceptable speeds.
>> Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
>> Am I being "managed"?
>>
>> Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
>> unmanaged speeds enjoy?

>GoLarge seemed to have FTP pegged to about 500kbps max, as well as USNET
>binaries even slower .
>
>But if you want to view vapid crap on YouTube, you ae OK for speed !
>
>geoff

Any idea if they allow full speed in the depths of the night? Or is
it restricted 24/7?

Donchano

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:30:58 +1300, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> shouted from the highest
rooftop:

>On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:00:02 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Jack Spratt wrote:
>>> No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
>>> Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
>>> types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
>>> Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
>>> cease to be.
>>> I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
>>> My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
>>> broadband speed tests.
>>> However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
>>> 120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
>>> Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
>>> unplayable.
>>> I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
>>> posting this through Google.
>>> I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
>>> just fine with acceptable speeds.
>>> Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
>>> Am I being "managed"?
>>>
>>> Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
>>> unmanaged speeds enjoy?

>>GoLarge seemed to have FTP pegged to about 500kbps max, as well as USNET
>>binaries even slower .
>>
>>But if you want to view vapid crap on YouTube, you ae OK for speed !
>>
>>geoff

>Any idea if they allow full speed in the depths of the night? Or is
>it restricted 24/7?

In theory, "Big Time" is only supposed to be throttled during "peak
times." Or to quote Telecom:

"However, because of this we manage all the traffic on Big
Time. When the network is busy (generally inside the hours of 9am and
2am) you may noticed reduced speeds; in particular you are likely to
see reduced speeds in relation to file sharing."

That's similar to what Xtra promised with "Go Large" when it was
launched. In practice, however, speeds were throttled back to what
you'd expect from a dial-up connection most of the time. Which is why
customers such as me made formal complaints to the Commerce Commission
and why the commission forced Telecom-Xtra to refund some piddling
amount to Go Large customers and withdraw the plan.

I'm going to take Telecom's offer to trial Big Time for the same price
as Go Large ($49.95mo) to see if they pull the same crap as last time.
If so, I'll make another formal complaint and shift to the 10gig
"Explorer" plan because I can easily discipline myself to stay within
that monthly limit as long as an old friend doesn't keep sending me
huge multi-megabyte files showing sunsets and cute animals.

Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download speeds =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?= Wireless Networking 3 09-15-2007 06:22 AM
Regarding upload/Download speeds vasavi Wireless Networking 1 12-08-2005 05:11 PM
Speeds The One Firefox 13 10-23-2005 08:40 PM
Slow 54Mbps G network - what are typical speeds? Chris Wireless Networking 8 06-30-2004 04:58 AM
Core speeds and memory speeds??? Xeno Chauvin Computer Support 1 10-03-2003 03:21 AM

Advertisments