Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Router wanted

Reply
Thread Tools

Router wanted

 
 
JayJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2009
Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
setup, and not too expensive would be great.

Cheers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:34:00 +1300, JayJay <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
>access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
>setup, and not too expensive would be great.
>
>Cheers.


http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ad797...ct/View/XH9949

4 port at $69.98

Or a whole bunch of choices on TradeMe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...tFromAll=False


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
> setup, and not too expensive would be great.


I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
JayJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:26:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
>> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
>> setup, and not too expensive would be great.

>
> I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
> with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.


Thanks to both Donchano and Dave. I've downloaded the manual for both
the units and will spend a little time reading before making a
decision. Both are reasonably priced so it's just a matter to see
which one seems the easiest to setup.

Cheers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
Donchano wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:34:00 +1300, JayJay <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
>> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
>> setup, and not too expensive would be great.
>>
>> Cheers.

>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ad797...ct/View/XH9949
>
> 4 port at $69.98


Wont work.
He's wanting a router that works on Telstra Clear CABLE. (not ADSL)

I did what he's wanting to do three weeks ago, link two computers to
allow internet access on Telstra Clear cabe.

Got this one:
D-Link DIS-300
http://search.dse.co.nz/search?w=D-L...30&submit.y=13

Had it on special at the time, $99.00 (now $129.00)
Could pay to shop around knowing DSE prices.

I recomend it as a small basic home network router.

Easy to set up and configure, when you read the manual, and online help
screens and and saves you having to ask silly questions in newsgroups on
how to turn things on and off...



--
(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
In article <1wdkp1e89yd84$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:26:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
> >> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
> >> setup, and not too expensive would be great.

> >
> > I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
> > with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.

>
> Thanks to both Donchano and Dave. I've downloaded the manual for both
> the units and will spend a little time reading before making a
> decision. Both are reasonably priced so it's just a matter to see
> which one seems the easiest to setup.


I should add, that Grant @ Tastech told me all the Telstrclear techs buy
the DIR 300/320's too.

I've installed about 15 of them - never had a problem. Easy as pie to
setup.

There's a wee 'trick'...

Set 'em up: Cable modem => D-link DIR300 => PC

1. Cycle the power on the cablemodem - Unplug the power to the cable
modem, wait 10 secs, plug back in. Wait one minute for it to boot up.

2. Now do the same w' the DIR300 or 320. It will now pickup the MAC
from the cablemodem (it *may* *not* do that otherwise).

Run the DIR300 wiz - yer done!

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <1wdkp1e89yd84$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:26:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
> >
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > >> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
> > >> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
> > >> setup, and not too expensive would be great.
> > >
> > > I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
> > > with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.

> >
> > Thanks to both Donchano and Dave. I've downloaded the manual for both
> > the units and will spend a little time reading before making a
> > decision. Both are reasonably priced so it's just a matter to see
> > which one seems the easiest to setup.

>
> I should add, that Grant @ Tastech told me all the Telstrclear techs buy
> the DIR 300/320's too.
>
> I've installed about 15 of them - never had a problem. Easy as pie to
> setup.
>
> There's a wee 'trick'...
>
> Set 'em up: Cable modem => D-link DIR300 => PC
>
> 1. Cycle the power on the cablemodem - Unplug the power to the cable
> modem, wait 10 secs, plug back in. Wait one minute for it to boot up.
>
> 2. Now do the same w' the DIR300 or 320. It will now pickup the MAC
> from the cablemodem (it *may* *not* do that otherwise).
>
> Run the DIR300 wiz - yer done!


Oh yeah (doesn't seem to affect anything, but), but turn off DHCP on the
cablemodem (as your DIR300 will be doing DHCP now).

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mary Hanna
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:48:35 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> In article <1wdkp1e89yd84$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:26:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
>> >
>> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > > (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > >> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
>> > >> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
>> > >> setup, and not too expensive would be great.
>> > >
>> > > I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
>> > > with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.
>> >
>> > Thanks to both Donchano and Dave. I've downloaded the manual for both
>> > the units and will spend a little time reading before making a
>> > decision. Both are reasonably priced so it's just a matter to see
>> > which one seems the easiest to setup.

>>
>> I should add, that Grant @ Tastech told me all the Telstrclear techs buy
>> the DIR 300/320's too.
>>
>> I've installed about 15 of them - never had a problem. Easy as pie to
>> setup.
>>
>> There's a wee 'trick'...
>>
>> Set 'em up: Cable modem => D-link DIR300 => PC
>>
>> 1. Cycle the power on the cablemodem - Unplug the power to the cable
>> modem, wait 10 secs, plug back in. Wait one minute for it to boot up.
>>
>> 2. Now do the same w' the DIR300 or 320. It will now pickup the MAC
>> from the cablemodem (it *may* *not* do that otherwise).
>>
>> Run the DIR300 wiz - yer done!

>
>Oh yeah (doesn't seem to affect anything, but), but turn off DHCP on the
>cablemodem (as your DIR300 will be doing DHCP now).




Why pay such high price

Ascent has them for $79.13

PP at $84



Or this Level One 108Mbbs

for $95


http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=130305
 
Reply With Quote
 
JayJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:46:33 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

> In article <1wdkp1e89yd84$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:26:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
>>>> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
>>>> setup, and not too expensive would be great.
>>>
>>> I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
>>> with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.

>>
>> Thanks to both Donchano and Dave. I've downloaded the manual for both
>> the units and will spend a little time reading before making a
>> decision. Both are reasonably priced so it's just a matter to see
>> which one seems the easiest to setup.

>
> I should add, that Grant @ Tastech told me all the Telstrclear techs buy
> the DIR 300/320's too.


Nice to know.
>
> I've installed about 15 of them - never had a problem. Easy as pie to
> setup.
>
> There's a wee 'trick'...
>
> Set 'em up: Cable modem => D-link DIR300 => PC
>
> 1. Cycle the power on the cablemodem - Unplug the power to the cable
> modem, wait 10 secs, plug back in. Wait one minute for it to boot up.
>
> 2. Now do the same w' the DIR300 or 320. It will now pickup the MAC
> from the cablemodem (it *may* *not* do that otherwise).
>
> Run the DIR300 wiz - yer done!


Had a quick run though of the manual and it seems all clear and easy
to setup, thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
JayJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2009
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:48:35 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> In article <1wdkp1e89yd84$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:26:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
>>>
>>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> >> Anyone recommend a router to connect two (2) home computers to allow
>>> >> access to the internet via Telstraclear cable. Simple installation and
>>> >> setup, and not too expensive would be great.
>>> >
>>> > I've used the D-link DIR 300 (or 320 if you want a print-server too) -
>>> > with great sucess - easy to setup and config for sure.
>>>
>>> Thanks to both Donchano and Dave. I've downloaded the manual for both
>>> the units and will spend a little time reading before making a
>>> decision. Both are reasonably priced so it's just a matter to see
>>> which one seems the easiest to setup.

>>
>> I should add, that Grant @ Tastech told me all the Telstrclear techs buy
>> the DIR 300/320's too.
>>
>> I've installed about 15 of them - never had a problem. Easy as pie to
>> setup.
>>
>> There's a wee 'trick'...
>>
>> Set 'em up: Cable modem => D-link DIR300 => PC
>>
>> 1. Cycle the power on the cablemodem - Unplug the power to the cable
>> modem, wait 10 secs, plug back in. Wait one minute for it to boot up.
>>
>> 2. Now do the same w' the DIR300 or 320. It will now pickup the MAC
>> from the cablemodem (it *may* *not* do that otherwise).
>>
>> Run the DIR300 wiz - yer done!

>
> Oh yeah (doesn't seem to affect anything, but), but turn off DHCP on the
> cablemodem (as your DIR300 will be doing DHCP now).


I made a copy of your postings and will keep them for reference,
thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a router with 29 Global IPs, BUT can't ping router internal interface from server or server interface from router war_wheelan@yahoo.com Cisco 1 12-14-2005 03:31 PM
Suggestions Wanted For Router Fred Atkinson Cisco 3 03-02-2005 05:47 AM
WANTED: AT desktop cases, wanted for sculpture. Brett NZ Computing 0 09-09-2004 07:14 AM
HELP WANTED HELP WANTED HELP WANTED Harvey ASP .Net 1 07-16-2004 01:12 PM
HELP WANTED HELP WANTED HELP WANTED Harvey ASP .Net 0 07-16-2004 10:00 AM



Advertisments