Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sound Card Question Re "Integrated Sound"

Sound Card Question Re "Integrated Sound"

Robert11

Hello,

I might be purchasing a shortwave radio that is called a "software defined
radio" type.

Uses the PC, and its software, to do a lot of the radio functions, etc.

It mentioned that the sound card should be of the "duplex" bi-directional
type.

Have no idea what they are asking for.

Specifically, is it "likely" that a new PC that has "integrated sound",
rather than having one of the SoundBlaster types of individual sound cards
has this feature ?

Thanks,
Bob

why?

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:45:36 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I might be purchasing a shortwave radio that is called a "software defined
>radio" type.

It may be handy to not forget the make/model , links to manfacturer
manuals. Perhaps even a subject line with - Sounds Card duplex type for
make/model. It's highlights what your post is about.

>Uses the PC, and its software, to do a lot of the radio functions, etc.
>
>It mentioned that the sound card should be of the "duplex" bi-directional
>type.
>
>Have no idea what they are asking for.
>
>Specifically, is it "likely" that a new PC that has "integrated sound",

Yes. Ditto, make / model. It's harder to compare, confirm , deny if the
above requirements re duplex exist.

Would take is as early ISA / any ISA card half duplex, and modern PCI
full duplex.

>rather than having one of the SoundBlaster types of individual sound cards
>has this feature ?

www.google.com
soundcard full duplex capable

#
SANS
A simple way to determine if a sound card is full-duplex capable is to
play any audio file with Windows Media Player and attempt to use Windows
Sound ...
www.sansinc.com/FAQ_4.html - Cached - Similar
#
Computer Sound Card Help
A full-duplex sound card is capable of both playing and recording sounds
at the same time. ... If your sound card is supposed to be full-duplex
capable, ...
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/compu...-card-help.htm - Cached - Similar
#
Problems with Packet Connections
25 Apr 2009 ... Is Your Sound Card Full Duplex Capable? Can your sound
card send and receive simultaneously? In Windows, you can test for
full-duplex ...
www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/5probconnect.htm - Cached - Similar
#
Must Take Turns Speaking in NetMeeting

Sound card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Early ISA bus soundcards were half-duplex, meaning they could not record
and ... Many PCI bus cards do not have these limitations and are mostly
full-duplex. ... not the amount of digital audio streams the card is
capable of handling. ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card - Cached - Similar

>Thanks,
>Bob