Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dell Dimension 4550

Dell Dimension 4550

Chet

My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
any increase in the computer.any suggestions

thanks
Chet

baron

Chet Inscribed thus:

> My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old,
> it runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg
> ram, processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking
> make it noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on
> board make any increase in the computer.any suggestions
>
> thanks
> Chet

If its running Wins, get rid of the virus first. Or run Linux and then
see how fast it is !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

JD

Chet wrote:
> My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
> runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
> processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
> noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
> any increase in the computer.any suggestions
>
> thanks
> Chet

Hi Chet

you did not mention what the pc is used for, but I assume its just
surfing the net etc. as it has onboard GFX, I guess its also Window's XP
Reinstalling the OS (XP) upgrading the ram to 2GB+ (PC3200 DDR) and
fitting a faster hard drive such as a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB (SATA-II,
check your motherboard can support SATA-II), would more than likely make
a noticeable difference.

if you don't play games or have a huge display then upgrading the GFX
card wont make much of a difference, apart from freeing up the used
system memory which is 64mb (you can usually change these setting in the
BIOS to use more or less ram)

in the end it all comes down to cash, check the prices of the parts and
compare it to a cheap pc, I say cheap but for £219 (which would probably
equate to around the same in USD) I can get a Intel Core Duo 2.6 GHz,
750Gb HD, 4GB ram, keyboard, mouse etc, no OS but that's still a good buy.

JD

gnu / linux

On Oct 15, 8:38 am, Chet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
> runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
> processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
> noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
> any increase in the computer.any suggestions
>
> thanks
> Chet

Don't waste money upgrading a 6+ year old Dell

Paul

Chet wrote:
> My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
> runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
> processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
> noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
> any increase in the computer.any suggestions
>
> thanks
> Chet

It has a 250W power supply, with 12V @ 14A in it, so you can't go overboard
with adding toys to it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...550/techov.htm

There is a spec sheet here.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...4550/specs.htm

*******
Max CPU - P4 3.06GHz/FSB533/512KB L2 Northwood with Hyperthreading.

This is the spec for the original 2.66GHz processor. Draws 66 watts.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL6PE

Fastest replacement S478 Northwood 3.06GHz. Draws 81 watts. Diff is 15 watts more.
Does 15% more CPU equal snappy ? Probably not.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL6PG

If shopping for a different processor, like finding a 3.06 on
Ebay, be aware there are Xeon processors that can be confused
with the desktop processor. I've seen Pricewatch stuff, where
the two processor types were mixed on the same web page.
*******

Chipset

845PE (single channel RAM, two slots). No speedup to speak of, system
is already at 1GB RAM via 2x512MB.

AGP 4X. Could fit a different video card. But the pokey 2.66GHz P4
is going to place some limits on how advanced a game it could run
in 3D. I had to overclock my P4 a bit, for example, to get smooth
game play.

This is an example of a replacement AGP card. This would speed up
3D games. Read the customer reviews.

An HD4670 would use the same bridging chip as X1950 Pro. That would
make that example video card "Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card". 845
chipset makes the motherboard a "AGP 1.5V Motherboard". The
"Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility" table here, says that
would work.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

The HD 4670 has a power consumption when flat out in a 3D game,
of 47.1 watts. Most of that would likely come from the 12V rail,
so that would be a 12V @ 4A load for the power supply.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...b_5.html#sect0

The approximate load on 12V now would be

proc + video + HDD + ODD + fans = 12V_loads (with CD spinning in CD tray)

6.11A + 4A + 0.6A + 1.5A + 0.5A = 12.71A (new video card, old processor)

That just fits within the 12V rating with not a lot to spare.

So that is an example of *an* upgrade, but it would only help
with 3D games, and with 3D games that are not currently CPU limited.
I had to overclock the processor on my old box, to get rid of
some stuttering, and a new motherboard with Core2 processor fixed
that right up.

I'd reluctantly have to agree, that putting another $100 into a
video card, is likely a waste of time. Sure, some 3D might go faster,
but as soon as some bloated game hits that CPU, it'll stutter for
sure.

Paul