Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Unified Stream-based (De)Compression Library

Unified Stream-based (De)Compression Library

Nordl÷w

Does anyone know of a compression/decompression library that, with a
unified interface, wraps the most common compression formats (gzip,
bzip2, lzma, ...) similar to what gstreamer, ffmpeg and libfreeimage
does for image and video files?

I just want a handle from which to read bytes or blocks of bytes from
a compressed file or buffer and underlying backend optimally
decompresses the related compressed blocks.

If its iostream compatible it's a bonus.

Thanks in advance,
Nordl÷w

Vaclav Haisman

Nordl├Âw wrote, On 15.10.2009 11:05:
> Does anyone know of a compression/decompression library that, with a
> unified interface, wraps the most common compression formats (gzip,
> bzip2, lzma, ...) similar to what gstreamer, ffmpeg and libfreeimage
> does for image and video files?
>
> I just want a handle from which to read bytes or blocks of bytes from
> a compressed file or buffer and underlying backend optimally
> decompresses the related compressed blocks.
>
> If its iostream compatible it's a bonus.

libarchive2. It is C library that is BSD licensed.

--
VH